Thread: Help with ideas for photography without much hand movement

Real Name
    Andy

Help with ideas for photography without much hand movement

Hi guys, long time no post

I have a disability that makes it hard for me to move my hands and arms, and have been trying to think of ways to make things easier for me.
    My sister recently got a Nikon D810 and i found the controls on it a little hard to use, so i've been coming up with solutions. I mainly shoot indoors, nothing fast like sports.

1. if i shoot tethered to a laptop, will i be able to control iso, aperture etc, as well as take the shot? is it possible to focus through the laptop or would i have to rely on autofocus.
    2. I've seen an electronic pan/tilt head called the mp-101 (video here)- i was wondering if anyone has experience with this, or any tips for where to source it in the uk
    3. I was thinking of mounting the pan.tilt head (weighs about 2lb) to the top of something like this - a studio light support - this would then be clamped securely to my wheelchair so there would be no danger of it toppling over - is this a safe thing to do? or is there a better alternative like a monopod

any other ideas would be really appreciate

Real Name
    Paul David

re: Help with ideas for photography without much hand movement

Would a GoPro work ?

Real Name
    Andy

I would like to be producing quite high quality images and the ability to use speedlights and different lenses for artistic portrait style shots

Real Name
    Grahame

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    1. if i shoot tethered to a laptop, will i be able to control iso, aperture etc, as well as take the shot? is it possible to focus through the laptop or would i have to rely on autofocus.
    Three programmes come to mind, Helicon remote, ControlMyNikon, and Nikons own package (forgot the name).

They range between free, cheap and costly. I have the first two, but unfortunately have not got them back working again yet after a rebuild so I can check but one certainly allows remote focusing plus exposure settings adjustment.

2. I've seen an electronic pan/tilt head called the mp-101 (video here)- i was wondering if anyone has experience with this, or any tips for where to source it in the uk
    Sorry no experience but I sure others will have ideas, but a smart bit of kit.

3. I was thinking of mounting the pan.tilt head (weighs about 2lb) to the top of something like this - a studio light support - this would then be clamped securely to my wheelchair so there would be no danger of it toppling over - is this a safe thing to do? or is there a better alternative like a monopod
    I suspect a monopod may be favourable but I'm sure there are other alternatives.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Ideas...

Are there hand movements enough to allows a large-armed tripod pan and tilt head secured in front of you mounted on the wheelchair would allow ease of tilt movements, gross panning could be achieved by moving the wheelchair and then finer adjustments manually.

I would think if I were in your situation that I would like to have a manual 'stick' to move the camera about - I have a Manfrotto - not this one but like this one - I think it is supposed to be mainly used for video, but it is really handy for portraiture - the locking on it is tight enough to "hold" but loose enough to move to a new position - the 'arm' feature means that not very much force is required to move it (moments of turning and all that science stuff).

Laptop underneath the camera.

WW

ADDENDUM: I was thinking something using that Video P&T Head as how Wm posted the image below and with the laptop on a try underneath at "table height".
    Last edited by William W; 21st November 2016 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Added ADDENDUM - ref Wm post below

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Consider delving into micro-photography/studio work...when you want to get out and about,
    consider using this type of set-up. Electric scooter with handlebar mounted gear.

Help with ideas for photography without much hand movement

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

That probably depends on the software. As an example, I use the CamFi device that creates a WiFi network, allowing me to be wirelessly tethered. Its software has what they call a manual focus. However, it is so crude that it doesn't have any where near the manual control of the manual focus allowed by the camera itself. The result is that I set the focus in the camera itself (this is for tabletop photography). My point is that you should check out the practicality of the manual focus before assuming that it will meet your needs.

