Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Is there a way to view camera settings on your computer

Real Name
    John

Is there a way to view camera settings on your computer

Hello all,

I will be buying a Rebel T2i. I want to know if there is a way I can view my camera's settings on a program such as photoshop or aperture (or ever better, iphoto).

This would be a good way for me to compare and contrast different settings and their end result. I have done several google searches for this but have not found any info.

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Is there a way to view camera settings on your computer

All that information is stored in something called EXIF data. Just about any decent program will be able to read it.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
    All that information is stored in something called EXIF data. Just about any decent program will be able to read it.
    Nice. I was hoping that information would be in the metadata.

I have a copy of photoshop CS4. Would this be a good program to touch up RAW photos taken with the Rebel T2i?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondocksaint View Post
    I have a copy of photoshop CS4. Would this be a good program to touch up RAW photos taken with the Rebel T2i?
    Photoshop is a good program to retouch photos from ANY camera. CS4 isn't quite the latest version, but perfectly adequate.

Just curious - why are you choosing the T2i?

PS: Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us! By the way, do you have a first name we can call you by?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Photoshop is a good program to retouch photos from ANY camera. CS4 isn't quite the latest version, but perfectly adequate.

Just curious - why are you choosing the T2i?

PS: Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us! By the way, do you have a first name we can call you by?
    Yes my name is John. Sorry "Boondocksaint" has been my default message board name for years.

I know CS4 isn't the newest version, but I bought my macbook pro used and it came installed with CS4.

The reason I am choosing the T2i is mainly for its video capabilities. Making videos is my hobby. Here is an example:

I own a hv40 now, which is a great camera but I want the shallow depth of focus that the DSLR's have, plus the low light capabilities.

I figured since I will be buying a DSLR, I might as well jump into photography as a second hobby. I am currently an extremely overpaid English teacher in Japan right now and I have lots of time on my hands. This explains my enthusiasm / newbness.

I have bought a couple of books on digital photography on my kindle and have been studying as much as I can.

As luck would have it, the T2i is about 200 bucks cheaper here in Japan. I plan on buying mine in about 3 weeks.

Real Name

Hi John,

Thanks for that. Reason I ask is that a common theme amongst many photographers (myself included) is that the T2i / 550D - although just as capable as any other camera - can be none-the-less "not great" when compared to the pro-sumer / advanced amateur line with regards to ergonomics. In particular, some find that it's a little too small in the average man's hands, whilst others comment that the lack of a QCD (quick control dial) means that you end up doing a LOT of button pushing to adjust parameters (which you'll need to do a lot). If you've already made up you mind then that's fine, but if you'd like some input from others here on alternatives such as the 7D or the newly announced 60D, just let us know, and we'll be glad to help. Additionally, it's also rated for far less shutter actuations.

With regards to Kindle ... I run the kindle software on my iPad, iPhone, and PC ... and love it. Thankfully, all the best photography books are available in the kindle format and in particular I'd recommend Scott Kelby's Digital Photography series (books 1, 2, and 3) as an excellent starting point. Joe McNally's "The Moment it Clicks" is incredibly inspiring, and there are other more technical books I can recommend when you want something to get your teeth stuck into.

Hope this helps

Real Name
    ....... bp

CS4 is more program than you will ever need, and a learning curve....... lots of help vids on the net.

Open cs4 and do an update and you should get the latest version of Camera Raw, which is a program you use to process RAW images......

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pix View Post
    Open cs4 and do an update and you should get the latest version of Camera Raw, which is a program you use to process RAW images......
    It won't get you the latest (6.2) because that only runs under CS5, but it should at least get you to 5.7, which will open T2i files, although I strongly suggest John grabs the free DNG converter and converts to the DNG format.

Real Name
    Kevin

Welcome to CiC, and greetings from across the East Sea/Sea of Japan! Good to see another English teacher with too much money on his hands, I'd hate to be the only one! (I just bought a Leica lens for my E-P1 with my last paycheque. It's a weird feeling having this kind of disposable income...)

Real Name
    John

Colin,

I checked out the 7D. Its nice, but still a thousand more than the Rebel T2i. Since this is a starter camera for me and I am not a professional I'm not sure I can afford that jump (maybe in the future).

I also checked out the Canon 60D. It also looks super nice, but still 600 dollars more. I might consider it though. I guess I have more research to do.

Yeah, the kindle is great. With me living in Japan it allows me to read tons of books without paying huge shipping costs and then having to leave them here when I come home.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check those books out.

Real Name

Colin,

I checked out the 7D. Its nice, but still a thousand more than the Rebel T2i. Since this is a starter camera for me and I am not a professional I'm not sure I can afford that jump (maybe in the future).

I also checked out the Canon 60D. It also looks super nice, but still 600 dollars more. I might consider it though. I guess I have more research to do.

