Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 2017 Project 52 - Guidelines, FAQ and Index

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

2017 Project 52 - Guidelines, FAQ and Index

What is Project 52?
    The idea is that each member sets themselves a target to publish a picture a week, for 52 weeks, that stretches their photographic skills, or develops them throughout the year of 2017.

It is intended to be a personal challenge, not a competition. You can tackle whichever parts of your photographic activities you wish; be that taking images, exploring new (to you) genres, acquiring or perfecting skills in capture or post processing - nothing is off limits (within the usual forum guidelines of good taste, etc.).

Equally, please don't feel you have to rigorously post each and every week, some members have jobs or travel arrangements that preclude this, so just save up what you can and publish when you are able. Above all, enjoy yourself.

The format we used in 2016 seemed to work quite well, so what's written below is largely the same as the intro for 2016, provided here for members starting this year.

How can I support this idea? (even if I don't take part myself)
    Nothing discourages like a lack of interest. So, rather than try to keep across everyone's P52 threads (which can be overwhelming), I suggest it is better for one or two viewing people to 'adopt' at least one P52 contributing person, follow them - and ideally make a point to regularly comment on each submission.

How can I start as a contributor?
    Easy;
    1) Click this link; in the new tab/window that opens, click the "+ Post New Thread" button.
    2) Title the thread "2017 Project 52, <first> quarter by <first/full name> (<CiC username>)"
    3) Ideally, write a few words on how you will be using Project 52 to improve your skills in 2017
    4) Add your first picture (or do it later in week)
    5) Ideally, add a link back to this thread from your initial post, so members new to this concept (anyone in last 4 years) can more easily discover what it is all about

What happens 'next' week?
    You reopen your thread and post into it again
    If you click "Go Advanced", you can edit the new post's title to put in the week number if you wish, there's a list below to help with this.
    After 13 weeks (one quarter), it is suggested you start a new thread (in 2012, we found threads got slow to load if longer than this, especially if you add more than one image per week)

Any tips on getting the best from this?
    It would be helpful to say a few words in each week's photo post of what you were trying to achieve that week, and note any successes or known failures and provide the basic shooting information
    You can bookmark/favorite your thread in your browser for easy relocation (e.g. to add next week's photo post)
    You can put a "My Project 52 thread" link to it in your Signature*, so it appears at the bottom of every post you make in the forum (for others to see your progress)
    You will be able to use the new Lytebox to step through all images in the thread as it builds week by week

Any rules to follow?
    Let's call them guidelines, not rules;
    Ideally the photo you publish each week should be taken in the last 7 days or so
    However, if your personal aim is to develop your PP skills, this is not mandatory, by all means use old photos
    Comments and constructive replies in a members thread are acceptable (we're all here to learn)
    However, since these threads will build over time to become a record of each member's photographic progression, it would be preferable not to re-process and re-post another member's photo in their thread (or add any of your own images), as this will confuse things
    Members can request variation from these guidelines in the first post of their thread, but be advised some may not see/read them (or these guidelines for that matter), so please be tolerant if someone doesn't adhere to them, you can always PM me for help if it is a problem.

How do I know who is taking part?
    I (Dave Humphries) will update the second post in this thread with links to everyone's threads, do send me a PM (after a week) if I miss yours

Is there a weekly Theme?
    No, but if you feel you need one, feel free to set yourself one.
    Some ideas might be something based on the week number, or a letter of the alphabet, or perhaps an international event that week.
    You could always add a list of personal themes in your thread starter post if that helps you stick to the plan.

Where did this idea come from?
    The original suggestion was made here in 2012 and reactivated here in 2014 and here in late 2015 and here in 2016, please post any comments and queries there too, as this thread is closed. The previous discussion threads, if read fully, explain how we got to these guidelines, your query may be answered there.

Notes:
    * For new members; signatures are enabled after you have reached a post count of 10 at CiC

Thank you and enjoy yourselves, Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: 2017 Project 52 - Guidelines, FAQ and Index

Index of members running 2017 Project 52 threads:

Alan (AlwaysOnAuto): 1st Quarter

Arno (AG64): 1st Quarter

Dave (Dave Humphries): Toddler pics 1, Toddler pics 2

Ganesh (Ganesh Mahadevan): 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, 3rd Quarter

Gary (Craigie): 1st Quarter

Geoff (Geoff F): 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, 3rd Quarter, 4th Quarter

Janis (purplehaze): 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter

Joe (joebranko): 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, 3rd Quarter, 4th Quarter

Judith (Urbanflyer): 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, 3rd Quarter, 4th Quarter

Mal (Goldcoastgolfer): 1st Quarter

Mark (mknittle): 1st Quarter

Sandy (Skitterbug): 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, 3rd Quarter, 4th Quarter

I (Dave Humphries) will regularly update this post with links to everyone's threads, do send me a PM (after a week) if I have missed yours. Especially when you start a new 'Quarter' thread.

Anyone submitting multiple photos per posting may opt for monthly or irregular threads if it suits them.

The 2016 Index may be found here.

Keep at it, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th October 2017 at 07:34 PM.