Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Good Video

Real Name
    Paul David

Good Video

I found this while having my morning coffee and catching up on the news.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/070407...avel-full-time

I'd like to do this for a year only I'd take a few fly rods, too.

It's time for me to wake up.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Good Video

Now that's a lifestyle however I don't think I could live like that

Real Name
    John

Does seem like a dream lifestyle, however for me the first month would be the frenzied and hectic as I would be in vacation mode and overspend.

Back in the 1980s I did one stint of travel photography for about 7 months. I love traveling and I love photography, but it got to be hard work, always moving on... In the end I went, with a load of books, to an island where there were beaches, palm trees and cheap, but comfortable accommodation, and I read for a week, during which time I didn't touch my cameras. When I returned to the road I felt refreshed, keen to see more and much more committed to my photography.

Looking at the video they created it seems to me that this couple has got several things in their favour:

1. They are a couple who are committed photographers, and that helps a lot to maintain inspiration and to double up on the chances of getting nice shots. The companionship of a spouse makes a big difference too.
    2. Being a couple makes it much easier to handle the admin of travel: minding gear, splitting jobs and costs.
    3. They have created a business using the WWW as their publishing medium, so they can maintain an income on a real-time basis. Something that was much harder to do before the Internet era. It is critical to have have good cash flow for expenses and to allow you to take time when you need. They don't seem to be roughing it, which is more expensive, but if they can sustain it, makes the travel a lot easier to deal with.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 10th January 2017 at 11:51 PM.

Real Name
    Paul David

It looks like fun but I don't know how long i could live out of a suitcase. Back in the early 90's i was involved in a project with two hospitals in Saint Petersburg Russia. The project involved a lot of travel. It seemed glamorous at first but after two weeks away from my family it got old. It is probably different for these two as they are probably childless and can pick up and go.

And i would go nuts without my dog.
    Last edited by LePetomane; 11th January 2017 at 02:21 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've been following Elia for a few years now and he is definitely one of my favourite modern landscape photographers and have had a chance to chat on line with him a couple of times.

I am very impressed with his stamina and that of his wife, who travels with him. I hope he can keep it up the pace and his creativity as it is a tough life. Living out of a suitcase and keeping it up for years on end is not easy. I spent many years on the road more than I was at home sometimes for months at a time. This type of travel sounds exciting and romantic to those who don't do it. It is not, it's a grind and one gives up a great dealing doing it.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    .....................This type of travel sounds exciting and romantic to those who don't do it. It is not, it's a grind and one gives up a great dealing doing it.
    A few years ago, I used to be interested in wooden boats (still am) and read of a two people (not then a couple) that pooled their resources to converted a Shetland double ended inshore fishing smack and sailed from the Shetlands, across the Atlantic, then down the US coast etc., through the Panama Canal and finally across the Pacific to Aus. They lived in close confinement on the boat together for nearly two years but finally settled down to family life in Australia - but both with different partners. I remember thinking that maybe sometimes it's just a question of getting it out of your system once you have made that initial determined decision to "give it all up". I guess that can apply to a greater or lessor degree to many endeavours in life whether it's sailing the Atlantic, renovating a ruin, rebuilding a classic car etc. or pursuing your absolute passion for travel and photography.
    Last edited by John 2; 11th January 2017 at 10:29 AM.