Thread: Tufas in Mono Lake

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tufas in Mono Lake

The fresh water flowing into the salt water of the lake results in a chemical reaction and the build up of these magnificent Tufas. The area is covered in them.

Water levels fell dramatically in the lake when Los Angeles started taking the water for domestic purposes. Thankfully a passionate group of people in the area have now had legislation and regulation put in place and a programme to increase the volume of water of the lake is underway.

But the result of the fall in the level of the lake is that the vast majority of the Tufas are now on dry land.

The making of this image was greatly assisted by the fire some 30/40 miles south near Mammoth Lakes and the breeze that was taking the smoke north over the Mono basin.

As always, your views and opinions are welcomed.

Tufas in Mono Lake
    Last edited by Donald; 6th December 2016 at 09:45 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

re: Tufas in Mono Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The making of this image was greatly assisted by the fire some 30/40 miles south near Mammoth Lakes and the breeze that was taking the smoke north over the Mono basin.
    Which is a reminder that for a Landscape tog (i.e. not me!), crappy weather - certainly fog, is probably a good time to go out with the camera.

The line of 6 dots over on the right hand side is intriguing, any comment on those?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    The line of 6 dots over on the right hand side is intriguing, any comment on those?
    I think all the dots on here are either:

a) the tips of Tufus breaking the surface or,
    b) birds.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Been waiting to see you take on the Mono Lake with their tufus. Very nice indeed.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Maurice

Fabulous image.

Real Name
    John

Best viewed from a distance or the little horizon dots just looks distracting. Nicely composed.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very nice, calm.... if you google "tufus", it talks about "Rufus" only

Real Name
    Jim

try Tufa, you'll get the right results.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Jim, thank you very much

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Tufas in Mono Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Jim, thank you very much
    My apologies. My spelling was wrong. This has now been corrected.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I've seen lots of photos of Mono Lake and don't remember seeing one made in this style. Very nice!

A bit of history
    "Starting in 1941 the streams that fed Mono Lake were diverted for use by the city of Los Angeles. With a yearly evaporation rate of 45 inches (nearly four feet) the lake level quickly dropped, going from an elevation of 6,417 feet (1,956m) above sea level to a low point of 6,372 feet (1,942m) above sea level. The accompanying 31% loss of surface area and 50% loss of water volume had a devastating effect on the estimated two million birds that used the lake each year, as well as causing air quality problems due to the dust from the now-exposed lakebed. In 1994 a court ordered that the lake be returned to a level of 6,392 feet (1,948m) above sea level, but due to droughts in the region the current (May-2015) level is still only 6,379 feet (1,944m) above sea level." Extracted from this.

I read somewhere that in 1994 the group that monitors the lake predicted that the goal of 6,392 feet (1,948m) above sea level would be achieved in 2014. As of the latest level reported on April 1, 2016, the level is 6378 feet (1944 meters), still only 7 feet (2 meters) above the low point, not the 25 feet (8 meters) that had been predicted. See PDF page 32 of this.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 6th December 2016 at 10:24 AM.

Real Name
    John

Classic Donald. Just enough separation between sky and water and solid FG interest. Your fine art style suits this well.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for your comments

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I've seen lots of photos of Mono Lake and don't remember seeing one made in this style. Very nice!
    I found it an incredibly hard place to photograph. What I mean by that is, Yes, there are endless photo opportunities for the person who wants a picture of the tufas. But to compose the sort of image I wanted, I found, was almost impossible. I just couldn't get the sort of angles that I felt worked. I've got a couple still to process that are, I think, okay, but not spectacular.

My ideal shot would have been to get out onto the lake and shoot back in towards the shore with the Easter Sierra as a backdrop. However, you are not allowed just to get into a boat a go out onto the lake. And when I did try to get close the shore to be able to shoot back into the land, I ended up 3 feet down into the mud and rather frightened that I wasn't going to get back out.

So, not an easy location, in my experience. But this was just on the basis of two extended visits to the location. I think you'd need to spend an awful lot more time there to get to understand it, study it and work out the shots to go for ... and then be there at different times of day for the correct light.

Real Name
    Richard

I agree wit yoyu Donald. I also think that the best images of Mono Lake and its Tufas would be from a boat...

However, I vaguely remember about 20-years ago, I was able to get relatively close to some of the Tufas while still on the shore. Maybe that was a function of the water level...

Real Name
    Jim

Many years ago, a friend of mine who lived in Lee Vining took us out around the lake in a military amphibious vehicle. That's what it took to get out there. We went handgun bowling. We stood up three pins in a triangle and you had two shots to knock down three pins. Don't ask me the rules, it was 30 years ago.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimr1961 View Post
    Many years ago, a friend of mine who lived in Lee Vining took us out around the lake in a military amphibious vehicle. That's what it took to get out there. We went handgun bowling. We stood up three pins in a triangle and you had two shots to knock down three pins. Don't ask me the rules, it was 30 years ago.
    Changed days, Jim. Nowadays you are not allowed out onto the water except in a supervised group led by an approved person from the lake management group. And, then, only in canoes or kayaks. No engine powered boat is allowed AT ALL.

Fantastic picture! I love all that negative space.