Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: LP-E6 Battery & Memory card purchasing help.

Real Name
    James

LP-E6 Battery & Memory card purchasing help.

So I just bought the 5D MK II and it should be arriving within a couple of weeks. I'm currently on the search for all the accessories I will be needing. First I need the essentials, such as an extra battery and memory card. I heard certain batteries do not charge with the factory charger? Can anyone give me feedback on the following products. They look legit to me.

Canon LP-E6 Battery. $59
    http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...&refid=froogle

Transcend 32GB Compact Flash Card $98
    http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Comp.../dp/B002WE4H8I

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: LP-E6 Battery & Memory card purchasing help.

Hi Pat,

I'd be surprised if you need an extra battery; so long as you charge the battery at the end of the day after shooting, I doubt you could kill one in a day if you tried (unless you go crazy with live view and/or video).

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with Colin that generally a single LP-E6 battery should give you more than enough power for a day of shooting. However, I like to have a back up "just in case"...

I have used BP-511A batteries from Sterlingtek for years with great results however, the Sterlingtek Web site lists only LP-E6 battery Chargers, not the batteries themselves. I had been searching for a Sterlingtek LP-E6 Battery since I hope to soon purchase a Canon 7D.

There are however other third party batteries available such as the Li-Lon 1800mAh http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDAQ8wIwAg#

Here is a another third party battery I spied after doing several searches. This one is considerably less expensive:
    http://www.battdepot.com/model/canon/eos+7d/dca205.aspx

As I mentioned, I have had good results with Sterlingtek batteries but, I also have several "no name" BP-511A batteries which are going strong. The best thing I can say about these batteries is that I never have to pay attention which batteries are in my cameras. I would assume that there are, or will be soon, some good "no-name" LP-E6 batteries

I would expect as more 7D cameras are being used, that more third party batteries will become available and likely Sterlingtek may introduce this model battery since they have the charger in their inventory already.

BTW: Adorama has introduced a battery grip for the 7D under their label of "Flashpoint". I don't really seen the need for this grip unless a person needed to shoot long periods of video. Shooting still images, a pair of LP-E6 batteries should last for thousands of images. However, if a person wanted a battery grip, the Flashpoint is less than half the prive of the OEM Canon grip.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I don't really seen the need for this grip unless a person needed to shoot long periods of video. Shooting still images, a pair of LP-E6 batteries should last for thousands of images. However, if a person wanted a battery grip, the Flashpoint is less than half the price of the OEM Canon grip.
    Hi Richard,

I like a grip because I can get a more stable setup when shooting vertically at "marginal" shutter speeds (mind you, no choice with the 1Ds3 anyway).

On the topic of batteries, I've read that the "important thing" is to get ones where the cells have been made in Japan; it's OK to have the unit assembled in China, so long as they use Japanise cells.