Thread: Cygnets and Gulls

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Cygnets and Gulls

A series of shots from a local pond.
    I have been following this family of swans since May of this year, originally there was 7 cygnets now down to 4.
    I am not happy with #1 and #2 seems lacking in clarity and more, what can I do better with the camera for a later shoot.
    The sun was behind and to the right of me for #1 and #2
    Canon 6D Canon EF 70-300mm
    All C&C welcome

1 Take off f5, 1/800sec ISO 200 FL 70mm
    Cygnets and Gulls

2 Coming into land f5.6, 1/800sec ISO 160 FL 170mm
    Cygnets and Gulls

3 Low flying f18, 1/800sec ISO 1000 FL 180
    Cygnets and Gulls

4 High flying f10, 1/800sec ISO 100 FL 225mm
    Cygnets and Gulls

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Cygnets and Gulls

Quote Originally Posted by Craigie View Post
    I am not happy with #1 and #2 seems lacking in clarity and more, what can I do better with the camera for a later shoot.
    Despite the different exposure settings, I suspect the metering was fooled by the relatively small area of white in comparison to other tones and this has led to over exposure of the whites in #2 and to some extent, also #1 (although I don't think that's too bad).

You could try spot metering on the white (which the meter will want to make mid-grey), then raise it by 2 stops (to restore it to white).

What I usually do is just get the correct exposure for the swan in sunlight, then set that on Manual and leave it alone (until conditions change).

The gull shots are very sharp, well done.

Dave

Real Name
    Maurice

Great shots, three outstanding so sharp and colourful.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Thanks Dave for input it is very much appreciated, it all helps in the process of improving my photography.
    Cheers Maurice, that particular shot I did not have time to compose it any better as the gull took off and I took the shot, hence the gull is all to the top R/H side.

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Thanks John

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Gary, although the gulls are very sharp and all, I like #1 shot very much as I had seen these attitudes/actions from time to time when I go home to Australia and take a stroll near the lake. The only difference is that your swans over there are white while ours in Oz are all black. I have seen only one swan in Oz.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Gary, although the gulls are very sharp and all, I like #1 shot very much as I had seen these attitudes/actions from time to time when I go home to Australia and take a stroll near the lake. The only difference is that your swans over there are white while ours in Oz are all black. I have seen only one swan in Oz.
    Thanks Izzie, I got 6 shots of the take off and that was the best of a bad bunch.
    Will try again before they leave the pond for good.
    Black swans now that I would like to see and photograph.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice shots Gary.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Cheers Joe

Real Name
    Chris

I wonder given the whites in the image if you suse a + or - EV when shooting birds against a blue sky. Just curious.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by ccphoto View Post
    I wonder given the whites in the image if you suse a + or - EV when shooting birds against a blue sky. Just curious.
    I'm talking of wildlife shooting here ...

Certainly "riding the EC" (when using A/Av or S/Tv or even M + Auto ISO) is something I used to do a lot - and still do when the conditions require (relatively massive) changes of exposure - e.g. some subjects framed in sunlight, others framed in shade.

As Chris will know; The knack (if using Average/Matrix metering) is to develop an eye for the area ratios of brights to darks and second guess whether the meter (and hence auto exposure) is likely over or under expose, then dial in the appropriate EC to counteract that. All without taking the eye from the V/F, which is easy if you can configure the camera (as my D7100 can) to have EC available on the rear command dial without needing to simultaneously press a "+/-" button - this makes it very easy to do (with practice).

Anyway, that method works for me, others will have their own preferences for metering mode and method of exposure control, whatever works for you is the 'right answer' - and as per my experience, what's best for some situations isn't necessarily best for all, so be adaptable and open to new ideas.

After years of "riding the iso" (in addition to "riding the EC"), while using A/Av mode to maintain shutter speed in an acceptable range while also maintaining a known aperture (for DoF), I was eventually persuaded to persevere with Auto-ISO until I got the hang of it, so now I tend to use M+Auto ISO, with a fixed SS and aperture, when I need semi-automatic exposure (and still "ride the EC" to ensure it's correct) OR fully manual (fixed ISO) when I know the lighting isn't changeable.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th October 2016 at 08:09 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

I have experimented with auto ISO using either Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority, but until you just mentioned it, have not tried a preset manual combination. In general, do you reset your ISO range as you shoot for each time of the day, or leave as is for all conditions? And, in general, what range do you use? I think when I was doing the AP, I ranged from 200 to 1600 at f:/8 with a preset EV of+.7. My tick with this method is internal light meters have a tendency to get lazy and instead of really working through the problem, they just go to the highest ISO which results in a lot of shadow noise. I found this even worse with Shutter Priority.

I cannot speak for all cameras, but my D810 has a computer folder of thousands of images to use for metering comparison. If you are shooting single frame exposures, taking your time between frames, this computer file works marvelously well. However, when shooting fast moving birds or aircraft, I tend to shoot at 6 FPS and I find the computer cannot keep up with the changes in the light as you pan across the sky. This is especially true if there are a few clouds in the scene. Thus, it gets lazy. One helpful discovery I have made is using the fastest CF card available as it makes the buffering issue a non issue.

Oh goody, now I have another whole set of experiments to try. As per my bird shooting, very much of it is done from a moving boat so I have an extra compensation unless shooting at idling speeds or with the trolling motor (electric).

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

I finally captured some better images (imho) of the swans and cygnets.
    Better viewed in litebox.
    C&C welcome.

1 Taking off
    Cygnets and Gulls

2 Lift off
    Cygnets and Gulls

3 Flying off
    Cygnets and Gulls

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Excellent shots! Think someone like a photographer, made them leave? hahahaha...I like #1 for its solo features. The reflections looks good too.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Excellent shots! Think someone like a photographer, made them leave? hahahaha...I like #1 for its solo features. The reflections looks good too.
    Thanks Izzie, it would take more than me to make the swans move, they are pretty feisty birds.
    It took 4 trips in eight days, to finally catch them taking off.