Thread: Surface studio: A very different computer for editing?

Real Name
    Dan

Surface studio: A very different computer for editing?

Check this out. You have to watch a bit of useless stuff before the video shows what the computer can do. there is a link on the page to some technical specs.

I will wait to see some reviews after it is released in December, but it certainly looks very appealling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Surface studio: A very different computer for editing?

That does look pretty interesting. Editing photos by "painting" directly on the screen would be pretty cool. Well... seemingly at least.

Real Name
    Robin

The thought of staring through a million grubby finger prints at all my photographs is something from a nightmare.

Computer screens should not be touchy-feely, there simply isn't a need and if the OS is well designed there shouldn't be a need.
    A tablet that can't fit on your knee and needs a desk is a daft idea.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    That does look pretty interesting. Editing photos by "painting" directly on the screen would be pretty cool. Well... seemingly at least.
    Wacom's had that functionality for years with its Cintiq and handles pen tilt as an input. Cintiq (just the screen) is around the same price as the Surface Studio, but you need a computer to go with it, so this MS package will cost less.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Wacom's had that functionality for years with its Cintiq and handles pen tilt as an input. Cintiq (just the screen) is around the same price as the Surface Studio, but you need a computer to go with it, so this MS package will cost less.
    Interesting. I hadn't known that. I just looked up the Cintique 27" with touch capabilities. It is $2799 at B&H, almost the base price of the Surface computer package. The surface has a slightly larger and considerably higher-res screen, 4500 x 3000 vs. 2560 x 1440. The surface can switch between color profiles on the fly. I don't know whether the Wacom can. And the surface has the puck, which looks intriguing. Of course, there is no way to know yet how the surface will perform. We'll have to wait a few months to see some impartial, hands-on reviews.