Thread: AW in camera bags

Real Name
    David Allen

AW in camera bags

Hi folks
    I'm currently looking for a new camera bag/case & in most reviews & listings they are specified as 100AW, 200AW etc. Now I'm guessing that AW refers to volume but so far I'm unable to find a definition.
    Can anyone help?
    BTW, I have a Canon Powershot SX60 HS.

Real Name
    Jean

Re: AW in camera bags

AW means all weather. These bags have an additional envelope to cover and protect the bag from rain/snow.

Real Name
    David Allen

Thnks.
    So 140 AW refers to an all weather bag of the size 140.
    Is there some kind of table listing 140 or 200 or whatever to WxHxD

Real Name
    Robin

Sounds like you are looking at Lowepro bags - their site has all the internal and external dimensions as well as all the terminology used including a description of the materials used.

Real Name
    David Allen

Well, not just Lowpro.
    Some sites just list the number, others list the number & dimensions, still others list just dimensions.
    I was just trying to simplify the sizes. I'm guessing the number refers to volume which is not very helpful.
    Maybe it's not volume & just a number. Whichever, I was just wondering what it refers to.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by DavidAllen View Post
    Whichever, I was just wondering what it refers to.
    I use Lowepro bags and I haven't a clue what these numbers refer to. But the bags work just fine without me knowing.

Real Name
    David Allen

Well, I did a few calculations and it doesn't refer to volume. So it seems it's just an arbitrary number that refers to nothing in particular.

Real Name
    Richard

The number assigned to a Lowepro bag doesn't refer to the specific dimensions of the bag. However, within any group of bags
    (such as the Pro Tactic http://www.lowepro.com/bagfinder)
    The higher numbers indicate the larger sizes. As an example, the Pro Tactic 450AW is larger than the Pro Tactic 350AW or 250AW.

One thing about size of bags... When you are coming very close to the maximum size to be carried aboard, ensure that the shoulder straps and belt strap of a back pack (most often not removable and sometimes very bulky) don't make the bag too large to fit into the "size box" for carry on bags...

When you are boarding the aircraft, that is not the time to find out that your bag is too large to be carried on

I have found that purchasing new bags on eBay is often the least expensive way to buy a bag. Buying used is even less expensive. However, when purchasing a used bag on eBay, I make sure that the bag has not been stored in a smoking environment. Cigarette/cigar smoke odor is virtually impossible to get rid of...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 28th December 2016 at 05:47 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by DavidAllen View Post
    Well, not just Lowpro.
    Some sites just list the number, others list the number & dimensions, still others list just dimensions.
    I was just trying to simplify the sizes. I'm guessing the number refers to volume which is not very helpful.
    Maybe it's not volume & just a number. Whichever, I was just wondering what it refers to.
    With any of the big brands you will find the manufacturers sites have excellent information on all aspects of their range including dimensions, suggested kit and materials used. Use these not the shops selling them and you will be fine.

Real Name
    Yes

As well as adding extra protection from heavy rain the all weather cover also provides extra security from theft, covering the zips from the sneek thief. They are also lighter in colour than the standard black bag and so improve pedestrian visability in poor light.

Real Name
    Dave

Have a look at the bags available from 7Dayshop. I bought one from them which is similar to this -

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7d...dayslrbackpack

and it has room for my camera, kit lens, a couple of other lenses, blower and filters. Having a bit more room than you need is always useful, I think.

Redsnapper also do a range of bags - http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-a...Backpacks.html
    I don't know these bags but if their tripods are an indication of the quality of their products, they should be good.

While I feel the dedicated photographic bags are very good they often seem very expensive.

Dave

Real Name
    KaZ

once i discovered the AW top loader range i never use anything else, the AW75 has enough room to hold my D7200 with battery grip and 70-300 lens attached, and they make access to your camera so quick.
    ive also been known to carry a carbon fiber tripod and extra lenses as well but these have to be attached to the straps on the outside of the bag which obviously means you cant use the AW cover

Real Name
    Kathy

As I do whenever a camera bag shopping question comes up, I post a link to cambags.com, where folks can write reviews and post pictures of their bag with gear loaded, so you can get a better idea of whether your stuff will fit in a given bag. I find it's handier than going to every. single. manufacturer's website to find the specs. But it does have the disadvantages of relying upon the energy of strangers to write reviews, as well as being less up to date than the manufacturer sites, if you're interested in the latest models.