Thread: Arlo

Real Name
    Kim

Arlo

This past weekend, one of my K9 friends, asked if I could help him out. His girlfriend wanted a picture for a Christmas card, but he was tardy in getting it accomplished. As they wanted a picture that included his German Shepherd and her Great Dane, I was glad to assist. When I found out the Dane was blue (color), and a senior citizen, I was really looking forward to, and hoping to get a wonderful capture for her. I wasn't disappointed, Arlo was a very special boy and we had a wonderful afternoon. It was a very gloomy day, so I did have to take my flash out. Here's one of Arlo:

Arlo

Real Name
    John

Re: Arlo

Nice shot.

Real Name
    John

That is one beautiful hound. Not called the Apollo of dogs for nothing. Nicely caught expression as well Kim. The BG highlights are a little distracting but your eye soon returns to the dog.

Real Name
    Maurice

Good image, nice dog and capture.

Real Name
    Natalie

Beautiful dog, great color. I love Great Danes. I had two in my lifetime, wonderful gentle giants....Same eyes as my last one (but my Buddy was a brindle also with natural ears).....I miss him so.....the highlights in the sky are a bit too bright, but the grasses and dog are wonderful. Love the aged white around the muzzle.

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    That is one beautiful hound. Not called the Apollo of dogs for nothing. Nicely caught expression as well Kim. The BG highlights are a little distracting but your eye soon returns to the dog.

I agree with John if you had made a few step on the left it would be better, but with if..... then
    Nice expression, the flash is not too visible.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice shot.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you John and Jean. I did take some very tight head shots of Arlo for his Mom as well - I try to cover all the bases. The highlights didn't bother me in this one -- the sky was pretty crazy that day with darkness and light. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    I agree with John if you had made a few step on the left it would be better, but with if..... then
    Nice expression, the flash is not too visible.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you for commenting Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow View Post
    Good image, nice dog and capture.

Real Name
    Kim

Sorry for your loss Natalie -- hopefully the image brought back some nice memories. I love the "white face" too -- a sign of wisdom in dogs. Thanks for your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Beautiful dog, great color. I love Great Danes. I had two in my lifetime, wonderful gentle giants....Same eyes as my last one (but my Buddy was a brindle also with natural ears).....I miss him so.....the highlights in the sky are a bit too bright, but the grasses and dog are wonderful. Love the aged white around the muzzle.

Real Name
    Binnur

Arlo looks very handsome Kim

Real Name
    Richard

Lovely image of Arlo. IMO, the flash added to the interest by producing the small catchlights in Arlo's eyes. Along with selective focus, the flash also helped separate Arlo from the background.

I ordered my Christmas Cards from Vista Print and they have a three day delivery that is not inordinately expensive.
    http://www.vistaprint.com/christmas-...EU&xnav=TopNav

You can upload a desired image and try all their numerous combinations. I was quite happy with this year's Christmas Card I did.
    Arlo

The quality of their cards is great!

Here is a possibility of a Christmas Card with Arlo as the subject...
    Arlo

I think that the color of the card compliments the general color of the image. I also like the subject being offset to the side...

If I was your friend, I would have a large canvas print done of this image of Arlo...

BTW: I like dogs with natural ears and have to give credit to the U.K. Kennel Club for their prohibition of docked ears and tails in U.K. competition.

Originally, docked tails and ears were done so that a guard dog in attack mode couldn't be held by the ears or swung by the tail....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 8th December 2016 at 08:36 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

Really pleasing image. I like it.

Dave

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you Richard. I used the flash for the catchlights and to fill shadows and I was pleased with the results.

Making Christmas cards is so much fun -- I love yours! And I also like the one you did of Arlo. The owners are going to use an image which includes the two of them, and the shepherd and dane :-) They didn't tell me which one they selected - they are going to send me a card.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Lovely image of Arlo. IMO, the flash added to the interest by producing the small catchlights in Arlo's eyes. Along with selective focus, the flash also helped separate Arlo from the background.

I ordered my Christmas Cards from Vista Print and they have a three day delivery that is not inordinately expensive.
    http://www.vistaprint.com/christmas-...EU&xnav=TopNav

You can upload a desired image and try all their numerous combinations. I was quite happy with this year's Christmas Card I did.
    Arlo

The quality of their cards is great!

Here is a possibility of a Christmas Card with Arlo as the subject...
    Arlo

I think that the color of the card compliments the general color of the image. I also like the subject being offset to the side...

If I was your friend, I would have a large canvas print done of this image of Arlo...

BTW: I like dogs with natural ears and have to give credit to the U.K. Kennel Club for their prohibition of docked ears and tails in U.K. competition.

Originally, docked tails and ears were done so that a guard dog in attack mode couldn't be held by the ears or swung by the tail....

Real Name
    Kim

thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Really pleasing image. I like it.

Dave