Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Err 99 ARGH!!!!

Real Name
    Myra

Err 99 ARGH!!!!

After two weeks of no photography (our daughter just got off to college for the first year, I'm back to teaching after holidays so lots of prep work etc etc) I decided to take a walk around the local duck pond this foggy morning just as the sun was rising. Ah, bliss... click click... red light. WHAT? Tried the on/off. Battery out. Switched lenses. Switched cards. Not one shot could be had.

So, as I sit typing, the battery is re-charging, I've taken out and returned the date/time battery (didn't even know there was one!), have gently cleaned the contacts with a clean pencil eraser and will soon test it again. I found an article: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.31/canon-err99 that I have been following in an attempt to rectify the situation. If I can't, then it's off to our local camera shop so they can send it on to Canon. (It's a 40D, btw).

My Rebel is sitting in the daughter's dorm room. Will I soon start shaking from photography withdrawal??

Myra

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Err 99 ARGH!!!!

That's terrible Myra: If it has to go into the shop, is there any chance you they might supply you with a courtesy camera to keep you going until yours is fixed.

Wendy

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    After two weeks of no photography (our daughter just got off to college for the first year, I'm back to teaching after holidays so lots of prep work etc etc) I decided to take a walk around the local duck pond this foggy morning just as the sun was rising. Ah, bliss... click click... red light. WHAT? Tried the on/off. Battery out. Switched lenses. Switched cards. Not one shot could be had.

So, as I sit typing, the battery is re-charging, I've taken out and returned the date/time battery (didn't even know there was one!), have gently cleaned the contacts with a clean pencil eraser and will soon test it again. I found an article: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.31/canon-err99 that I have been following in an attempt to rectify the situation. If I can't, then it's off to our local camera shop so they can send it on to Canon. (It's a 40D, btw).

My Rebel is sitting in the daughter's dorm room. Will I soon start shaking from photography withdrawal??

Myra
    In most manuals an Err message provides the solution of contacting an authorized service representative.

Real Name
    David

Hi Myra - Sorry to hear the Canon 40D has gone down. I use one and have not had a problem. However, I've just perused to article in your link and you appear to be doing everything that's reasonable. (99 or 999 or 9999 are often computer geek speak for "all other causes".) One other possibility is that the main battery is wearing out and even if you recharge it you may not get the full voltage from it. Thus, a new battery may be required. Moisture can also be a problem, but not necessarily a disaster. If you've not already tried it, use a cotton bud on a stick to carefully wipe the inside of the battery compartment in case there is a tiny droplet of condensation. I hope you'll be successful.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

99 times out of 100 they're a temporary error where momentarily removing the batteries and lens fixes it (I've had them on 20D & 1Ds3), but the othe 1 in 100 time it's usually off to the shop I'm afraid.

Did you try another CF card by the way?

Real Name
    Myra

It's off to the shop next week. Tried a different card, recharged the battery, three different lenses etc etc. Not once did the error message disappear. The only think I couldn't try was a different battery as I don't have one. I will ask our local shop if they can try that before sending it out, though. Thanks for the advice and sympathy At least my dear daughter has agreed to lend me "her" Rebel until my camera gets fixed.

Myra

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    It's off to the shop next week. Tried a different card, recharged the battery, three different lenses etc etc. Not once did the error message disappear. The only think I couldn't try was a different battery as I don't have one. I will ask our local shop if they can try that before sending it out, though. Thanks for the advice and sympathy At least my dear daughter has agreed to lend me "her" Rebel until my camera gets fixed.

Myra
    Oh well ... the sooner you get it away, the sooner you'll get it back! Just make sure that "the shop" doesn't file it in the "too hard" basket for a week. Of course the other option is upgrading to a 60D or 7D (go on ... you know you want to!).

Real Name
    Hans

Hi Myra

I hope your camera will be fixed very soon.
    Thanks for sharing this very interesting link.
    Lot's of info over there.

Real Name
    Chris

What ever happened to your 40D Myra? The reason I ask is my 20D has just decided to fail me as well...
    I have also tried all the basic fixes, but to no avail. Mine is, however, a tad bit different. I can fire a shot and it takes the picture, but then err99 shows up. I then have to shut off the camera and pop the battery door, close it back up turn on the power switch, and magically the camera works until the next shutter release. You know: lather, scrub, rinse, and repeat.

Real Name

Good news Chris,

You know that excuse you were looking for to buy a new camera ...

Real Name
    Chris

Actually, finally got it working correctly tonight after two weeks and adding a post. Believe it or not, I took everything off the camera and shook it to find a little piece of plastic fall out of battery compartment. It now (crossing fingers) appears to be working.

As for the excuse, it would have been well planned but also would have taken from the fund I'm saving for the 70-200 and a new Macbook pro. The puters for school so unfortunately it takes precedence. Then the "L" and lastly a new body. At least that's how I'm planning it so long as the trusty 20D continues to work. I'm goin out early tomorrow in the wonderful 20 degree F of Wisconsin and we'll see how it does. If it works tomorrow I'll be a happy man, even though the 7D did sound like a nice new toy.....