Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips and tricks for Avoiding contamination when changing lenses

Real Name
    Jim

Tips and tricks for Avoiding contamination when changing lenses

Hi all

Novice question I guess but thought I'd ask any way, my old mirrorless camera ended up with dirt on the lense I thought I could have avoided as a result of changing lenses in the wrong environment. This made me think to ask what tips or tricks you guys use to avoid getting your sensors dirty when changing lenses.

looking for what you do as a best practice as I want to learn from my mistake and I don't want to make the same mistake with my A7

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Tips and tricks for Avoiding contamination when changing lenses

If I must change my lens outdoors, which happens regularly, I position my back to the wind and hold the camera body and lens as close to my stomach as possible. One theory is that it is also helpful to hold the camera body downward as much as possible but I think that's more theoretical than practical.

I always change my lenses with the camera 'off' too.
    I've read that that keeps the sensor from being charged and thus attracting dust/dirt particles.
    I could be wrong, but it seems to be working for me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    I've read that that keeps the sensor from being charged and thus attracting dust/dirt particles.
    I could be wrong, but it seems to be working for me.
    I do what both Mike and Alan have said.

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I do what both Mike and Alan have said.
    Thé same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    I also do that but not because of anything having to do with the sensor attracting particles. Not being an electrician, I always assumed that removing a lens when the camera is on could cause a malfunction in the electronics.

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I need to be more careful in future, some areas when indoors, home or elsewhere seem to have particles in the air (which you can see when light hits them a bit like typical household dust if that makes sense) and I guess it is a case of being sensible and avoiding these situations, locations. Outdoors makes sense but if you protect the camera as stated above it would be cleaner air.

Real Name
    Richard

I most often carry two cameras when I am out shooting so I don't usually need to switch lenses outdoors. I simply switch cameras.

It is an expensive solution and one that is fairly heavy to carry but, it works. However, when I carry a pair of 7D cameras (which I purchased as refurbished) along with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS; the kit weighs about the same and costs about the same as a single 7D camera with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lenses.

Additionally, I never miss a shot because of the wrong lens being on the camera...

The Self-Clean cycle on my Canon DSLR cameras also seems to help.

Also, I never store or carry a camera without either a lens or a body cap on it...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'm another that does both things mentioned above, completing the operation as quickly as possible.

Also; I don't leave lenses lying around without a rear lens cap, to avoid collecting dust on their rear element - which would then be transferred to the camera.
    Same, possibly more so, for extension tubes, if you do macro - keep them in a plastic bag, not a cardboard box, which may well shed fibres.

Real Name
    John

Use a bag, might look strange but so what.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    . . . I position my back to the wind and hold the camera body and lens as close to my stomach as possible. One theory is that it is also helpful to hold the camera body downward as much as possible but I think that's more theoretical than practical.
    We (our Studio) went through a period of time when the 'trend' for the Wedding Location Portraiture was at a beach . . .

Sand, inside the guts of a camera is probably the worst enemy we could have. For changing lenses, I use exactly the same method as Mike has described.

I do also hold the camera body downward, not sure about the correctness or incorrectness of the theory/practice for dust, but it does seem a logical procedure for heavier particles, like sand.

In really windy conditions I drop down on one knee and curl my back, building a shelter for the camera.

I like the theory about static attraction being the reason for turning the DSLR to "off" when changing lenses, but I don't. That doesn't mean I am recommending you don't, but rather just saying I don't: the only time I turn off my DSLR's is when I insert or remove a card. I use Canon DSLR's.

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    . . . I don't leave lenses lying around without a rear lens cap, to avoid collecting dust on their rear element - which would then be transferred to the camera. etc . . .
    Just as a BTW . . . I think this is so important considering DIGITAL media: with film if a spec of dust dropped onto the film it was one dust spec on one neg and likely it got rolled up in the film and was shed in the processing - it was common place (for quiet a few photographers) not to use rear lens caps, ever.

With Digital, the dust bunny stick to the sensor and that's it - endlessly a spot in the same position on each image file . . . and while the sensor cleaning cameras are good, but not always do they remove the big bunnies.

WW

Agreed with Dave and William in that I also always keep front and rear lens caps on my lenses when not in use. In fact, I bought used push-on caps (because they're no longer being made as far as I can tell for my Nikon lenses) because it's faster for me to put them on and take them off than using the screw-on caps.

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks again guys.

So... The worst happens... Do you attempt to clean the sensor yourself with a decent cleaning kit or trust a shop to do it for you.. Reason I ask is shops seem few and far between round near me, any recommendations where to go or kits that "work" for DIY cleans?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Thanks again guys.

So... The worst happens... Do you attempt to clean the sensor yourself with a decent cleaning kit or trust a shop to do it for you.. Reason I ask is shops seem few and far between round near me, any recommendations where to go or kits that "work" for DIY cleans?
    Find the source of the contamination, if it is easily reached you can do it yourself. I always check my lens, front and back, then check the interior of the camera; don't want to disturb any moving parts. If a surface cleaning cannot alleviate the problem then consider sending the camera in.

Real Name
    Robin

While I do typically turn the camera off I rarely bother to hold it mount down, I change lenses anywhere and everywhere, I tend not to keep caps on them when they're in my bag, wind doesn't stop me, rain doesn't stop me and I live on the coast so I'm down the beach half a dozen times a day.

If and when I get dust on the sensor I clean it off and continue to get on with using my camera not worrying about it in the slightest.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I do the same as Richard's and Dave. I have two cameras and typically swap between them. Now I will have three that will include my phone camera. I usually plan my shooting outdoors so I do not have to swap lenses.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

FWIW, I don't change my lenses once I leave the house...prefer to shoot numerous images and merge them.
    Lens of choice is a Canon 180 macro.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Thanks again guys.

I do my own cleaning, Jim.

I use an Arctic Butterfly. If that doesn't move it all I then have sensor-size specific swabs (which are one of photography's rip-offs in terms of price, so far as I'm concerned) and fluid. I have a full frame and a crop sensor, so need to have two sizes of swabs in the bag.

I am amazed that after my recent trip to Yosemite and the High Sierra, my sensors seem clean. I was changing lenses in all sorts of windy and dusty conditions and was sure they would need a good clean. I must have followed my own rules about being careful when changing lenses.

EDIT - Should add that the first time you do it is a terrifying experience. You're so nervous. But after that it's no problem.

Real Name
    Jim

I only have a kit lense and 55mm zeiss 1.8 prime at the moment but am in the market for a macro and will want add a telephoto at some point.

I have avoided using the kit lense and am using the zeiss, which is forcing me to think a lot about composition to avoid cropping, it's been a good excercise to be fair I have made it a challenge. One I have yet to fully crack!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast