Thread: Chasing the dogs

Real Name
    Ahmet

Chasing the dogs

Chasing the dogs

Real Name
    Dan

re: Chasing the dogs

Nicely composeod, Ahmet. If there is time to plan ahead for such a shot, manipulating DOF to sharpen focus on the child may be considered. I'm a dog lover so it works as shot for me

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Ahmet I cropped the image to put the emphasis more on the child and the dogs. I agree with Dan about more DOF . Also a faster shutter speed would give sharper results for moving objects. Although it is not very sharp and clear , I like the image.

I don't know if you used the aperture priority when shooting this image. If so, you can increase the ISO for a faster shutter speed next time while using a narrower aperture for a better DOF. I don't usually shoot moving objects but IMO you need a shutter speed at least between 1/500-1/800 for an image like this.

Chasing the dogs

I like Binnur's crop. Maybe slightly tone down the highlight brightspots and possibly lighten the shadows a fraction.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Chasing the dogs

Hi Ahmet,

I see this was shot with a Sony A6000 at 50mm (plus digital zoom of 1.4) and in Aperture-priority, 1/200 sec, f/5.6 (wide open), ISO 100.

I would have used a higher ISO, but that's easy for me to say after the event

You probably chose the ISO while the child (yours?) was in the sunshine, but the dogs are now in shadow, so like Geoff, I'd suggest some PP to brighten them up a bit.

My gut instinct says that with the relative subject shooting distances, focal length and your sensor size (as we see here), I doubt there's an aperture available where you'd be able to get them all within the DoF, but I haven't checked on a DoF calculator. I'd focus on the dogs, as you have.

If you were intending to shoot this scene, fill flash might be an option to help even up the exposure between sunlit child and (closer) dogs in shadow, but I wouldn't want to try that without practising first.

Hope my ramblings are useful, Dave

PS
    I agree with the tighter crop, although I would have taken a smidge more off the bottom edge than Binnur's helpful example.

Real Name
    Maurice

Nice shot, the crop is big help.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Thank you Dan.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Thanks John.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Thank you Binnur. The cropped one looks better.I know it is not very clear and sharp but l liked the composition and wanted to share it.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Thanks Geoff.

Real Name
    Richard

I think brightening the shadows and reducing the highlights as well as cropping a bit closer might add to the image...

Chasing the dogs

If it is possible, moving the child (using content aware move or some such thing) might also help by placing the child closer to the dogs. However, I don't have the skill to accomplish this.

Chasing the dogs

The big dog is a really handsome animal. Is it a German Shepherd (Alsatian) or an Anatolian Shepherd?

It is difficult with many cameras to adjust the shooting parameters fast enough to capture an image that appears so quickly. That is where the User Selected Modes of my 7D, 5D2 and 7D2 really shine. I have User Selected Mode #1 set up for instant action shots with these parameters: ISO 400, AI Servo AF focus, high-speed burst mode and Programmed Exposure. I can switch to this set of parameters with a momentary switch of the mode dial. IMO, these parameters will give me the best chance to capture an action shot most quickly and with the least adjusting of parameters. My cameras each have three user selected modes which I have set up for various types of shooting. Canon has had the User Selected Mode system since the advent of the 40D. Some Canon cameras have fewer than three User selected modes (I suspect that the Rebel models don't have this capability but, I don't know) and I don't know whether other brand cameras have anything like the user selected mode system.

BTW: Most photographers sing the praises of the 7D2 lock button on the mode dial which prevents them from accidentally switching the shooting mode. I have been shooting Canon DSLR cameras without a mode dial lock for over twelve years (since I bought my first DSLR, a Canon 10D) and have never, even once, accidentally switched the shooting mode because there was no lock on the mode dial. For me, all that the mode lock does is slow me down when I want to switch modes. I wish that there was an override for this lock!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd October 2016 at 05:15 PM.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Hi Dave ,
    Thank you very much for your comment. They are very useful for me. I think while shooting, I am not fast enough to see the details, the dogs were in the shadow and the child was in the sunshine, yet. When I saw them , I thought it was a good compotition and wanted to took their photo. For me it was very short time . I think I will be able to gain this skill with more experience and it will take time. It would have been better if I had chosen higher ISO .

Real Name
    Ahmet

Hi Richard,
    Thank you very much for the information. I didn't know that some cameras have User selected modes. I have a sony A6000 and I think it doesn't have it.
    I don't know the dog is German or Anatolian shepherd. Its color resembles a German shepherd. It is a street dog and I think it is a mixed blood dog.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Ahmet...what a wonderful presentation. Nicely seen. I do like the crop of Binnur and the overall look of the image, but Richard's correction revealed more of what is happening in the shadows which should have been left where it was -- in the shadows, so it does not distract from the original intent of the presentation. Good job.

Real Name
    Ahmet

Hi Izzie,
    Thank you very much for your feedback.