Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Crane

Crane

Crane in Martin Mere Sanctuary - first photo posted on CIC.

Crane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by photophile; 5th December 2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: to increase size of file

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Crane

Nice and sharp Bill,

Also well exposed, looks the right colour and with a non distracting background which is blurred.

All round, well done.

The only suggestion I have would be to not crop quite so tight in front of the bill/beak.

Dave

PS
    The only issue is that you didn't post the image large enough (it was just a thumbnail), if you go back and edit it, you'll see what I added to achieve the bigger picture - this is all in those instructions I gave, under 'Part 2', IIRC.

'Part 1' hosts it, 'Part 2' provides a link to it from the post you wrote in, so we can see it - else the two operations are separate and we cannot see it (or not properly) - which is a shame.

Welcome to the forums from me.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Hi photophile, i too felt the same way as Dave felt; there should have been some more "beaking" space in front; for the rest, it is very nice; hearty welcome

Real Name
    Binnur

I agree with the comments above. Nice image but the framing is a bit too tight

Real Name
    Maurice

Welcome photophile, good effort.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Thanks for your comments - I agree with the beak being too near the left - suppose I could have extended the background with PP but as it was aclose portrait thought it was not really necessary at the time.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Well done a nice shot.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

If your camera allows you to move the aiming point, put it where you would like the eye to be in the image captured. We tend to fixate on that point when composing. If you use the center position you are setting yourself up for an image where an important part is too near the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    If your camera allows you to move the aiming point, put it where you would like the eye to be in the image captured. We tend to fixate on that point when composing. If you use the center position you are setting yourself up for an image where an important part is too near the edge.
    Thanks for the advice - are you referring to moving the focus points?

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by photophile View Post
    Thanks for the advice - are you referring to moving the focus points?
    Yes. With Nikons you can move them with the control wheel/switch on the back. I have my menu set up so that it does not wrap around and OK puts it back on the center point. I find it useful for leading a bird a bit when shooting Birds in flight.

I usually try to make sure to leave myself a bit of room to crop for the final image. Reality doesn't always fit standard aspect ratios.