Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A "Banana" illustration original on Fujichrome 100

Real Name
    Peter Phun

A "Banana" illustration original on Fujichrome 100

A "Banana" illustration original on Fujichrome 100

I'm in the midst of digitizing some pictures. I came across this. I hope this might interest some of you. It's not exactly Nature or Architecture, sorry.

If you want to get the nitty gritty read this post "Top Banana Illustration--Deconstructing an illustration"

Camera: Nikon F5, lens 85 mm
    Exposure 1/2 sec @ f11. Lit by 2 Dynalite strobes.
    Last edited by pixel pete; 1st December 2008 at 08:19 PM.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: A "Banana" illustration original on Fujichrome 100

Great stuff Pete

Gaffer tape and piano wire! I'd have used pipe cleaners back in the day! It makes me realise though how much we do rely on photoshop, software, et el.

Mark

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Mark,
    Thank you for commenting. The execution dates me I'm afraid. Those days of capturing everything on the same frame in camera meant more attention to detail during capture.

I can't imagine going back to film though. Details like exposure were so crucial. Not that it isn't these days.

Had I known enough photoshop, I would have scanned the slide and just cloned out the gaffer tape that is visible.

In case no one noticed it, see my post about it.

Hehe I like it. I think there is more satisfaction in knowing it's "real" as opposed to shopped together to give same effect. Photoshopping stuff to give a result is easily done, although the end result is the same I find it more rewarding to photograph or render (I do a lot of raytracing) an image in such a way so the end result is not faked and true to what you put in. I think of photoshopping something together is cheating in that respect.

Obviously if it's for work as opposed to for fun/hobby then it's different as whatever you can do as easily as possible in as short a time is the main aim. Still even then I like cleverly done "real" suff. I know renders are not real so strange to include that but I like it when the rendered image is not worked on and tweaked a lot and the end image is pretty much what the tracing software put out and it's unusual effect. I think it's especially impressive in instances where the result is very different from what you'd expect. For instance a photograph that is surprising to find it isn't faked like landscapes that look like paintings or in 3D renders to see some painted 2D looking work that you would swear was painted (like erics looking for love on www.pixologic.com/zbrush/gallery/ ) which is unusual since it's hard not to get photorealistic 3D.

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Hi Nocturne,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    if it's for work as opposed to for fun/hobby then it's different as whatever you can do as easily as possible in as short a time is the main aim.
    I absolutely agree that if it's work you're doing for someone else that you don't care too much about, if there's a quicker way, why not?

I somehow got really into this assignment, so I kept it honest.