Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience begets Wisdom

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Experience begets Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    There are also many good compacts about, easy to carry but capable of excellent results. For a travel holiday a much better option.
    Not to mention bargains like my recent purchase - a Panasonic GH1, used but once, for just over $250 US. Needs a lens but they aren't terribly expensive these days, like the 14-140mm which was in fact the kit lens for that model.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1

Real Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    I must admit I am extremely unlikely to lend my gear to anyone else. While that may sound churlish, it came from experience when the times I did so it came back damaged or really dirty. I have always believed that if you look after your gear it will look after you, so I am pretty anal about keeping it maintained, protected and clean. By not lending at all I don't have to go into why I will lend to some people and not others.

On a couple of occasions I have given stuff away rather than put either the borrower or the lender under the pressure of worrying about how it will be returned.
    That's why you NEVER lend your chainsaw or your wife, they both come back in a similar state (alternative description)

I would never lend a chainsaw to my spouse unless she was in a favourable mood towards me!

Perhaps flowers and chocolates along with the protective gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    That's why you NEVER lend your chainsaw or your wife, they both come back in a similar state (alternative description)

Real Name
    Richard

I certainly don't lend out my gear. I have done so several times and had the gear returned either dirty, damaged or incomplete.

Real Name
    Greg

Tell him to buy (or give him as a wedding present) an Olympus TG-4 Tough. It's simple to use, indestructible, zooms from 25-100mm equiv), shoots raw (if you later want to show him how to pp photos) and, most importantly, shoots underwater to 10m. There's a lot of water around the edge of Australia and no doubt he and his bride will spend a lot of time in it.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Greg, I'm glad you chimed in...I wanted to tell him not to go to Australia because of all the
    dangerous flora and fauna (land and sea) that resides there. Am I completely FOS or not?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Am I completely FOS or not?
    You'd better warn the 24 million people that live in Australia about how dangerous their country is.

According to the travel medicine doctor I visit regularly before heading off to a developing county, the single largest cause of injury or death to travelers in a foreign country is getting into a traffic accident, either as a pedestrian crossing the street or while traveling in a car.

I'd say the FOS is very high on your advice.

By the way, I know of people from Europe who are afraid of traveling to the USA because of the risk of gun crime or being attacked by wild animals (wolves, bears, alligators). I suggest the FOS argument to them as well.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    You'd better warn the 24 million people that live in Australia about how dangerous their country is.

According to the travel medicine doctor I visit regularly before heading off to a developing county, the single largest cause of injury or death to travelers in a foreign country is getting into a traffic accident, either as a pedestrian crossing the street or while traveling in a car.

I'd say the FOS is very high on your advice.

By the way, I know of people from Europe who are afraid of traveling to the USA because of the risk of gun crime or being attacked by wild animals (wolves, bears, alligators). I suggest the FOS argument to them as well.
    I'm definitely one of those who'd be scared of the guns and bears in America (never understood why your constitution gives you the right to arm bears, or something like that). I've lived in some of the wildest parts of Aus and survived. Having said that though I've literally just sat down at my desk having failed to remove a small snake from the house. I normally just catch them and release them 200 metres or so away from the house. This one's just a harmless Children's python that is now comfortably ensconced in a safe (for it) hidey-hole under the seat of an office chair. I can't get it out. Teenage daughter who spotted it is unimpressed at having to now sleep 5 metres from it.

But Manfred's right. Many orders of magnitude more people die from traffic accidents, heart attacks, cancer and suicide than from wild animals. And do you know what is by far the world's most dangerous animal? The mosquito.

Real Name
    Ken

Don't think that a mosquito is an animal!

Real Name
    Mike

Vegetable or mineral? pick one.

Yes, actually a mosquito is most definitely an animal, it's an insect belonging to the order Diptera, the True Flies

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I love the fact that people use cell phones to take photographs. It allows far more funds to be spent on research into sensor technology than DSLR sales could ever justify.

Real Name
    Greg

In taxonomic classification at the Kingdom level there are 3 types of cellular life: plants, animals and fungi. The classification of mosquitoes to Family level is as follows:

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Arthropoda
    Class: Insecta
    Order: Diptera
    Suborder: Nematocera
    Infraorder: Culicomorpha
    Superfamily: Culicoidea
    Family: Culicidae

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It sure is an animal (insects are animals) and as Greg has pointed out, being the vector for malaria, which kills well over 400 000 people per year. They also spread dengue, yellow fever, Chikunguny, West Nile and Zika. Nasty creatures, and even if they don't spread disease, the bites can be rather itchy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12