Thread: Scotland's Isle of Skye locations

Real Name
    Steve

Scotland's Isle of Skye locations

Hi all
    Anyone know any good locations for some wildlife shooting on the Isle of skye?
    I've heard that there maybe some eagles etc up there and would like a bash at imaging them.
    Any pointers gratefully received.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Scotland's Isle of Skye locations

If you are after eagles particularly, then you'd need to head to The Cuillins. It's in amongst the mountains that you'll find Golden Eagles. You could look at something like RSPB or John Muir Trust websites to see if you can get more specific guidance on specific locations.
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd November 2016 at 09:44 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

How about joining a wildlife tour? Having local knowledge is likely to give you the best chance of seeing some wildlife, though nothing is guaranteed.

I haven't been on any tours on Skye but there are plenty of details available online.

Otherwise it is down to patience and luck. I'm fortunate enough to visit north west Scotland fairly frequently and always look out for wildlife and last week my luck was in - two white tailed eagles within about 20 minutes; but prior to that I hadn't seen any white tailed eagles for around two years.

Dave

Real Name
    Colin

Ah, my neck of the woods

I frequently see Sea Eagles and sometimes Golden Eagles flying over my house but they seldom come close enough to take a photo that's not just a dot in the sky. Sometimes my neighbour will shoot a few pidgeons and the buzzards come down but again most of my efforts to take a good shot have failed. But then wildlife is not my area of interest.

If you go to a place called Gillen on Waternish and then follow the track at the end of the road you can get down to the bay - Scorr Bay. There are some crags there and the eagles are known to frequent that area.

Real Name
    Steve

Thank you so much everyone
    Great tip Colin, cheers buddy I will check that location out