Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Thinkin of selling an L series lens to get a non L series. Thoughts?

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

Thinkin of selling an L series lens to get a non L series. Thoughts?

Hello,
    I was thinking about selling my 17-40f4L to buy a 10-22f3.5. I have a 40D and the 17-40 is wide but i would like something wider. I like shooting downhill skateboarding while going 30-45mph. This doesn't allow me to look through the viewfinder, and i also like to get the camera close to the ground. I think a little wider lens would help out in that department and allow me to get closer to the subject. I also belive that the 10-22 is specifically for cropped sensors.
    I love the 17-40 and it is pretty much always on my camera. The consstuctio is great, and i like how the zoom is contained in the lens.
    I was just wondering if it was worth to "down grade." Or should I just keep it and get the other?
    Thanks to everyone. I'm so glad i found this site. I'm learning a ton!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Thinkin of selling an L series lens to get a non L series. Thoughts?

It all comes down to the Field of View that you need. How about upgrading the camera instead?

Real Name
    Allen

Re: Thinkin of selling an L series lens to get a non L series. Thoughts?

I own both of these lenses and use them pretty often. I love the 10-22 but keep in mind that it does create a lot of perspective distortion when your not perpendicular to your scene. Good or bad I like the effect this creates in many of my landscapes (think tall trees converging) and wide buildings. This may not be exactly what your after as you mention shooting from low positions as a desired requirement. It's wide! Very wide so watch your feet!

I have never tried it for action shots but can say that it does not handle bright light as well as the 17-40. I tend to do more post processing to get the right contrast levels.

I keep both because I have 1.3 & 1.6 crop cameras but do have a fondness for the wide 10-22mm.

P.S. CIC has a good discussion on convergence & ultra wide angle lenses if you haven's seen it: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...gle-lenses.htm