Thread: Back to Basics

Real Name
    Robin

Back to Basics

I have decided to get back to basics so went looking through my bags for an exposure meter which I knew I had somewhere......

......none of your newfangled electrickery wot-nots for me - nope I'm going old school with an extinction meter

Back to Basics

Back to Basics

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Back to Basics

I had never seen one of these. Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Richard

I used one a long-long time ago. I tended to do better with the Rule of Sunny 16 than with the extinction meter. But, that was just user error. I didn't do well at all in low light levels with this type of meter

Real Name
    roy

Iv'e got one of those as well but mines got a red case
    Last edited by Rent; 14th November 2016 at 06:22 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I used one a long-long time ago. I tended to do better with the Rule of Sunny 16 than with the extinction meter. But, that was just user error. I didn't do well at all in low light levels with this type of meter
    Sticking a licked finger in the air and testing the wind is probably just as accurate as this but its a nice piece of history to have and I think I did use it years back as a fun experiment.

Real Name
    John

Interesting. Is this a variation on the grease spot photometer. I briefly used one of those to measure exposure under the enlarger (I didn't buy it new you understand ).

Real Name
    Simon

I have also stepped back in time, changed my technological approach and defected for good measure. I picked this up on eBay earlier, mainly for the lens, but I've ordered some 400ASA b&w film to have a go at the authentic experience rather than just using adapted glass:

Back to Basics

It's a zorki-4, a soviet made Leica wannabe with a L39 mount from 1972. It looks a hell of a lot of fun to boot - it's actually more modern than the camera I started with but I haven't shot film since I had my dad's help as a boy, so im expecting some interesting times. Chimping will be problematic...

Real Name
    roy

Simon It's actually a copy of the Contax It has a longer range finder than the Leica and thus was more accurate also a lot of the parts were interchangeable with the Contax A lot of them were snatched up for Contax repair I believe the original Contax factory ( Zeiss Ikon ) ended up in Eastern Germany and the Russians took advantage of it The lens was superb for its age
    Last edited by Rent; 15th November 2016 at 11:05 PM.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Rent View Post
    Simon It's actually a copy of the Contax It has a longer range finder than the Leica and thus was more accurate also a lot of the parts were interchangeable with the Contax A lot of them were snatched up for Contax repair I believe the original Contax factory ( Zeiss Ikon ) ended up in Eastern Germany and the Russians took advantage of it The lens was superb for its age
    Hi Roy,

That's not correct. The Kiev was the model, identical tae the Contax...

Back to Basics

At the end of WWll, the Allies gave away all the patents in Germany, amazingly one of the major beneficiaries of this largesse was their defeated former enemy - Japan! The Russians seized the entire contents of the Zeiss factory as reparations. If ye ever see a very early Kiev...1947-49; on opening it ye'll probably find Contax parts (and Zeiss lenses) inside. The Kiev camera was no knock-off, poor quality Japanese copy, (as many Japanese cameras were then). The Zeiss technical director said that the Kiev was as good and as well made as the original Contax.

The FED 2 ...

Back to Basics

The FED was derived from the Leica. It had a much longer rangefinder base, more faster and slower shutter speeds, a dioptre adjuster, removable back, flash syncro. All items which took Leica (and others) years tae catch up to. This led many folk tae begin tae believe the story the Russians told, that the Leica was a result of industrial espionage on the Germans part, in the period after the first WW.

The FED factory was very badly damaged during the war but the KMZ factory, which produced the Zorki was untouched . The Russians decided that they would concentrate selling the FED on the domestic market and promote the Zorki as an export model. The Zorki was also the basis for the first Russian SLR, the ZENIT, then ZENIT C (have a look at a Zorki 3). They simply added the mirror box and extended the front tae accomodate the required area for the reflex assembly.Meanwhile Leica was sticking bulky attachments on the Leica ll.

My ZENIT C, the Cyrillic C is S in Latin script - the C is for syncro

Back to Basics

Real Name
    Simon

Really interesting stuff - thanks Boab. Your Zenith is a thing of beauty - must resist looking on ebay for one!

Real Name
    Dave

Fascinating Robin, I have not seen one of those before.

It reminded me when I had my first camera, a Halina35X, all of the exposures were set by using the data sheet that came with films and I had a surprising number of successful shots; or is this just my failing memory?

Good to see shots of older cameras too.

Dave

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    Fascinating Robin, I have not seen one of those before.

It reminded me when I had my first camera, a Halina35X, all of the exposures were set by using the data sheet that came with films and I had a surprising number of successful shots; or is this just my failing memory?

Good to see shots of older cameras too.

Dave
    Negative film is fairly tolerant to exposure inaccuracies so a stop to two either way still produces a usable print as the process of getting an image from film to paper gives you scope to correct things.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

My goodness me! You are showing your age in public...!!!

Real Name
    roy

Boab I bow to your superior knowledge. I used to be friendly with a chap who repaired cameras and based my comments on what I remember ( or not ) from then, albeit a long time ago. They were very good cameras though
    Roy