Thread: Photography enquiry

Photography enquiry

Your original question:
    "Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III and Nikon 200 - 500 along with d7100 compatible and how far it can be used for wildlife and bird and bird in flight photography?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Photography enquiry

Quote Originally Posted by induishan2012 View Post
    Your original question:
    "Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III and Nikon 200 - 500 along with d7100 compatible
    Quote Originally Posted by induishan2012 View Post
    and how far it can be used for wildlife and bird and bird in flight photography?
    If you are referring to 'distance'?

It will depend upon the size of your subjects, your distance from your subjects and the amount of the frame you wish to fill with your subject.

Real Name
    Dem

For example, the 500 mm + 1.4x teleconverter (that's 700 mm) on a crop body will fill the frame with an A4 sheet of paper 9 meters away from the camera:

http://www.scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html

Now, if you want A5 field of view (half of A4), that's 9/2 = 4.5 meters focus distance with this combo.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by dem View Post
    For example, the 500 mm + 1.4x teleconverter (that's 700 mm) on a crop body will fill the frame with an A4 sheet of paper 9 meters away from the camera:
    For example if you are 9mtrs away, then the Framing in the Viewfinder will look like this:

Photography enquiry

The bird measures approximately 260mm from Head to Tail.

WW

Image © AJ Group Pty Ltd Aust 1996~2016 WMW 1965~1996
    Last edited by William W; 14th November 2016 at 01:44 PM.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

You will have far more problems with camera shake and vibration with this combo than any other problem regarding focus and framing. AF performance will also be reduced considerably. Ditch the TC and get closer.

Real Name
    John

However, if you are set on having a teleconverter, check for compatibility on the Nikon site. Nikon teleconverters are not compatible with all Nikon lenses.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    However, if you are set on having a teleconverter, check for compatibility on the Nikon site. Nikon teleconverters are not compatible with all Nikon lenses.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and...onverters.html
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/A...omp_chart.html

George

Real Name
    Grahame

I'm really not sure how accurate the compatibility with respect to Auto-focus function is on this data George, but it does say it's compatible with the D7100 and 200-500mm.

It does not list the old D300 but I find the AF works well (best on centre point) with my TC-14E III and 80-400mm combination.

What I have found out is that AF in 3D mode on the D800 does not function although not something I need.

Another interesting observation the other day was that with the D800/TC/80-400 an outer focus point would not focus on the superb target of three cricket stumps but would on white cricket pads

I have found the TC-14E III an excellent bit of kit (once AF tuned) when used at max FL on the 80-400 with no concerns regarding camera shake or vibration with fully acceptable AF performance both handheld and on a monopod for when you can't get closer.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    I'm really not sure how accurate the compatibility with respect to Auto-focus function is on this data George, but it does say it's compatible with the D7100 and 200-500mm.

It does not list the old D300 but I find the AF works well (best on centre point) with my TC-14E III and 80-400mm combination.

What I have found out is that AF in 3D mode on the D800 does not function although not something I need.

Another interesting observation the other day was that with the D800/TC/80-400 an outer focus point would not focus on the superb target of three cricket stumps but would on white cricket pads

I have found the TC-14E III an excellent bit of kit (once AF tuned) when used at max FL on the 80-400 with no concerns regarding camera shake or vibration with fully acceptable AF performance both handheld and on a monopod for when you can't get closer.

I think Nikon means a guaranteed working of the autofocus. What I learned from those sides is that Nikon guarantees a well working autofocus when the aperture is maximal f5.6, and the newer cameras with f8. I've the 80-200 2.8 af-s, no limitations with the tc-14eii but not compatible with the tc-14eiii. I can't figure out why.

George