Thread: Creating an image about light, shade and texture

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Creating an image about light, shade and texture

Sunlight and Shade at Tenaya Creek, Yosemite

This was one of those that as I composed the picture, I knew exactly how I wanted the finished image to look. It was about using the backlighting and the shade and all the different species of tree and bush to create an image that really concentrated on texture.

I have loved working on this in post-processing. I've probably spent a couple of hours on it - dodging and burning in Elements 15 and using lots of Control Points in Silver Efex Pro, checking it, making minor changes in what I had done.

I know that for some people the act of post processing is a task to be done as quickly as possible and got out of the way. Whereas, for me, with a picture like this, it is as enjoyable and challenging as capturing the original raw file. Your comments and critique are always welcome.
    Creating an image about light, shade and texture

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Creating an image about light, shade and texture

I also enjoy the post-processing every bit as much as every other aspect of photography. I like the way the light in the stream leads to the back lit tree and that you managed to preserve the detail in the most distant trees..

Real Name
    Brian

I also enjoy the pp.. I have tried to get this tunnel effect in macro but without success ye.

Real Name
    Maurice

For an image like that, it was well worth the time spent. Well done.

Real Name
    Jean

We can see the light coming down touching each leaf

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent

This initially looked a bit dark and lacking in detail but everything changes when viewed with the Lightbox setting where all those fine details become apparent.

Real Name
    John

Nice, crisp, conversion.

Real Name
    Dan

I REALLY like this one, Donald. Interesting how much so relative to your previous backlit shot. I think on that one I had (color based) preconceptions But on this one I simply enjoy looking at it as intended, texture and lighting. Your time was well spent. It is really excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...I know that for some people the act of post processing is a task to be done as quickly as possible and got out of the way. Whereas, for me, with a picture like this, it is as enjoyable and challenging as capturing the original raw file...
    I swing both ways on that topic. For simple/documentary type photos I simply run them through lightroom as quickly as possible and I'm done, likely never to return for additional PP. But for images that are special to me, either for content or an emotional connection, I thoroughly enjoy sitting at the computer, reliving the moment of capture, and exercising what little artistic skills that I possess.