Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have I figured out a minimalist solid table top platform for stationary macro?

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Have I figured out a minimalist solid table top platform for stationary macro?

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    When you change focus by moving the camera rather than moving the lens, do you not change the framing of the shot. Does your stacking software compensate for this?

Have you looked at whether you an use a smartphone for viewing...
    Richard, the framing will change using both methods and the stacking software will cater for this with respect to alignment and scaling. Altering the camera focus (rotating the lens ring) also changes the focal length of the lens.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 16th January 2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added for clarity - (rotating the lens ring)

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Have I figured out a minimalist solid table top platform for stationary macro?

In any of the stacking that I have done, whether it be macro or landscape, PS CC does not have
    alignment problems when point of focus is changed.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    When you change focus by moving the camera rather than moving the lens, do you not change the framing of the shot. Does your stacking software compensate for this?

Have you looked at whether you an use a smartphone for viewing...
    I'd have to buy one. Be better to upgrade the camera

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I'd have to buy one. Be better to upgrade the camera
    Your camera is perfectly fine! Have I figured out a minimalist solid table top platform for stationary macro?
    Last edited by Cogito; 17th January 2017 at 11:29 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

I had a chat with Manfrotto and this is the head they recommend. It is their most precise geared head and supports twice the weight I would be putting on it. I'm guessing the Arca quick release will work with it.

Have I figured out a minimalist solid table top platform for stationary macro?

I have nixed the permanent mount to the table and have taken a liking to this table top tripod:

Have I figured out a minimalist solid table top platform for stationary macro?

Later, I can get the focus rail, L clamp, and lots of other neat stuff.

Has anyone any positives or negatives about this gear?

Brian

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I'm guessing the Arca quick release will work with it.
    Check that out very carefully, as I don't think Manfrotto products are compatible with the Arca-Swiss conventions.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Check that out very carefully, as I don't think Manfrotto products are compatible with the Arca-Swiss conventions.
    This seems to be a model that is a bit newer as I had not seen it before. I looked up the unit on the Manfrotto website and it has the proprietary Manfrotto quick release plate. So definitely not Arca-Swiss compatible.

This is the "low end" Arca-Swiss geared head (and it uses the Arca-Swiss quick release)...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ared_head.html

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    This seems to be a model that is a bit newer as I had not seen it before. I looked up the unit on the Manfrotto website and it has the proprietary Manfrotto quick release plate. So definitely not Arca-Swiss compatible.

This is the "low end" Arca-Swiss geared head (and it uses the Arca-Swiss quick release)...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ared_head.html
    Indeed it is. There aren't a lot of geared heads I can afford.

Real Name
    Brian

Finances may dictate standardization to M.

Real Name
    Grahame

Brian, having read the reviews on the site you linked to the XPRO geared head personally I would be wary. References are made to the play in the gearing and no way to lock it, plastic body (plastic is not always bad), and general play.

Fans seem to be some architectural photographers for which it would be an excellent improvement to getting verticals and horizontals right than using a ball head.

Have you considered the slightly more expensive 410 junior?

Whilst I suspect there would be no concerns taking single shots with it I'm basing my comments on your requirements for rigidity and limitation of movement during stacking focus adjustments.

As for the plates I use both Manfrotto sizes and have never had a problem with movement or ease of use.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Brian, having read the reviews on the site you linked to the XPRO geared head personally I would be wary. References are made to the play in the gearing and no way to lock it, plastic body (plastic is not always bad), and general play.

Fans seem to be some architectural photographers for which it would be an excellent improvement to getting verticals and horizontals right than using a ball head.

Have you considered the slightly more expensive 410 junior?

Whilst I suspect there would be no concerns taking single shots with it I'm basing my comments on your requirements for rigidity and limitation of movement during stacking focus adjustments.

As for the plates I use both Manfrotto sizes and have never had a problem with movement or ease of use.
    The 410 Jr. was my first choice but when the company recommended the other... B & H lists the 410 as #1 and the other comes way down the list.

The 410 on the tripod could be good?

Brian - I've been following/reading this thread with interest as I've an interest in macro shooting too. I like the first Oben unit you linked to since it says you can separate rails for individual use and it's made of aluminum not 'plastic'.
    I think when others here talk about the Arca-Swiss attachment method you should keep in mind they usually have more than one camera and are thinking ease of switching between them. You have one main camera that you use so don't really have that 'problem'.
    I think you should consider the Oben unit and the tripod you have in your last post. At least as an alternative to spending a lot of money on the other stuff. The only reservation I have about the Oben unit is the resolution of the threads on the rail adjustments ie the pitch of the threads. They don't look like micrometer threads so 'fine' adjustment might be problematical, but I'm sure you could work around that somehow. I fully understand how you're using the focus peaking to change the focus point too. I've used that method myself.
    Good luck and I'll be watching to see what you end up with.

