Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How to get Cokin filters?

Real Name
    Jeroen

How to get Cokin filters?

Finally I've bought the Canon 17-40 f/4.0 (truly astonishing how the world changes when using that lens instead of my all round Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 for landscapes).
    Now I'm looking for a ND filter for this lens (preferable about 8 stops). Since I have a polarizer on the front element I want to use the gelatin filter holder on the back for this ND filter. After some searching on the web Cokin looks like the right (and only?) choice for a ND gelatin filter, though I have no clue how to get one. Al the web shops I've searched don't have it in stock. Local photography equipment stores don't have it either and don't know how to get them.

Does anybody know a way how to get these Cokin filters?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeroen

Real Name
    Steve

Re: How to get Cokin filters?

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    Finally I've bought the Canon 17-40 f/4.0 (truly astonishing how the world changes when using that lens instead of my all round Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 for landscapes).
    Now I'm looking for a ND filter for this lens (preferable about 8 stops). Since I have a polarizer on the front element I want to use the gelatin filter holder on the back for this ND filter. After some searching on the web Cokin looks like the right (and only?) choice for a ND gelatin filter, though I have no clue how to get one. Al the web shops I've searched don't have it in stock. Local photography equipment stores don't have it either and don't know how to get them.

Does anybody know a way how to get these Cokin filters?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeroen
    Jeroen, i buy all my gear from B&H Photo. They are in New York. I believe they ship world wide. Great place to deal with and i've never had a problem with them.

Real Name
    Tim

You can find lots of Cokin stuff on Ebay

Real Name
    Hans

Hi Jeroen,

If I understand your question correctly you want to place the ND Filter on the back of the lens, so the part that is inside the body?
    Why not looking for the more easy way and get a set to mount on the front of the lens?
    Have a look at this for Lee filters and holders. I got my ND filters from there.
    This stuff is indeed very difficult to find in the Netherlands and Europe.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Thanks for the tip Hans.
    I would like to place the nd filter on the back because I'll probably will be using a polarizer on the front the prevent from vignetting. Though the more I think about it the more I tend to go for a round ND filter for on the front element since you can get much higher quality filters for this (I'm thinking about buying a B+W filter) without a lot of colour cast. And about the vignetting and don't think that would be a problem for now since I use the 17-40 L (full frame compatible) on a Canon EOS 400d.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Why don't you just use a Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo on the front? 2 to 8 stops, continuously adjustable, plus CP.

Real Name
    Jeroen

I think this Vari -N- Duo is a bit too expensive for me. Especially since I already have a rather expensive polarizer for the 17-40mm L (B+W 77m slim polarizer).

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    I think this Vari -N- Duo is a bit too expensive for me. Especially since I already have a rather expensive polarizer for the 17-40mm L (B+W 77m slim polarizer).
    Perhaps selling the "rather expensive polariser" and upgrating to the Vari-n-duo might be an option? Seriously, it's an awesome product. I have it's sibling the Vari-ND (in both 77mm and 82mm versions), and it just oozes quality; keeping in mind too that in essence you get a 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 stop ND filters, plus CP - all with no colour shifts. I use my Vari-ND all the time for long-exposure landscape work - it's an amazing product.

Real Name
    Hans

Hi Jeroen.
    Just an idea:
    Lately I have seen someone using so called welding protection Glass. In dutch it's called lasbrillen glas. Available in lost of "do it yourself" shops.

It's not expensive and has a very high density. However for sure there will be some colourcast. But it's easy to use in a Lee or Cokin filter holder.

Real Name
    Gaston

Hi Jeroen,

I usually buy stuff at these two places [1,2]. They both have stores in Amsterdam and also ship within the netherlands.

[1] http://www.camex.nl
    [2] http://www.fotobooms.nl/cat/0/399/40...n-filters.html

hope it helps in the future.

cheers,

Real Name
    Yi

You may experienced the issue of Cokin filter like me

Cokin ND filter usage

If you put two filters the image will look redish.