Yeah, the kindle is great. With me living in Japan it allows me to read tons of books without paying huge shipping costs and then having to leave them here when I come home.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check those books out.
    Hi John,

I'll tell you a little story ...

My first steps into Digital SLR photography were via a Canon 350D. I loved it ... right up until the time (about a month after I bought it) when I had a play with a collegues 20D. At that point I sold the 350D at a loss - and bought a 20D. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is, "if you get it wrong then it can well end up costing your more"; and I got it wrong.

In the case of the 550D -v- 60D -v- 7D it's not an image quality issue as the images are fine from any of these ... but it is an ergonomics issue - and it is a build-quality issue - and other factors like shutter life come into it as well. So I'm not saying buying a 550D is the wrong choice, but I really just wanted to pass on the feedback that for me it was a decision that I ultimately regretted ... and that faced with the same situation - personally - I'd rather have a 2nd hand 40D than a new 550D; the image quality will be (in real world terms) the same, but the ergonomics and build quality (in real word terms) will be a LOT better on the pro-sumer model. Additionally, although there is a price difference, ultimately it'll pale into insignificance compared to the total cost of your investment when eventually you start adding lenses / tripods & heads / flashes etc.

Real Name
    John

Well Colin you make a convincing arguement.

And might I also add I checked out out your pictures and they are amazing!

I guess I could afford the 60D if I waited a couple of months, I really didn't know ergonomics would be that big of a deal. And yeah, you are right about the accessories, photography (and videography) are certainly not cheap hobbies!!

My original plan was to shoot a number of short films, while trying to do a feature film here in japan in about a year. I"m working on a screen play about a CIA hitman in Japan and have been putting together a crew. It will be low budget but it should be a blast to make and a learning experience for me.

While my emphasis is on video I also would like to get serious about photography. This would help with my cinematography. Digital photography and cinematography share many of the same concepts and vocabulary (exposure, apeture, white balance etc).

I think for now I will just start putting 500 bucks in a saving account every month, and then let that accrue while I practice with my other cameras (canon hv40 and a kodak C182).

You have certainly given me something to think about.

Real Name

Well Colin you make a convincing arguement.
    Of course I could also be completely wrong!

And might I also add I checked out out your pictures and they are amazing!
    Thanks (I like them too) (Note to self - must remember to send John a PM reminding him that he needs to vote in the next competition!)

In all seriousness John, what I have come to realise since I've been helping out here (coming up on a couple of years now) is that now more than ever (or at least as much as ever) we seem to be living in a world where "real world experience" counts for so much more than "specifications". So many seem to be getting caught up in the technicalities of "18MP being better than 15MP" (which is an increase of approximately nothing) and "UV filters degrading image quality" (they don't, end of story) etc and in their quests they completely overlook things that have a far far far far far bigger influence on the outcome (they'll invest in a $3000 lens and then post unsharpened work!).

In other words - in the absence of real wold experience, they often put too much weight on the wrong factors. So as someone who shoots landscape - shoots portraiture in my own studio - produces large canvas prints for customers, I try to let people know that the advice I give comes not just from "talking the talk", but more importantly from "walking the walk". And I'm not just talking about myself here either -- one of the things that makes me proud to be part of this site is the fact that we've fostered an environment where there are many who produce commercial / professional grade work, and are totally selfless in mentoring others - taking them under their wing - and encouraging them to higher levels. And more importantly, we're seeing them GET to those higher levels (I just wish they'd stop beating me in competitions -- hey guys, ever heard of professional courtesy here!!!) (Just kidding )

Help and assistance based on real-world experience, not pedantic arguing over irrelivant specifications from those who spend more time "talking about it" than they actually spend "doing it".

So that's alittle insite as to why I sometimes do a bit of arm twisting when folks talk of 550D's etc; not to say it's a wrong choice, just to say that it may come with things that folks who don't do a lot of shooting may not appreciate yet.

I also talk to much a lot of the time!

Real Name
    Rick

Hello all,

This would be a good way for me to compare and contrast different settings and their end result. I have done several google searches for this but have not found any info.
    Sorry to join in late, John (although it's usual for me ).

This thread talks about tools to show EXIF data outside Photoshop. I thought it might be interesting for you, since some allow batch processing, and might work well for the kind of compare and contrast you're interested in.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    John

Well, after taking Colin's comments to heart, I've done some more research.

At first I was dead set on the Rebel T2i, but I have since decided that the 60D is perhaps the better choice.

In Japan, the Rebel T2i is 700 dollars, and the 60D is 1300, so the price difference is a bit steeper than in America for some reason (the Rebel is cheaper in Japan, while the 60D is more expensive)

I do have one question.

What is the difference between the 18-55 and 18-135 lenses? Is is just the 18-135 lens can zoom more? Or does it actually take crisper photos? What difference does is make with video?

Thanks, I decided not to start a new thread for the question. Any help would be appreciated.

John