Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fuji x-s1: flash autofocus assist lamp in external flashes

Real Name
    Enrico Engelmann

Fuji x-s1: flash autofocus assist lamp in external flashes

My (for me) new x-s1 seems to be a very powerful camera. But the autofocus assist lamp seems to be a little be less efficient than the one in the camera it should replace (Fuji s100fs). The reason is mainly its position, because of that often the lens barrel interrupts part of the beam.

Today I tried two flash lights (Fuji EF-42 and Metz 44 AF-2 Digital). In both cases the autofocus assist lamp of the flash (the only reason for buying a new flash) didn't switch on when pressing the shutter button.

Does anyone know a flash which has an autofocus assist lamp working correctly with the Fuji x-s1?

The Metz 44 AF-2 Digital has a led light intended for videos which can be turned on permanently and with selectable brightness. Do you think such a light could be an alternative or it would be to disturbing?

Thank you in advance!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Fuji x-s1: flash autofocus assist lamp in external flashes

May not be relevant to your issue Enrico, but ...

On my Nikon; the external AF assist (on my Godox flash) only works if the shooting mode is 'single shot', not in 'continuous'.

Something to check?

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Fuji x-s1: flash autofocus assist lamp in external flashes

I see it has been answered on dpreview - but for members here the AF assist lamps on flash guns are for Phase Detect AF systems not the Contrast Detect system in this type of camera.