Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Apple's Photos now has RAW converter?

Real Name
    Ken

Apple's Photos now has RAW converter?

I was told a couple of days ago that Apple's PHOTO now has a RAW converter. Is this correct?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Apple's Photos now has RAW converter?

Quote Originally Posted by miatab View Post
    I was told a couple of days ago that Apple's PHOTO now has a RAW converter. Is this correct?
    Clear as mud...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204977

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I'm not aware of that Ken and I have my doubts. As far as I know, Photos only works on the embedded jpeg in a raw file. But I may be wrong!

One recent development is the ability to shoot raw with an iPhone 6 or 7 running on ios10. But this can only be done with certain third party apps such as "Manual".

Dave

Real Name
    Robin

Macs have had native support for raw files for as long as I can recall and the OS is regularly updated to support the latest cameras. While Photos will typically show and use the embedded JPEG you can force it to show and work on the raw file in the Editing panel. That has been around for a good while too, probably from Photos launching last year.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Macs have had native support for raw files for as long as I can recall and the OS is regularly updated to support the latest cameras. While Photos will typically show and use the embedded JPEG you can force it to show and work on the raw file in the Editing panel. That has been around for a good while too, probably from Photos launching last year.
    Yes my comments were based on my experience with the iOS Photos app rather than the Mac version (I don't own a Mac). We should ask Ken for clarification of what he was referring to. Robin what are your thoughts on the iOS version?

Dave

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Yes my comments were based on my experience with the iOS Photos app rather than the Mac version (I don't own a Mac). We should ask Ken for clarification of what he was referring to. Robin what are your thoughts on the iOS version?

Dave
    I think the most I've ever done with Photos on iOS is crop a shot before I bung it on FaceBook - essentially I just treat it as a camera roll for viewing images that are on the Phone. If I do want to tweak anything I use Lightroom Mobile as it has far greater control - but even then I don't do that very often on the phone preferring to wait until I'm home and run images through the iMac.

Real Name
    Ken

I was thinking of my MacBook Air and its Photos application when I asked my question. I am very ignorant of all this post-processing stuff, but for me, my question , maybe poorly worded: Is it true that Apple's Photos app has a RAW converter?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I was thinking of my MacBook Air and its Photos application when I asked my question. I am very ignorant of all this post-processing stuff, but for me, my question , maybe poorly worded: Is it true that Apple's Photos app has a RAW converter?
    Ken I incorrectly assumed you were referring to the iOS app Photos found on iPads and iPhones. The answer to your question is given by Robin in post 4.

Dave

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Yes, on the Mac, you could always process Raw in Photos, but then...why would you?

Photos was my reason for subscribing to the Adobe CC after resisting making that change for a long time.

Real Name
    Ken

Thank you all, and particularly Robin, for your help.