Thread: Remember to change the clock

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Remember to change the clock

One of my mistakes on my trip to Yosemite was that, after a few days, I noticed that my photo files were dated for one day (e.g. Sept 12th) and I knew I had taken them the the previous day. What was wrong?

I had forgotten to change the time zone on the cameras.

So, for the first few days I need to deduct 8 hours if I need to know the time of day at which I captured the photo.

Now I need to remember to change them back when I get home!
    Last edited by Donald; 2nd October 2016 at 02:35 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Remember to change the clock

Just returned from Canada Donald so the same thing applies. Never even occurred to me.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    One of my mistakes on my trip to Yosemite was that, after a few days, I noticed that my photo files were dated for one day (e.g. Sept 12th) and I knew I had taken them the the previous day. What was wrong?

I had forgotten to change the time zone on the cameras.

So, for the first few days I need to deduct 8 hours if I need to know the time of day at which I captured the photo.

Now I need to remember to change them back when I get home!
    For a related reason, I always set my cameras to GMT. I do that because another site (DP REVIEW) pops up some EXIF data if you mouse over your posted image, including the time: but it adds "GMT" after whatever your camera says, duh.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 2nd October 2016 at 03:24 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I rarely remember to change the time zones when I travel and I usually don't care. I don't ever remember making the change from and to Daylight Saving Time that occurs even when I'm not traveling. In the few situations when I do want to record the proper time, I make the changes to the metadata afterward using my cataloging software.

Real Name
    George

Donald,
    If it bothers you you might be able to change it. Probably both in raw and jpg.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It doesn't always work as not all countries are in the camera's database.

India runs at GMT +5:30, and that is in my camera's database, but Nepal, which runs at GMT +5:45 is not. It's easy to put in anything where the clock is an even number of hours before or after GMT, but the fraction of on hour ones are not, unless the database has the country listed specifically.

One can obviously set the clock manually, but then the GMT offset in the metadata will be wrong.