Just did a little digging around. Maybe getting two of these and stacking them would work better than the Oben unit...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l/prm/alsVwDtl

and for not much more money either.
    Last edited by AlwaysOnAuto; 18th January 2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: fine not find

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    I think when others here talk about the Arca-Swiss attachment method you should keep in mind they usually have more than one camera and are thinking ease of switching between them. You have one main camera that you use so don't really have that 'problem'.
    Actually no, Alan. The issue with Manfrotto and their proprietary quick release bracket is that you are essentially stick in using only the accessories that they make. With Arca-Swiss you can build your setup with attachments from multiple manufacturers. I have a RRS head on my main tripod and Benro ones on my others, I have a Kirk L-plate and focus rail, my indexing head is from SunwayFoto. Multiple cameras has nothing to do with it, but availability of pieces from all these manufactures lets me mix and match, based on my needs (costs being one major one). If you have a proprietary Gitzo, Manfrotto, Novoflex, etc. you are stuck with their systems.

I THINK I may have been wrong in my thinking then Manfred.
    That is a consideration (flexibility of mounting different accessories), but, I don't think that is what really concerns Brian here. He's trying to build a macro adjusting system on a very limited budget.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    I THINK I may have been wrong in my thinking then Manfred.
    That is a consideration (flexibility of mounting different accessories), but, I don't think that is what really concerns Brian here. He's trying to build a macro adjusting system on a very limited budget.
    I definitely understand that. The issue I see is that he is trying to marry up a Manfotto geared head that uses a proprietary quick release system with an Oben setup that uses an Arca-Swiss mount. The two will not work together.

If he wants to go Manfrotto, he will need a Manfrotto rail that does what the Oben he is looking at does, and I don't think there is an equivalent. Conversely, the Arca-Swiss geared head will work with the Oben, but is astronomically expensive, so not a viable solution either.

I think the only thing the Oben unit needs is a good ball head sitting under it so it's easy to do the course alignment of the shot. That ball head doesn't need a quick release to interface with the Oben unit, just a regular tripod mount 1/4-20.
    I can't see the need for a quick release at that interface helping his situation. The less 'joints' in his support system the sturdier it will be in use.
    Am I over simplifying this or missing something?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Regarding the discussion about Arca-Swiss compatibility: One reason it's helpful to use products compatible with Arca-Swiss conventions is that we never know in advance when we might have expanding needs. It's a lot easier to add to our existing gear without having to replace anything if we go with the Arca-Swiss compatibility from the beginning.

As an example, I have a Manfrotto ball head that has the Manfroto quick release clamp that I bought decades ago. That clamp cannot be removed; it's designed not to be removed. When positioning the camera in a vertical orientation, it hangs off to the side of the center of the tripod. That has worked fine for me. However, I recently bought a 90mm macro lens and I fear that I may eventually need an L-bracket, which would increase stability by allowing the camera to be positioned vertically over the center of the tripod. Manfrotto doesn't make an L-bracket and I haven't been able to find an L-bracket that will work with Manfrotto's quick-release plate. So, if indeed I need an L-bracket, I will have to also replace my otherwise perfectly good ball head and my otherwise perfectly good quick-release plate that is built into the ball head.

Real Name
    Grahame

The issue I see is that he is trying to marry up a Manfotto geared head that uses a proprietary quick release system with an Oben setup that uses an Arca-Swiss mount.
    The two will not work together.
    In the context of what Brian is looking at I can not see why if he understands that if he wants to go from the head(Manfrotto)/focus rail(Oben)/camera situation to the head/camera situation he has to swop the plates that will take a minute to do.

Or am I missing something?

Real Name
    Grahame

Manfrotto doesn't make an L-bracket and I haven't been able to find an L-bracket that will work with Manfrotto's quick-release plate. So, if indeed I need an L-bracket, I will have to also replace my otherwise perfectly good ball head and my otherwise perfectly good quick-release plate that is built into the ball head.
    I looked at getting an L bracket a while ago Mike and Manfrotto have ones with both the 200PL and 410 plates attached.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I just got off the B&H website, where in the extended images of the Oben MFR4-5 there is one shot of the base of the unit. Instead of what I expected to see (a keyed Arca-Swiss mounting block), Oben appears to have a standard mounting plate attachment on the bottom.

If this is correct, Brian would have to get a Manfrotto plate and mount it onto the Oben unit, which would then attach to the Manfrotto geared head of his choice. The camera would take an Arca-Swiss plate, that the Oben MFR4-5 requires. This would give Brian a workable solution.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sing_rail.html

One has to hit the "show more" button on the images and go to the 9th image. It is the only one that shows that part of the device in any detail

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast