Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Doh! Silly camera mistakes

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Doh! Silly camera mistakes

Time for a bit of fun ...

In another thread several of us posted a few words regarding some silly mistakes we've made in the past (I call them "Doh!" moments, in honour of Homer Simpson) - so I thought "let's make a thread out of them". I'll chip in a few when I get back ... but in the meantime, who'd like to go first (I reckon I could match you all one-for-one!).

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Doh!

Colin wants us to do what?

This takes me back to my days as a student Radiographer when we did silly things like open the dark room door at the wrong time & someone inside exposed a box of film...we then used to hide it and smuggle it out of the dept' before anyone saw

So I guess this is the digital equivalent.........just let me have a look in my trash can/s for some more

I remember sneaking my camera into an art exhibit I wasn't allowed to take photos of, morally cool with it as they were for my own personal collection. I metered it and set everything perfect and had someone with me to help and got every single canvas in between security walking past the exhibit room doors. All was fine until I got outside and decided to use up the rest of my film and drop it in for processing with a few others as was eagre to get it back and when I went to change the film (my old slr sorry not my digi p&s) I pressed the release and began to wind fast as per usual BUT didn't quite press it fully and thought "hmmm it's a little bit stiffer than usual" and before could think of the obvious the horrid snap sound happened and I realised with horror I'd not pressed the button hard enough.

Then the dilema between opening there and then in daylight to see if it had partially wound most as being half pressed it could have partially wound I thought if lock unengaged but slipped back. If it was all out it would be trashed yet if I saved it then I couldn't use my camera that day and I had tons of film on me, lenses etc but only 1 body and a lot of places to visit. I opened it in the end and dirty great tear indicated would have lost a lot of exposures anyway even if tried saving some. Needless to say I learned to make sure I really pressed in future.

I went back next day but security didn't leave the room much and only got 2 shots which were rushed Temporary exhibit too so didn't get op to get again and been gutted ever since hehehe.

Real Name
    Kay

Back from the Bin - I have found a couple that show silly mistakes.
    In the first one, we had been in the indoor arena for some time, then I said come on team lets pop outside for a group shot with your ribbons.......silly me left the 1600 ISO from indoors still set

and then below - I had a wide aperture to blur out the usual flotsam of cars/floats people eating hotdogs that we get in the background of these competitions, when shooting my wee friend going around. Then forgot to switch it when I moved closer to her afterward and hey presto 'sharp horse & unsharp rider'

OK. This was me in the 1984 (I think) Man v Horse (MVH) race in Mid-Wales, where horses/riders race against runners over about 25 miles of mountain terrain. Not the best event for me as I have a deep fear of things (cars/people/animals) coming up behind me. At one point I turned up a steep track through a forest fire break and settled down for a longish climb. I'd no sooner started when a horse and rider could be heard behind me! No room really to move aside so I put on an extra spurt. I caught a glimpse of a huge hunter horse ridden by a teenage girl. I was determined that they would'nt catch me. My lungs were busting, and I felt sick, but I kept going. Got to the top and into a bit of a clearing and I just had to stop. Bent over double, hands on knees and gulping in lungfuls of air the girl and horse caught me up and stopped briefly. I said to her "Managed to beat you on that one, love" She looked at me strangely then said "Oh, you are in that race, are you.... I'm not, I'm just out for a ride. I thought you'd taken a wrong turning when I saw two other guys go straight on after you turned right back there." She kicked with her spurs and they were gone. I'll swear she was wearing make-up.

Here's another from the same event (but not of me). I think the horse is saying "I'll catch up with you later, sonny boy, when I've finished with this vet!"