The CamFi software certainly does everything else you asked about and I doubt it's the only software that does so. As an example, it controls the shooting mode (aperture priority, shutter priority and the like) the aperture, the ISO, the white balance, etc. However, if the camera is set, as an example, to Manual metering and I use the CamFi to change it to Aperture Priority, after I take the first shot the software automatically reverts back to the manual mode the camera is set to. So, as above, check out all of the details that are important to you.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 21st November 2016 at 01:39 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It is difficult to give you specific advice regarding assistive devices without some more understanding of your disabilities and how they affect your ability to handle photographic equipment. When you write you have trouble moving your hands and arms, does this mean you have issues with large movements or does this impact your fine motor controls as well? Do you have issues gripping devices or is it more related to hitting small targets like the shutter release? Do you have a range where you can operate your hands and arms or is your movement restriction more general? Do you have strength issues, as well as movement issues.

Let me give you some examples. If you have issues with fine motor controls and gripping something like a tripod head, something like a 3-axis head with a built up grip might work better that a ball head. If you are worried about dropping the camera, a video fluid head like the one Bill suggested in #5 might be a solution. If you have issues with fine control, but have no issue with strength, a geared head might be more appropriate. https://www.manfrotto.us/junior-geared-head

The light stand you are considering would not be an appropriate solution as these devices are not particularly steady and are designed for mounting photographic lighting equipment, where a bit of movement is not going to impact the shot.

One area you should research is the types of rigs used by videographers who shoot with DSLRs. Some of the attachments and rigs may be worth looking at, as this type of photography tends to get into more ways of supporting a camera than we commonly find in still photography. but be prepared for a bit of "sticker shock", as some of these fittings are not cheap.

If you are mobility impaired, be very careful when looking at shooting tethered. The wires are tripping hazards for those of us that don't have mobility issues. Mike's comment on radio frequency tethering might be a smarter approach for your needs. I know that CamRanger has packages that control cameras and a motorized tilt / pan head. These can be controlled from a laptop or from an Android or iPad tablet (or phone). http://camranger.com/camranger-pan-tilt/

Real Name
    James Edwards

Andy, you could try contacting "The Disabled Photographers’ Society". It is a registered charity that helps make photography accessible to those with disabilities.

http://www.the-dps.co.uk/

Real Name
    mark

Re: Help with ideas for photography without much hand movement

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Andy, you could try contacting "The Disabled Photographers’ Society". It is a registered charity that helps make photography accessible to those with disabilities.

Now that is really cool!

Real Name
    Brian

Hi guys, long time no post

I have a disability that makes it hard for me to move my hands and arms, and have been trying to think of ways to make things easier for me.
    My sister recently got a Nikon D810 and i found the controls on it a little hard to use, so i've been coming up with solutions. I mainly shoot indoors, nothing fast like sports.

any other ideas would be really appreciate
    Hi, there are lots of creative people offering superb suggestions. Allow me to offer encouragement. I have M.S. and take (on occasion ) a pretty good shot. My secret is a simple one. I find ways to work around my limitations and concentrate on what I can do.

Case in point. I'm typing one fingered using an onscreen keyboard.

The solutions are there for you
    Last edited by JBW; 22nd November 2016 at 01:44 AM.

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    It is difficult to give you specific advice regarding assistive devices without some more understanding of your disabilities and how they affect your ability to handle photographic equipment. When you write you have trouble moving your hands and arms, does this mean you have issues with large movements or does this impact your fine motor controls as well? Do you have issues gripping devices or is it more related to hitting small targets like the shutter release? Do you have a range where you can operate your hands and arms or is your movement restriction more general? Do you have strength issues, as well as movement issues.
    Let me give you some examples. If you have issues with fine motor controls and gripping something like a tripod head, something like a 3-axis head with a built up grip might work better that a ball head. If you are worried about dropping the camera, a video fluid head like the one Bill suggested in #5 might be a solution. If you have issues with fine control, but have no issue with strength, a geared head might be more appropriate. https://www.manfrotto.us/junior-geared-head

The light stand you are considering would not be an appropriate solution as these devices are not particularly steady and are designed for mounting photographic lighting equipment, where a bit of movement is not going to impact the shot.

One area you should research is the types of rigs used by videographers who shoot with DSLRs. Some of the attachments and rigs may be worth looking at, as this type of photography tends to get into more ways of supporting a camera than we commonly find in still photography. but be prepared for a bit of "sticker shock", as some of these fittings are not cheap.

If you are mobility impaired, be very careful when looking at shooting tethered. The wires are tripping hazards for those of us that don't have mobility issues. Mike's comment on radio frequency tethering might be a smarter approach for your needs. I know that CamRanger has packages that control cameras and a motorized tilt / pan head. These can be controlled from a laptop or from an Android or iPad tablet (or phone). http://camranger.com/camranger-pan-tilt/
    My fine motor control is ok, so i can type reasonably,and use a touchpad. I can't lift my elbows off of my arm rest, and i find it hard to lift my hands up to about the height of my chin. I have very limited strength, but i can depress the shutter button on my 60d, although it gets tiring after a few shots- my sisters d810 is more difficult. The issue i have with a tripod head, is that i would still find altering the controls like iso, etc difficult. Currently I have a bar across my lap with a ballhead on which means i can hold the camera safely without dropping it, (ill get a pic later) But then i struggle with controls and actually positioning the camera.

if i were using a laptop to control settings and to shoot, i wouldn't have the strength to move my arms from the laptop to the camera. as i would have the laptop on a stand on my lap.

James G

I became a member of the DPS today, so thank you for telling me!

if i were using a laptop to control settings and to shoot, i wouldn't have the strength to move my arms from the laptop to the camera. as i would have the laptop on a stand on my lap.
    I wonder if using an app on a cell phone or using a tablet instead of a laptop would make the process easier for you. I'm thinking that mounting them nearer your camera rather than holding a device on your lap would be more effective. Just guessing.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I wonder if using an app on a cell phone or using a tablet instead of a laptop would make the process easier for you. I'm thinking that mounting them nearer your camera rather than holding a device on your lap would be more effective. Just guessing.
    If your intending to use your sisters D810, this will be of no help to you but further to Mike's input, if you intent to buy your own camera, using a free Fuji App, the Fuji X series can be fully controlled from a smart phone or tablet via blue tooth (i.e. no wire to get in the way). That includes touch screen focusing. I have used it a number of times, generally for family groups where I want to be included. (I am usually the idiot at the back looking at his mobile. )

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    If your intending to use your sisters D810, this will be of no help to you but further to Mike's input, if you intent to buy your own camera, using a free Fuji App, the Fuji X series can be fully controlled from a smart phone or tablet via blue tooth (i.e. no wire to get in the way). That includes touch screen focusing. I have used it a number of times, generally for family groups where I want to be included. (I am usually the idiot at the back looking at his mobile. )
    Panasonic mFT cameras have this functionality too.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the feedback, Andy. I've done some work (on a professional basis) in dealing with accessibility, so I understand that there is no simple answer and any solution will have certain tradeoffs. You have a more severe disability than other wheelchair users I have worked with (those primarily had lower body injuries, so arm / shoulder / hand movement were not an issue or stroke victims that had mobility issues, but only on one side of their body).

I agree with Mike and John that a tablet might be a better solution than a laptop.

I shoot with a CamRanger using a D800 and control it from my iPad. The CamRanger can control the Bescor pan / tilt head that you note in your first post, as well as controlling the camera and that includes pretty well any major camera function including focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. I don't use a the pan / tilt head in my work, so can't comment on how well that works. The one major limitation that I see for you is that there is no ability to zoom in or out, so that is something that will still have to be performed manually.

Unlike tethered shooting (something I also do), the other main limitation of the WiFi systems is that the optimal way to shoot with them is to have the small jpeg files transfer to the tablet, while the larger raw files are written to the camera's memory. If you want larger, high quality files to be transferred wirelessly, especially with a 36MP camera like the D810, this will slow down your shooting and fill up the tablet's memory quite quickly.

The only issue I have with CamRanger is that they support Apple and Android hardware quite well (as a controller), but their Microsoft support was not as strong, so I'm not sure how well a Surface tablet would work.

I can confirm that the CamFi unit also does not control the zoom of a lens.

As for support of hardware and operating systems, I can only mention that it works fine using a laptop with Windows 10. It supports other hardware and operating systems but I have only used it with the laptop.