Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hangar 1

Real Name
    Jason

Hangar 1

Here is a series of shots I took while visiting a distillery. I would really like to get some critiques on these photos. By the way their products were absolutely amazing. By far some of the finest spirits I have ever tasted. I actually got a really good laugh when they said "Are you familiar with how most vodkas are 3,4 and 5 times distilled? We get it right on the first try." They also made a series of whiskey and a few others. Anyway if you see it and are a fan of fine quality spirits, they will not let you down.

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Let me know what you all think

Re: Hangar 1

Excellent shots, Jason. Very strong colours, and you have handled the composition well. And the BW shot of the glass is very good.

Real Name
    Jason

thanks a lot. I'm pretty happy with how this set turned out.

I had this one in another thread but I didn't like the way I processed it. I just had a repass with it and i think it looks much better.

Hangar 1

by the way I neglected to mention that the place was named Hangar 1

Real Name
    Richard

They are all very strong shots . The B&W one is especially good to my mind and I think the last one is much improved.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    Hangar 1
    For know other reason that personal preference, this is my pick of a good bunch. I like the intensity of colour.

On shoot like this you can go for the industrial landscape type approach and seek to show wider views of whole industrial units or components, or you can get up close and concentrate of shape, texture, colour and tone on details of that wider view. I think your approach worked in this setting.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Well composed & rich colours. Nice shots, Jason. Did you show these to 'Hangar 1' people?

Real Name
    Jason

Thanks everyone this has been encouraging. I was really excited to go to hangar 1 when i found out we were going. It was a little overwhelming when we got there though. There was so much going on it was difficult to separate things. I also had challenges because of the very large sets of windows that ran down both sides of the building.

Donald- I got some wider shots but i felt that they didn't look right at all. There were a lot of empty space between things that would be focal points filled with a lot of metal support beams going everywhere. And with the windows it just didn't look right so that's why i did what i did. I guess i'm just glad to see it worked out.

Anyway i have not shown them to the hangar 1 people but now I'm thinking about trying to contact them. It was a small production place so I feel like they might actually appreciate sort of thing.

Thanks again all... Keep the feedback coming

Real Name
    John

Here is a series of shots I took while visiting a distillery. I would really like to get some critiques on these photos. By the way their products were absolutely amazing. By far some of the finest spirits I have ever tasted. I actually got a really good laugh when they said "Are you familiar with how most vodkas are 3,4 and 5 times distilled? We get it right on the first try." They also made a series of whiskey and a few others. Anyway if you see it and are a fan of fine quality spirits, they will not let you down.

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Hangar 1

Let me know what you all think
    I've had a few shots of London Dry Gin which I believe is re-distilled. It is a very flavorful spirit.

I like how the equipment is presented as still life with the colors and shapes taking center stage.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I've had a few shots of London Dry Gin which I believe is re-distilled.
    You are correct, London Dry Gin is redistilled. First a neutral spirit is made, usually made from a grain. Then it is infused with a variety of botanicals including juniper, obvious of course, and then it is distilled a second time. These are typically premium gins. Cheaper gins are usually compound gins which are a neutral spirit that is then infused with similar botanicals but is not diffused again.

Food and beverage is my cup of tea haha

Real Name
    Jason

So some of you have suggested that I should show these pictures to the people at Hangar 1. Pops gave me the idea to send them a collage of a few photos. Hopefully they will want to purchase some of the pictures. This is my first attempt at making a collage in photoshop, I know I know, i live under a stone. Let me know what you guys think and or what I should improve

Hangar 1

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

those ar really nice shots! the color is so intense, they're beatiful. i myself love the black and white one. you should definitely hit up the people at hangar1. i'd think they would be stoked.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

That looks good to me Jason.

Although I've not done that kind of thing myself, I think you have a good balance of colours and shapes there.

My only minor suggestion; if not too late/too difficult, would be to rotate the image top right clockwise a bit and/or perspective correct so the copper cylinder is parallel to the edge of the frame.

Good work,

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    That looks good to me Jason.

Although I've not done that kind of thing myself, I think you have a good balance of colours and shapes there.

My only minor suggestion; if not too late/too difficult, would be to rotate the image top right clockwise a bit and/or perspective correct so the copper cylinder is parallel to the edge of the frame.

Good work,
    It happens that it is not too late. That was something that had bothered me too.

Hangar 1

Any other changes?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Nope, not for me, I'd be well pleased with it.

That small adjustment has made more difference than I might have expected.

Excellent,

Real Name
    Pops

I would probably have strung the name of the company across the full width of the poster, top or bottom. Maybe vertical.

I like yours better.

I agree with the rotation. The colours are marvelous, the attention to detail is very good and I would be proud of that poster, were the plant mine.

Pops

Real Name
    Jason

Yeah rotating the photo made a big difference, defiantly a good call.

Should i make the gray outline wider, so that when I frame it the picture frame doesn't come to the edge of the pictures? not sure if that sentence makes sense ok so this is a total newbie photoshop question. If i have it set up as a document 20x16, do i have to print that size? or can it be scaled?

Thanks again Pops for the idea.

Jason

Real Name
    Pops

Yeah rotating the photo made a big difference, defiantly a good call.

Should i make the gray outline wider, so that when I frame it the picture frame doesn't come to the edge of the pictures? not sure if that sentence makes sense ok so this is a total newbie photoshop question. If i have it set up as a document 20x16, do i have to print that size? or can it be scaled?

Thanks again Pops for the idea.

Jason
    You are more than welcome.

I always size my pictures for the expected largest size I think I will print them. The print shop will be able to then make the print the size you want, if smaller. I use 600 dpi, which is way overkill, but gives me enough leeway to up another step or two in size. I use Adorama for my printing of anything over 5x7, as the techs there match my eye quite well and I don't have to worry much about sending instructions for push/pull. Their prices are good and you can watch for their sales and prebuy at discount for later printing. (I have nothing to do with the company except being a satisfied customer.)

Decide on the frame and measure how much you will be hiding under the frame edges. Allow for that in your PP work. You might want to leave even a bit more all around to show inside the frame, if the background sets off the picture better. In this case, if you use a very simple black poster frame, that will not be necessary. If you use a deep or very ornate frame, this is sometimes necessary to "get the picture away from the frame" for viewing. If you are doing a canvas wrap, there are other considerations to look at, also, as the edges of the print will be folded around the mount.

Look at some of the mat frames available in the various variety stores and you will see that many are two layers, of contrasting color. This is to give the picture separation from the frame for better display of the picture subject. Sometimes, you want the picture to show off the frame. Sometimes you want the frame and picture to combine into one viewing experience. Sometimes (most of the time?) you want the frame to conviently hold the picture for hanging and then get out of the way.

My philosophy, which doesn't match that of many others. But, it works for me.

Pops