Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Software Upgrade - Keep Old Versions?

Real Name
    Didace

Software Upgrade - Keep Old Versions?

I have finally updated to Adobe Creative Cloud Lightroom. I still have Lightroom v4.4 and v5.7 on my computer. Is there any reason not to uninstall these old versions? Drive space isn't an issue but generally don't like to keep programs I don't use.

Real Name
    John

Re: Software Upgrade - Keep Old Versions?

I usually keep them if space is available especially editing software because sometimes a specific tool I'll like will be eliminated in the upgrade. On the other hand I recently got rid of all older operating system software, those programs do take up a lot of space and also have background apps running in the background that use system memory.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

1. Keeping things you will never use is a waste of storage.

2. Paying for an upgrade and continuing to use old software is a waste of money.

Delete the old stuff if you have no need for it. There is enough clutter around in our lives without adding more.

Real Name
    Peter

I'd say keep 5.7 in case CC starts acting "cranky" - it oes sometimes happen. Occasionally try opening projexts made with CC in 5.7 just to make sure it's all backward compatible.

Real Name
    Sandy

Why not make a backup of your computer before you delete your software? That way if for any reason, you want to return to them, you could? Just a thought?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

If you have the installation disks for 5.7 there seems little point in leaving it installed. Otherwise it will depend mainly on your circumstances and possible future needs.

Real Name
    Mike

I work in IT and love software updates! Old versions are like old newspapers. But lately one might argue QC has gone downhill across the industry, and "newer" does not always mean "better" (though for the most part it does).

Remember the Apple OS X update a few versions back that prevented the computer from fully booting up? It hung on some network-related problem. That was not cool in computer labs! That's why I still hate watching the progress bar at boot; that's where it stuck forever. Apple released an update and all was better...

The lesson there is not to be too quick to change anything, at least not on someone else's computers.

Then (as noted above), in some app upgrades our favorite features disappear for whatever reason. That's not cool either. Or the modern version of an app just can't get back to the quality and ease-of-use of the classic version from a decade ago.

Here is my advice:

If you are happy with the new Adobe versions, ditch the old ones.

If you have some old external drives with enough room, pop the old versions on there for awhile just to be safe.

Real Name
    Dave

With Lightroom, the previous "process engine" is still optionally available in the latest version (and afaik is the default if you look to redevelop an image that was last adjusted using it.) In a way, you have the best of both worlds.

Dave