Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

View Poll Results: Which do you like the best?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll

14 77.78%

4 22.22%

Thread: Poll #2 Which one do you like the best

Real Name
    Wendy

Poll #2 Which one do you like the best

Re: Poll #2 Which one do you like the best

Wendy

They both look a little bit off, colour-wise. The first looks too yellow to me. I did an edit and desaturated the yellow to make the greens more palatable, but these things are very subjective. Mine is on the right.

Real Name
    David

Wendy - of the two presented #1 looks the better with slightly more detail. #2 looks flatter. Re this and your other poll post, if you use Canon software, particularly DPP, you can use their Picture Style Editor to produce really interesting partially desaturated images, along the lines that Rob has shown, but with very great selectivity. If you're not in the Canon family then you can't:

Cheers

David

Real Name
    John

The butterfly looks the same in both. I like the first one better because the background looks more natural for the subject matter. The background in the second photo might be more realistic but the colors appear colder in temperature.

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Wendy;

I like #2 best. I assume the colors are untrue, but I like the more dead white, chalky look on the wings, and the butterfly stands out much better.

Cheers,
    Rick

Wendy,

No 1 for me with Dr Rob's patent snake oil applied. I can see what you are trying to do with No 2 but in this case reducing the intensity of the background is doing the subject no favours (probably because it is mainly white). A much less fussy composition than the two butterflies in Poll 1 though.

Steve

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like #1 wins out here too. Rob, I like what you have done with the rework. It is subtle, but it works to tone down the yellows. I have already desaturated the greens a bit in the shot posted.

The greens and yellows are the natural colours, but I don't like them. I think I will try to keep the colours from the second shot, and perhaps darken them a bit. This is the only shot I got of the white butterfly. They don't sit still very long at all. It took me over an hour to sneak up on this one. I wasn't out to shoot butterflies so had to try and get pretty close with a 45mm lens.

Thanks again for all the comments. As always very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Wendy