Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photoshop blues

Photoshop blues

Having just got into trouble with the accounts department in our house buying a D90, I'm disappointed to find that my antique CS2 can't read the raw files. Looking at the Adobe website implies that the support for raw convertion add-ons stopped ages ago.
    Is there any way that I can get the raw files into CS2 without any further expenditure, as that would have me speaking in a squeaky voice for some time to come.

TIA

Real Name
    Hans

Re: Photoshop blues

You can download ADOBE DNG convertor. This converts your RAWfiles into DNG and very likely these can be used in CS2
    I use DNG Converter almost always and did not see nay sort of quality decrease. Also very handy to rename your filenames.
    The Software is Freeware
    Windows link
    Mac Link

Have downloaded the file and will have a go later. I have to take the accounts department to see her friends at the moment so it'll be tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

You could also use NikonView to open your RAW files before exporting to Photoshop for additional editing. It is a free download here
    http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/a...49/r_id/150284

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    You could also use NikonView to open your RAW files before exporting to Photoshop for additional editing. It is a free download here
    http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/a...49/r_id/150284
    I agree totally.

I still use it because I really like the 100% loupe view with the "position memory" between frames; allowing one to position two images for no movement of a certain element of the composition, then flick between them to critically assess say, focus or 'micro-composition' without having what you're looking at leap around the screen. Not sure if anything else does this.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I still use it because I really like the 100% loupe view with the "position memory" between frames; allowing one to position two images for no movement of a certain element of the composition, then flick between them to critically assess say, focus or 'micro-composition' without having what you're looking at leap around the screen. Not sure if anything else does this.
    Hi Dave,

Adobe Bridge does the same thing.

Real Name

Hi Jonathan,

I'm another big fan of the DNG format. You won't lose ANY quality from using DNG because it's still a RAW file format ... it's just organised in a standardised way.

THe DNG converter gives you quite a few advantages ...

1. You get a standardised format that you can open in ANY version of Photoshop CS "x".

2. DNG Files are typically a little smaller (better lossless compression)

3. The converter offers some VERY powerful renaming options (so you can point it at a bunch of files on your card and have it convert / rename / and save the resulting DNG files in a location on your hard drive).

4. Because DNG is a format that Adobe understands, it's happy to write XMP data back to the file so you don't those pesky *.XMP sidecar files (unless you choose to write XMP information to Bridge's database whick I think is vvery dangerous since NOBODY ever bother to back it up - and if yo lose it then you lose your edits to EVERY RAW file you've ever adjusted).

The only downside to DNG is that some 3rd party software doesn't read then (eg DxO). Personally, I convert EVERYTHING to DNG and then discard the original *.CR2 files (I'm a Canon shooter).

Hope this helps

The DNG cure fixed it. Thanks a lot guys, you're all stars.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post
    Having just got into trouble with the accounts department in our house buying a D90...
    Those pesky accounts people again, eh? They just fail at an intellectual level to grasp the aesthetic dimension of your photographic art. In fact you could use that as a good line....

Bean-counter: You want to buy what!!!
    Artist in residence: Darling, I can't help thinking that you fail at an intellectual level to grasp the aesthetic dimension of my photographic art.

I think that should do the trick.

Real Name
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Bean-counter: You want to buy what!!!
    Artist in residence: Darling, I can't help thinking that you fail at an intellectual level to grasp the aesthetic dimension of my photographic art.

I think that should do the trick.
    Thanks Rob,

I will remember this one.

Fur sure this will help

johathan Good to hear your problem is fixed!

Real Name

Darling, I can't help thinking that you fail at an intellectual level to grasp the aesthetic dimension of my photographic art.
    Bad, bad move!

Two rules for dealing with SWMBO ...

1. SWMBO is ALWAYS right.

2. If it appears that SWMBO is wrong, re-read rule #1!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Bad, bad move!

Two rules for dealing with SWMBO ...

1. SWMBO is ALWAYS right.

2. If it appears that SWMBO is wrong, re-read rule #1!
    Normally, I would agree with this. But you have to remember that women only think they are right all of the time. If you can see that window of opportunity when self-doubt appears to surface you can artificially precipitate what psychiatrists might call a 'momentary existential crisis'. This moment calls for valour, and by pressing home the 'fact' that you are right and not SWMBO, you will win the day. Whether you live to see another one though is another matter.

Have a nice day. Photoshop blues

Real Name
    Gareth

Normally, I would agree with this. But you have to remember that women only think they are right all of the time. If you can see that window of opportunity when self-doubt appears to surface you can artificially precipitate what psychiatrists might call a 'momentary existential crisis'. This moment calls for valour, and by pressing home the 'fact' that you are right and not SWMBO, you will win the day. Whether you live to see another one though is another matter.
    Yeah..good luck with THAT!!! I'll keep a look out for you in the Obituaries column
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 20th September 2010 at 10:54 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by dragonaxe View Post
    Yeah..good luck with THAT!!! I'll keep a look out for you in the Obituaries column
    It's been over 4 hours since we've heard from Rob; I'm fearing the worst!

Real Name
    Aldo

Deploying search party ? (with thea and biscuits, strange english language party)

I just married the right woman. It gets confirmed every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    It's been over 4 hours since we've heard from Rob; I'm fearing the worst!
    Photoshop blues

Real Name
    Martyn

i would just add that adobe want to make the DNG a standard in the industry, they once said that they would never ever replace it, lets hope so, i for one get really fed up when you upgrade one bit of kit you then have to invest more money in other upgrading areas that you didnt even think about, cheers martyn ps dont even ask about 8 track.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadr View Post
    i would just add that adobe want to make the DNG a standard in the industry, they once said that they would never ever replace it, lets hope so, i for one get really fed up when you upgrade one bit of kit you then have to invest more money in other upgrading areas that you didnt even think about, cheers martyn ps dont even ask about 8 track.
    What about 8 track then?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by nomadr View Post
    i would just add that adobe want to make the DNG a standard in the industry, they once said that they would never ever replace it, lets hope so, i for one get really fed up when you upgrade one bit of kit you then have to invest more money in other upgrading areas that you didnt even think about
    And I think they're doing a pretty good job so far ... it's proven a great way to help folks with new cameras open the images on very old versions of Photoshop (in fact any version of CS, if you save in the right version of DNG).