Thread: 1 megapixel resurrection!

Real Name
    Mike

1 megapixel resurrection!

So did you get a new 20+ megapixel DLSR for Christmas? It’s easy to forget we were shooting single megapixels not too long ago.

Here’s one of my 1-megapixel KODAK DC265 images from 1999 (taken at the Claremont Colleges in Claremont CA). First the original (reduced overall size for the forum), then with post-processing (Topaz Impression and some PS tweaks) to bring it back to life.

And some more fun with a 4mp Minolta DiMAGE S404 image of a garden statue from 2002, again with similar post processing.

archwaybefore.jpg

archwayafter.jpg

4mpstatue.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ted

Re: 1 megapixel resurrection!

Quote Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
    So did you get a new 20+ megapixel DLSR for Christmas? It’s easy to forget we were shooting single megapixels not too long ago.
    I'm still shooting low-resolution cameras because I don't print, only viewing on a 1920x1200px monitor.

My usual DSLR is the Sigma SD10 2268x1512px (3.4MP) allowing a little crop room.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Ted, I don't print either, mainly doing web and PDF work. Most of my stock photo collection (my own digital photos going back to 1999) are 1, 4 and 16 mp from what I call "popper" cameras (the Kodak and Minolta mentioned above and a Nikon L810), plus some more recent 12mp ones from a Canon Rebel DSLR which I need to get out and use more...

Real Name
    John

It just goes to show that if it wasn't for the fact that you where you can't fill the frame and have to zoom in in PP, you wouldn't need a higher pixel count for WEB posting. Interesting post and I like your rendition of the doorway.

Real Name
    Dem

The 3 images of garden statues give a whole new meaning to POST processing.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks John! And here is some more "post" processing just for dem ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I too create for on-screen display and most of my images are configured to 1902x1080 for showing on that medium. That said, I still take images at the maximum resolution and store those on back-up drives for the occasions when someone wants a print from something I have created.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I'm still shooting low-resolution cameras because I don't print, only viewing on a 1920x1200px monitor.

My usual DSLR is the Sigma SD10 2268x1512px (3.4MP) allowing a little crop room.