Thread: The Guardian

The Guardian

On a recent visit to my local medical centre, which is run by a local Maori Trust, I saw an awesome photo of the front of a Maori Meeting house at dusk, with the city lights in the distance.

It was a very powerful image. Keen to replicate it, I went to the Marae where it was taken at dusk to have a go myself. As I suspected the entrance was private but I was able to get a shot of one of the statues that guard the gates to the entrance without encroaching. I got out of the car to look at the entrance and realized the moon was rising fast behind the gate posts, so I had to act quickly. It was actually hand held using a Canon 60D, and the 15-85mm IS USM EF-S lens.

The Guardian

The Guardian

I got good advice from a passing Maori who has encouraged me to visit the Marae admin centre and likely they will give permission for the shot I originally intended if I ask - it's all about respect.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 12th January 2017 at 05:40 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: The Guardian

Well captured Trev the second one seem the stronger of the pair. Great intricate artwork too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Peter:

I agree: #2 is also my favourite, but I left the first one in to be true to the work itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    Well captured Trev the second one seem the stronger of the pair. Great intricate artwork too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Well done. I think if you crop the first one so the grey of the concrete plinth no longer shows it works almost as well as the second image.

I noticed the moon last night and dashed outside to take a snapshot. Must have been taken about the same time (a bit later?) as you were taking your more interesting shots. I wonder how many other cameras were pointed at the sky about the same time.
    The Guardian
    Last edited by pnodrog; 12th January 2017 at 07:25 PM.

First of all, nice shot Paul! Yes, it was a gorgeous sky for photographing the moon.

Ha! That first image was not the one I intended! This is the one I meant:
    The Guardian

I had not actually realized that the moon was full last night and for my purposes I had only the one camera and lens, By the time I got home to get my telephoto the moment had passed and I got caught up in domestic jobs!

Maybe tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Well done. I think if you crop the first one so the grey of the concrete plinth no longer shows it works almost as well as the second image.

I noticed the moon last night and dashed outside to take a snapshot. Must have been taken about the same time (a bit later?) as you were taking your more interesting shots. I wonder how many other cameras were pointed at the sky about the same time.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 12th January 2017 at 07:50 PM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Much better. The lightish grey on the edge of the frame was a bit of a distraction.

Which Marae is it at?

It is at the Orakei Marae

Very nice pair of images. Does the face have glass eyes?

Hi Dave:
    Thanks for your comment and question. The shiny bits are made of the shell of the Paua, known in the United States and Australia as abalone, and in the United Kingdom as ormer shells. It's a shellfish that has a shell that can be burnished and displays a gorgeous array of colours.

The Guardian

Real Name
    Maurice

Trev, #4 great images, you did very well hand holding. #2 for me. Your shot of the shell is fascinating, the colours are amazing.

I love the colours of the Paua shell... My partner actually gave me a tie printed with them. It looks amazing with a white or black shirt. Only problem is that I almost never wear a tie any more!

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow View Post
    Trev, #4 great images, you did very well hand holding. #2 for me. Your shot of the shell is fascinating, the colours are amazing.

Real Name
    John

Wow, nice to have that type of art in that particular location. I like the added moon and I would've tried to incorporate it into the actual statue; either in the mouth or lower region.

Hi John:

There are actually two guardians flanking the entrance and I would love to do something with both of them, but the light was going fast. That was also the reason I didn't try to place the moon in side one of the apertures of the statue, that and my knee is completely munted and I can't bend that severely limits my ability to move right now. Still, I have not given up: maybe another time when I can get there earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Wow, nice to have that type of art in that particular location. I like the added moon and I would've tried to incorporate it into the actual statue; either in the mouth or lower region.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Hi John:

There are actually two guardians flanking the entrance and I would love to do something with both of them, but the light was going fast. That was also the reason I didn't try to place the moon in side one of the apertures of the statue, that and my knee is completely munted and I can't bend that severely limits my ability to move right now. Still, I have not given up: maybe another time when I can get there earlier.
    Hi Trev,

If handholding and you have a swivel screen you could possibly get a shot from waist level.

Thanks Trev, that is interesting. It works well on the statue. I actually own one of these (I didn't find it but bought it in a shell shop). BTW the shop recommended a light rubbing with a soft cloth moistened with baby oil. Seems to do a good job of keeping my shells looking good

Real Name
    Binnur

It looks very nice Trev , I also like the closer shot but IMO this one is better compositionally

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    First of all, nice shot Paul! Yes, it was a gorgeous sky for photographing the moon.

Ha! That first image was not the one I intended! This is the one I meant:
    The Guardian

I had not actually realized that the moon was full last night and for my purposes I had only the one camera and lens, By the time I got home to get my telephoto the moment had passed and I got caught up in domestic jobs!

Maybe tonight...

Real Name
    John

That's a nicely timed capture by any standards (either of them - intended or not). My initial thought was that I wanted to see all of the base in the frame but deleting it altogether works as well. Presumably it's a Maori interpretation of the caduceus (symbol of the medical profession)?
    Last edited by John 2; 15th January 2017 at 12:31 PM.

I think I can see where you are coming from... I am not sure. It is common to place guardian statues at the entrance to a Maori Pa (a fortified village). Now, this they are no longer fortified but the symbolic statues remain. It seems to look to me like a Maori warrior with a Taiaha (traditional fighting staff).

I am hoping to see the people there about taking my photos of their meeting house, so I shall ask specifically about the guardian statues and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    That's a nicely timed capture by any standards (either of them - intended or not). My initial thought was that I wanted to see all of the base in the frame but deleting it altogether works as well. Presumably it's a Maori interpretation of the caduceus (symbol of the medical profession)?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent shots

Update:

I had a lovely conversation with some of the administrators of the Marae. Naturally they were concerned about taking photos and protective of their cultural artifacts, but once I assured them that I was not gong to use my pix for commercial work they were happy to engage. Alas the carvings on the side of the meeting house are partially down for repairs and will not be restored before I return to Canada in mid-March. I shall be back in August, so I will revisit the issue and have a go then. So stay tuned, in a few months' time I may have more news!
    Last edited by Tronhard; 16th January 2017 at 04:06 AM.