Thread: B+W XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer - WOW!

Real Name
    E. James

B+W XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer - WOW!

I just received an 82mm B+W XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer that has a very high light transmission feature. I am using it on a Sigma 24-35mm on my D810. I have only begun to be amazed by it as my other polarizer seems quite dark by comparison. Also, oddly enough, I put it in front of my LED (backlit) computer monitor and rotated it and the light was tinted from ambur to blue just like white balance - ??? Anyway, the utility of a common polarizer is well documented but this seems an extraordinary polarizer and I am wondering who among you millions may educate me as to its unapparent advantages and/or basic stuff I also admit to having insufficient knowledge of (except I do know to turn the filter to adjust effect).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: B+W XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer - WOW!

I have the 77mm version. It acts just like any other CPol, but has some additional coatings that reduce reflections, "repels" water and other contaminants. The Käsemann design has additional sealing that prevents fungal growth in humid environments.

Use - darken skies, but be careful with your wide angle lens, especially at the wider side as you can get banding. The polarization effect is maximum at when you are pointing at right angles to the sun. There is no effect when the sun is directly in front or behind you. The variability can be seen as the darkening of the sky will range between those two extremes. I never shoot at maximum effect as the skies tend to look unrealistic.

The most common use for me is to reduce reflections / glare from non-metallic surfaces including leaves, water and glass.

As you have already mentioned, you can monitor the effect as you rotate the front element of the filter.

Real Name
    Paul David

Re: B+W XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer - WOW!

Removing polarized sunglasses also helps when dialing in the desired effects with a circular polarizer.