Thread: A powerful toothache

A powerful toothache

A powerful toothache

Fuji X100; f11, ISO 400, 1/550sec.
    Last edited by Davejl; 4th December 2016 at 03:51 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: A powerful toothache

Wonderful composition, texture, three-dimensional look and conversion. Though it would be a really nice image if the person was not included, that person takes the image to a higher level. Exceptionally well done!

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Wonderful composition, texture, three-dimensional look and conversion. Though it would be a really nice image if the person was not included, that person takes the image to a higher level. Exceptionally well done!

+1
    except that I hesitate about the person, I think it adds scale, but he (she) has a weird behavior maybe due to the wind?

Thanks Mike. The cliffs and rock (Carreg Bica, the spat-out rotten tooth of the giant Bica, hence my daft title) were rather dark in the colour original and seem to have lightened effectively in the b+w

Thanks Jean. In fact the person is carrying a child, and probably finding it hard work on the sand, hence the pose

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed.

Real Name
    Maurice

Fabulous image, looks so rugged and majestic. Well captured.

Real Name
    Chris

I'm obviously missing something

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I really like the image; but why such a caption? may be that it is some usage unknown to me?

I like the inclusion of the person, and the rendition in B&W is just right. Whilst I really like it am bemused by the title. You need to tell the story Dave.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Yes...there are some piccies that need to have some narrative in them for your audience to understand what they are looking at...and there are some that tells a story even in silence. I rather like the former than the latter. Like Jim, I like the inclusion of the person/s in the shot because it represents another element to fill the gap. Textures are nice, too. I wonder what the colour version looks like too....???

Real Name
    Dave

Outstanding image well done.

Dave

I am crap at thinking up titles for photos and I never think of a title at the time I take a shot (I wonder if anyone else does?). I decided to give this an odd title simply because I wondered whether it would tempt anyone to look at it who might have been disinclined to look at, say, "Coastal scene in black and white".

FWIW this is Carreg Bica on the Ceredigion coast of Wales. According to legend, a giant named Bica spat out this rock, which was actually one of his gnashers giving him hell with toothache! (Amazing what people could think up in olden times, before they became obsessed with moblie phones and selfies).

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Yes...there are some piccies that need to have some narrative in them for your audience to understand what they are looking at...and there are some that tells a story even in silence. I rather like the former than the latter. Like Jim, I like the inclusion of the person/s in the shot because it represents another element to fill the gap. Textures are nice, too. I wonder what the colour version looks like too....???
    A powerful toothache

Hi Izzy, this is the colour RAF file converted to DNG then jpeg at default settings (for title see above)

Real Name
    Binnur

The child is more visible in the color image but I prefer the B&W version, very nice Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    The child is more visible in the color image but I prefer the B&W version, very nice Dave
    Thanks Binnur, yes, I thought B+W rescued an image which I might have dumped otherwise

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I see in colour so I prefer this colour instead. I must be out of touch...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I see in colour so I prefer this colour instead. I must be out of touch...sorry.
    No need to apologize. Whenever I show my father colour and b+w versions of the same image, he always prefers the colour. I just think that with this particular photo the more shadowed areas respond better to mono treatment. I certainly wouldn't want to exchange the rich colours of some of the other shots I took on this trip for mono

Real Name
    John

It is indeed a magnificent image.

Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    +1
    except that I hesitate about the person, I think it adds scale, but he (she) has a weird behavior maybe due to the wind?
    I think the person gives the impression of a wild and windy day (even if it wasn't).

John