Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nik Efex?

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Nik Efex?

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseTopp View Post
    Where do I find that please?

PC onto a laptop
    Here's a link that explains things when you want to use it as a standalone and shows where you will find it installed.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-sta...s-photography/

It starts here......................

Standalone Executables

Warning: If you use the plug-in as a standalone, it overwrites the original photo. Before using the plug-ins, make a copy of all images.

Real Name
    George

PC onto a laptop
    On this pc c:\program files\google\nik collection. But this is a xp pc. I don't know your os but it is something like that. Do a re-install and look where it's installed. It's mentioned then.

Do read the warning in Graham's post.

George

Real Name
    Marc

I am using Nik Software for >15 years, since they came out...98-99 or sth around that date...have had also bought the whole Google Nik Collection back into 2013 Spring, and was being *very* afraid that Google would kill it sooner or later...in fact, since March, it's done - free as DL for the public, no more developments...exactly my fears...came true... :-(( Anyway, i use Silfer Efex Pro 2 for all my b&w conventions.....it's a great Tool...for sure, not quite as good as the Mac Tonality Plugin, but still...very good...and it was the 1st B&W PS plugin onto the market ever....

Real Name
    Yes

Sometimes Nik does not install in the desired version of Photoshop. The soloution is to just copy the files that exist for Nik in the plug in folder in the old photoshop version that works to the plug in folder in the updated version. When you start photoshop it finds and installs any plugins in the plugin folder, however be aware that this does slow down photoshop startup, so dont retain unused plugins

Real Name
    Bill

Louise, I occasionally use it on Mac, in standalone mode. I use CaptureOne Pro and simply go to File > Edit with and then select the NIK app of interest from the dropdown. It does not overwrite the original (but that is almost certainly not a universally true experience) but neither does it complete the round trip and return the edited image to the folder alongside the original. I have to do a "Save as" and then import.

I realise that it is unlikely that you have this combination of computer and editing/library software, but am posting to let you know it can be done with standalone operation, so don't give up.

EDIT: I have just been informed by a "photo buddy" that he had problems with the NIK apps not completing the round trip when the original is a RAW file (but he did add that he wasn't sure if that applied to dng files).
    Last edited by billtils; 16th October 2016 at 06:15 PM.

Looks like it doesn't work on it's own, only as part of other editing programes.

Real Name
    Peter

Nik Efex?

Looks like it doesn't work on it's own, only as part of other editing programes.
    Louise I'm sure it works as a stand alone I'll see if I can find any info for you

Update here's some info for you to peruse.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/quest...p-or-lightroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    George

Explain what you did. So we don't have to guess. If you ask us to solve a problem, some feedback might help.

George

Real Name
    Grahame

I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion Louise but without further feedback from yourself it's difficult to provide more assistance or diagnosis.

Your previous posting suggested you had not confirmed the Nik software loaded or located.

PC onto a laptop

If you want more help can you please answer the following questions, in order.

Question 1 - Have you downloaded and installed the Nik Collection Software ?

Question 2 - Have you located the Nik Collection programme on your computer 'C' drive ?

Here's an idea of what you should find.

Nik Efex?

Question 3 - If you have found the Nik Collection programme with its subfolders as above have you double clicked on one of the 'Application' files ? (In the example above, I show the Silver Efex Pro 2 Application file on the right hand side lower file.)
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 17th October 2016 at 08:30 PM.

Real Name
    Sandy

Another question to answer that would be useful - are you using a MAC or a PC?

Real Name
    Bill

No that's not correct Louise. It will work when accessing it directly but I described it as being accessed through another program (which happens to be CaptureOne in this case) because it is simpler to do it that way.

Hi I'm using a PC. I go to downloads and right click on it, and then open. It just seems to install again. Uisng Windows 10 by the way.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi I'm using a PC. I go to downloads and right click on it, and then open. It just seems to install again. Uisng Windows 10 by the way.
    It will do that Louise because you are simply re-installing it. You need to see if you can find the installed programme location as I have shown in the pic above.

I'm also using Win 10 so you should see similar directories on your C drive..
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 18th October 2016 at 10:32 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Louise,

There are three ways to load the application you have installed.

1. Use the method Grahame explained by simply drilling down through your directory of Program Files as displayed in his screenshot. Click the pertinent file name.

2. Click the Windows icon located in the very bottom left corner of your computer. The left side of the pop up panel will display a list of programs installed on your computer. If you hover your mouse over that side of panel, a scroll bar will allow you to scroll down through a listing of programs displayed in alphabetical order. Look for Google or Nik Collection. Once you've found the program you want to launch, simply click it.

3. When you installed the Nik Collection, the installation program might have automatically created an icon for each application on your desktop. Look on your desktop for the pertinent icon and click it.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Louise,

There are three ways to load the application you have installed.
    1. Use the method Grahame explained by simply drilling down through your directory of Program Files as displayed in his screenshot. Click the pertinent file name.
    Mike, for clarity (for Louise) what I showed and asked in my post was to try and get feedback from Louise to confirm to us that a) the programme had installed into her 'C' drive directory, and b) show her where it is launched from when used in 'stand alone' mode.

(If Louise confirms it can actually be opened we can then look at adding 'short cuts' if wanted.)

2. Click the Windows icon located in the very bottom left corner of your computer. The left side of the pop up panel will display a list of programs installed on your computer. If you hover your mouse over that side of panel, a scroll bar will allow you to scroll down through a listing of programs displayed in alphabetical order. Look for Google or Nik Collection. Once you've found the program you want to launch, simply click it.
    There is no reference to the Nik set shown in this list you refer to on my Win 10 system.

3. When you installed the Nik Collection, the installation program might have automatically created an icon for each application on your desktop. Look on your desktop for the pertinent icon and click it.
    It did not place, or give an option to place icons to the desktop on my Win 10 system.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Mike, for clarity (for Louise) what I showed and asked in my post was to try and get feedback from Louise to confirm to us that a) the programme had installed into her 'C' drive directory, and b) show her where it is launched from when used in 'stand alone' mode.

(If Louise confirms it can actually be opened we can then look at adding 'short cuts' if wanted.)

There is no reference to the Nik set shown in this list you refer to on my Win 10 system.

It did not place, or give an option to place icons to the desktop on my Win 10 system.
    Xp and 8.1 only an installation in the nik collection dir. You have to call the program from there and when it opens you've to know how to load and save the files. When I remember well there where 1 or 2 programs that didn't, I didn't find out how. I don't use them.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    That's odd. I wonder why other programs are listed there but not the Nik programs.

Real Name
    George

That's odd. I wonder why other programs are listed there but not the Nik programs.
    For it's not developed and installed as a stand alone program.

George

Real Name
    Grahame

I have no idea Mike but did not want to see Louise misled and think that because your suggestions did not work on her specific Win system it was time to give up without addressing the basics

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    For it's not developed and installed as a stand alone program.
    But I thought Louise was installing it as a stand-alone program.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th October 2016 at 11:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast