Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waterfall Jumpers

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Waterfall Jumpers

These shots were taken this past August. The first two are HDR (Photomatix) shots of the Middle Falls on the McCloud River in northern California. I have posted other shots of this waterfall. While I was taking these pictures I saw a father and his two sons on the cliff face next to the waterfall so I positioned myself to capture them if they jumped. They jumped separately but I put them into a single image for convenience and dramatic effect. For the record, I'm not inclined to take that jump.

Chuck

#1 Middle Falls on the McCloud
    Waterfall Jumpers

#2 Middle Falls on the McCloud
    Waterfall Jumpers

#3 The Jumpers
    Waterfall Jumpers

Real Name
    Kori

Re: Waterfall Jumpers

Very nice shots! I like the 'dramatic' effect of all of them jumping! I have to say #1 is my favorite!

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks Batman, me too. Give my best to Robin.

Chuck

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

You're the master of compositing Chuck (and I mean that most sincerely).

Which shot were the jumpers in though? (I think I missed them when I couldn't draw my eyes away from the Chuck Nelson photography that vandalised all three images unfortunately (in my mind anyway)

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    You're the master of compositing Chuck (and I mean that most sincerely).

Which shot were the jumpers in though? (I think I missed them when I couldn't draw my eyes away from the Chuck Nelson photography that vandalised all three images unfortunately (in my mind anyway)
    Did you say composting?

I apologize for the logo....I put it back in when the slideshow feature on my website went to full screen....a full screen screen print provides a usable image and my logo is an attempt to protect my images from the less clever folk who might try to pirate them. I keep it in the corner and fade it but I feel it serves a purpose.

Chuck

Real Name
    Kori

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Thanks Batman, me too. Give my best to Robin.

Chuck
    You have me and my husband laughing so hard! I don't know you but I like you already!
    Batman is my husband's nickname from back in highschool - and the "44" is his number on his Late model race car. I had a few nicknames - but seem to like his better! I should probably change it up a bit to reveal a bit more of me.... I'm "Batgirl" actually!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Did you say composting?
    No - compositing Seriously, I think you're really good at blending elements together, including levels. I wish I was that good at it!

I apologize for the logo....I put it back in when the slideshow feature on my website went to full screen....a full screen screen print provides a usable image and my logo is an attempt to protect my images from the less clever folk who might try to pirate them. I keep it in the corner and fade it but I feel it serves a purpose.
    I know it's an old debate - and I know I probably sound like a broken record when it comes to my position on it I do wonder if people realize just how much some people are distracted by them though. In my eyes it's like having a beautiful mural painted on the side of a wall to which a tagger adds a bit of graffiti in the corner - or perhaps a brand new car, complete with brand new paint, that's been "keyed" along the side; in terms of actual surface area the damage is small, but it none-the-less completely ruins the art / car, just like copyright notices on images.

With regards to my work - which is very much for sale - I had to wrap my mind around the difference between someone having a copy in their possesion that they didn't pay for (whom I would never have got money out of for the image regardless because they would never have bought it) -v- situations where actual $$$ that would have been in my pocket were removed from my pocket because someone used a stolen copy of my image. To my knowledge, the former has happened on occasions, but the latter hasn't (and even if it did - and I became aware of it - then I could take remedial action if I so chose).

What my brain actually "registers" is something like this ...

Waterfall Jumpers

Real Name
    John

Very nice capture of the jumpers and the water fall.

Real Name
    Peter

Very nice work Chuck. Great location.