Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Alaska Oilfield Lisburne Production Center

Real Name
    John

Alaska Oilfield Lisburne Production Center

All,
    Hope you like it. It would be nice if you would critique this. Was on my way to training on the other side of the field and saw this. It only lasted for a short while (naturally). Brings home the idea to always have some sort of camera with you.

lisburne-morning-sun.jpg

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th September 2010 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Alaska Oilfield Lisburne Production Center

I like it.

Real Name
    Jim

I like it a lot! First thing that came to mind was.....A-Bomb blast in the distance.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I like it too, although I might be inclined to crop away some of the dark foreground at the bottom, which does tend to dominate the image.
    The sun could not be in a better position and silhouettes the buildings perfectly. Well spotted.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi John,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

At the risk of this becoming a bit repetitive; I like it too

I agree with Mike, say 10% off the bottom edge and possibly do what Colin has been known to suggest; stretch it horizontally so it becomes a 2:1 (w:h) ratio, I thnk you'll get away with it. But apart from that, there's nothing to 'improve'.

If 16:9 shape, it would make a nice desktop background for the computer if you stick your icons in the dark bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    First thing that came to mind was.....A-Bomb blast in the distance.
    I see what you mean Jim, yes, I'm sure there's a 1950's nuclear test film with a shot just like this, one we've all seen.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Looks good. although the center of interest only about twenty percent of the image, the eyes are still directed around the entire frame. The image sort of radiates outward.

Real Name
    John

Dave, Jim,
    One of the girls at work suggested sending this to the Anchorage Daily News, but am reluctant as it does look like a nuke (BP has had sooo much publicity lately. I would hate to add to the speculation and BS by publicising a picture that could get misconstrued). Thanks for the welcome and the comments! Will try the 10% and 16:9 crop and see how it works.
    Thanks,
    John

Real Name
    John

All,
    Am posting another from work. Although I like the picture, I can't help feeling that there ain't much goin' on in the frame. Maybe slice some from the top and the bottom. This still leaves a whole lot of room between the elements. Taken with a Panasonic DMC-LX3 on a really cold day...
    Although I'm not new to photography, I'm starting to be more serious. Would like to graduate from snapshots to images that evoke feelings beyond "Well, ain't that pretty". Yeah, I know,this pretty much means either school or a Mentor. Am willing but don't know if I have the time.Alaska Oilfield Lisburne Production Center

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jww40 View Post
    Dave, Jim,
    One of the girls at work suggested sending this to the Anchorage Daily News, but am reluctant as it does look like a nuke (BP has had sooo much publicity lately. I would hate to add to the speculation and BS by publicising a picture that could get misconstrued). Thanks for the welcome and the comments! Will try the 10% and 16:9 crop and see how it works.
    Thanks,
    John
    If you license your photograph to any periodical do you give up the right to determine how it is used? I would say yes you do, so if sell your photograph to the Anchorage Daily News and the editors are in favor of BP then prepare for your photograph to used to market an organization that is in need of all the favorable attention they can get. That being said, if you know the policies of the news organization you plan to sell your photograph to, and they are in line with your own then you shouldn't be worried about how the photograph is used.

Real Name
    Steve

Very Nice. I travel with my camera as much as possible.