Thread: The Mind Wonders

Real Name
    Matt

The Mind Wonders

Okay another conceptual series (love posting these on here) ha.

With access to social media platforms such as Instagram and Flickr, we have billions of images readily available to view at our fingertips and so we are consuming more imagery than ever before. Many of us are guilty of simply glancing momentarily at an image before flicking on to the next on a never-ending image assembly line, we rarely take the time to appreciate and explore the images in front of us. In this on-going series I have intentionally used movement in order to distort and abstract the subject, my objective was to conceal any rational narratives and reveal the subconscious, encouraging the viewer to contemplate the images emotionally rather than rationally.

The Mind Wonders

The Mind Wonders

The Mind Wonders

The Mind Wonders

The Mind Wonders

The Mind Wonders

The Mind Wonders

The Mind Wonders

Real Name
    John

Re: The Mind Wonders

Nice concept, what immediately comes to mind are: hand writing (1), symbols (2), alien invasion (3), wind (4), apparitions (5-7), electricity (8).

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to enjoy a series more than your first one posted here a week or so ago, but this series is even stronger for me than that one. Every image stands on its own and within the series so well.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I like your creative interpretations of reality.....#7, seems the best for me

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the series Matt, congrats

I like the series Matt. What a great concept.

Real Name
    Maurice

You succeeded, it did take a little longer to look at your images. Must say they are interesting and imaginative.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks guys, I realise this isn't the norm on this website and that this style is more or less completely random. But I think the process of choosing the image to put out there is a projection of my character or emotions at the time. (As cliche as it sounds)

Real Name
    Kim

Very cool Matt! 6, 7, 8 are my favs.

Real Name
    mark

I can't put my finger on what draws me to these images but I really like them Matt.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Matt,

as Walter Fisher expounded, most people don't communicate a series of events but instead tell a good story (while not adhering tae a factual account). Nos.2,3,,6,7,8 (IMO) follow that path but ah think the narrative gets lost with the others,and... nae offence, ye just ended up playing with yer camera.

Ah think 1+4 are just messy. If ye look at the series without 1,4,5...it's much more cohesive.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    ..........................But I think the process of choosing the image to put out there is a projection of my character or emotions at the time. (As cliche as it sounds)
    I have been repeatedly looking at this post and so some thoughts. The process you describe will be well understood by you, it being internal to your thinking but getting it across to other is more difficult. That's occasionally but rarely achieved by one image but might be by a series like this if for instance, a consistent theme or narrative becomes apparent (Robert's point). I don't think that this series quite does that but I'm bound to say that your attempt to take your photography that one step further than just presenting an image, is to be applauded so keep going. Having said all that, if I view the post as separate images, 6 and 8 stand out for me as working well and particularly suited to the treatment.