Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon 24mm f3.5 PC-E or Nikon 24mm f1.4 lens

On the edge of Dartmoor, Devon. Its heaven.

Nikon 24mm f3.5 PC-E or Nikon 24mm f1.4 lens

Hi everyone. This s my first time on any forum, so if I get things wrong, please excuse me.

I will be buying a Nikon D700 or its replacement, if its out in time, and I intend to buy a new wide prime lens for my landscape work. My questions are:-

1) Is there any noticeable difference in optical and image quality between these two lenses
    that would push me one way or the other??

2) Will I notice a difference in overall image quality between Nikon 17-35mm f2.8, that I
    currently use with excellent results, and either of these two 24mm lenes??

3) Which way would you go??

I realise that the 24mm f1.4 is a lot faster and if I don't need the speed then the PC-E is a lot cheaper and Ideal for landscape from a perspective and DOF point of view, however, quality is far more important than price.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Nikon 24mm f3.5 PC-E or Nikon 24mm f1.4 lens

Welcome
    Have you looked here ...
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Welcome
    Have you looked here ...
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html
    Hi Clactonian. Thanks for that, just taken a look, seems like an impressive first glance, write up of the PC-E LENS, no full review yet. Nothing about the 24mm f1.4, yet anyway.

Cheers for link.

Real Name
    Hans

Hi
    Welcome to CIC

I'm a canon user but if I look at the 24 mm pc-e this lens is more designed for perspective correction by shift/tilt. The 24 mm 1.4 lens does not have these features but has a higher opening.
    I think it depends on what you want to do with this lens. If you want to shoot architectural kind of photography go for the PC-E lens. If this is not your plan and only need the wide angle of the 24 mm then go for the 1.4 lens.
    Also you have to get practiced on a PC-E lens how to use the shift/tilt and also the manual focus.
    Quality issues, I think that lenses in this price range are simply top of the line so I would not bother about that to much.

I just found this link that might interset you.
    But of course Canon is better
    Last edited by Hansm; 21st September 2010 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hansm View Post
    Hi
    Welcome to CIC

I'm a canon user but if I look at the 24 mm pc-e this lens is more designed for perspective correction by shift/tilt. The 24 mm 1.4 lens does not have these features but has a higher opening.
    I think it depends on what you want to do with this lens. If you want to shoot architectural kind of photography go for the PC-E lens. If this is not your plan and only need the wide angle of the 24 mm then go for the 1.4 lens.
    Also you have to get practiced on a PC-E lens how to use the shift/tilt and also the manual focus.
    Quality issues, I think that lenses in this price range are simply top of the line so I would not bother about that to much.

I just found this link that might interset you.
    But of course Canon is better
    Hi. Many thanks for the info. Yes, I realise it will be a fairly sharp learning curve, but the day we stop learning, we just as well pack and go home and wait for the end. My main interest is Landscape and cityscape so the PC-E seemed to be an obvious contender along with 24mm f1.4, but as you say, the lenses in this price bracket are of the highest quality with little between them, but you know what its like when you are thinking of parting with this sort of money, you want to make the right decision, so a few opinions from other like minded people always helps.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Hans

I have a 24-70 mm 2.8 canon and also the 24mm T/S MkIfrom canon.
    If I use the T/S lens then a tripod comes with it + spirit level. Not only for Architectural Photography but also for city scapes. The shift option also gives you the possiblity to shift left-right for panorama kind of scenes. Stiching the images together is much simpler. But when using the T/S it's never a point and shoot situation meaning you will spend more time in finding the best position and light circumstances. This slows you down which is definetly not a disadvantage.
    The 24-70 mm zoom is used when fast action is required.

Quote Originally Posted by hansm View Post
    I have a 24-70 mm 2.8 canon and also the 24mm T/S MkIfrom canon.
    If I use the T/S lens then a tripod comes with it + spirit level. Not only for Architectural Photography but also for city scapes. The shift option also gives you the possiblity to shift left-right for panorama kind of scenes. Stiching the images together is much simpler. But when using the T/S it's never a point and shoot situation meaning you will spend more time in finding the best position and light circumstances. This slows you down which is definetly not a disadvantage.
    The 24-70 mm zoom is used when fast action is required.
    Hi. Yes, when I'm doing any landscape work, the tripod is with me. The Tors on Dartmoor tend to be windy even on the most still days, couple that with very rocky, uneven ground, a tripod is essential for stability at anytime. Thats probably the one thing that I get moaned at for by the wife, going out for a couple of landscape shots and come home 10 hrs later, yes, I do take my time, even using my Nikon 17-35mm, I check everything in the viewfinder and wait for the light to improve etc. Dartmoor isn't a place you want to rush around, you'd end up killing yourself. The panorama's and stitching is something I have read about and another reason I considered the PC-E lens. It looks like the PC-E has the winning vote at the moment.
    Just sold a load of gear on Ebay that I don't use anymore, so looking good for a spend up shortly. Hoped the D700 replacement was going to be announced this month at Photokina, but no such luck. I would go for the D700 but its now 2+ years old and a lot has happened in sensor technology. Just have to wait a while.
    Anyway cheers for all your help.