Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 7D Mark II or Canon 6D?

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Canon 7D Mark II or Canon 6D?

Mary,
    Some mention has been made of purchasing a used camera. I don't think that purchasing a used camera is a good move for a newbie photographer UNLESS the camera is purchased from a friend who can vouch for the condition of the camera. Purchasing from an online source like eBay is very chancy and purchasing a used camera from a reputable dealer eats up a lot of the savings that you would get by buying used.
    Of course, if you know someone who is selling a camera like the Canon 40D or 50D, you may be able to get that camera for $200 or so dollars in the USA. You could buy it, play with it for a year or so while you are learning to shoot and then, you could sell it at virtually no loss.
    As far as the quality of imagery from the 40D; it is really very good to excellent...

Canon 7D Mark II or Canon 6D?

Canon 7D Mark II or Canon 6D?

The 40D or 50D doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the newer cameras but, IMO, either would be a great starter camera and you would not lose a great deal (perhaps break even) if you purchased on, used it for a year or so and then sold it after you decided exactly you wanted in a camera.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Bill / Dan - I can agree with your suggestions that a beginner can handle a high end camera with the help of a knowledgeable "instructor", but I would argue the same is true for anything, including the car and scuba diving examples. The main issue I have is that most people don't do that and end up using the camera as a point and shoot.

The other issue I have seen both in photography and in scuba diving is that the inexperienced user will accidentally change some setting or other and the next time I talk to them I hear "there's something wrong with my equipment". There is simply less that the user can change in a simpler camera, so there is less that can go wrong.

I give slightly different advice and suggest the user gets a camera / lens, etc. setup that they are comfortable with. Once (and if) the camera wears out or they are running into equipment limitations, that to me is the time to move ahead with the hardware.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I think that one of the general strengths of CiC is that the contributions from members who have a few years of experience is usually overwhelmingly targeted at assisting the person who is asking advice: and it is NOT a competition as to who is 'correct' or 'incorrect'.

Just mentioning this for Mary's benefit - she should read all the commentaries carefully (as in the main we all strive to be articulate and conscientious to write carefully) and chose which best suits her position and needs - and that she not be afraid to ask more questions - the thing is we folk who have been around at CiC for a while just love continue our conversations because we all are so enthusiastic - so Mary don't feel that the conversation is being "taken over" . . . it isn't . . . it is just enthusiasm wanting to help you . . .

WW

I've read thru all the replies here and there is some really good advice given in all of them.
    I'm a relative newbie here and a rank amateur by anyone's standards.
    As such, my advice to you, Mary, is figure out what feels right in your hands. I think, from a beginners standpoint, the ergonomics of a camera can overwhelmingly be the most important factor in using it effectively. If you find it hard to hold, difficult to manipulate the controls or it just plain weighs too much, you won't end up using it as much as one that fits your hands like a glove.
    I, for one, look forward to seeing more of your journey/adventure into this thing called photography.

Real Name
    Richard

My wife drives an Accura MDX which is a relatively high end vehicle. I don't think it is anymore complicated or more difficult to drive than would be a lass expensive vehicle.

In fact, due to some of the added safety features (such as blind spot warning) it would actually be easier and more enjoyable to drive for a newbie or experienced driver.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th October 2016 at 11:22 PM.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by mmbad View Post
    So maybe I should start off with a cheaper camera, and buy different lenses as many of you mentioned. Do you guys think the Canon T5i or something similar is a good starting point? Also, any lenses you recommend I should start out with?
    I've always been interested, particularly, in wildlife photography. I purchased my first DSLR, a Canon Rebel T3, in June 2010. Being a novice to the DSLR world, it was quite overwhelming when studying all of the technical aspects of photography, as well as the host of lenses that were available to me.

I am SO GLAD I started inexpensively as I grew in my knowledge. Back in 2010, my budget, too, wouldn't allow me to do otherwise. I really didn't mind, for I was thrilled at being able to purchase my first DSLR!! Since that purchase, I've gained SO MUCH knowledge about photography, and I am MUCH more confident today than I was back in 2010. It really IS a learning process but a VERY ENJOYABLE learning process!

This post caught my attention because I, too, am seriously considering my first upgrade from the Canon T3 to, most likely, the 7D Mark II. I've been looking at the 6D too, but for my personal interests, which are primarily wildlife and macro photography, from what I've researched thus far, the 7D Mark II seems to be the better option for me.

I am simply a hobbyist and just enjoy getting out when I can and shooting. I use what I've learned over the past several years all the time, and I continue to learn as much as possible. Reading the advice from experts on this site has been a TREMENDOUS help to me. I always find myself coming back for help.

Jeff

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by bisso7 View Post
    I've always been interested, particularly, in wildlife photography. I purchased my first DSLR, a Canon Rebel T3, in June 2010. Being a novice to the DSLR world, it was quite overwhelming when studying all of the technical aspects of photography, as well as the host of lenses that were available to me.

I am SO GLAD I started inexpensively as I grew in my knowledge. Back in 2010, my budget, too, wouldn't allow me to do otherwise. I really didn't mind, for I was thrilled at being able to purchase my first DSLR!! Since that purchase, I've gained SO MUCH knowledge about photography, and I am MUCH more confident today than I was back in 2010. It really IS a learning process but a VERY ENJOYABLE learning process!

This post caught my attention because I, too, am seriously considering my first upgrade from the Canon T3 to, most likely, the 7D Mark II. I've been looking at the 6D too, but for my personal interests, which are primarily wildlife and macro photography, from what I've researched thus far, the 7D Mark II seems to be the better option for me.

I am simply a hobbyist and just enjoy getting out when I can and shooting. I use what I've learned over the past several years all the time, and I continue to learn as much as possible. Reading the advice from experts on this site has been a TREMENDOUS help to me. I always find myself coming back for help.

Jeff
    I purchased my 7D Mark-II refurbished for under $1,100 USD from the Canon USA Store (It was on sale) and received a 12 month warranty on the purchase. My previous refurbished Canon DSLR Cameras only carried a 90 day warranty - but,,, I HAVE NEVER NEEDED THE WARRANTY ON ANY OF THEM.

The refurbished 7D Mark-II from Canon runs $1249 today. That is $150 more than I paid for it almost a year ago.

Actually, a new 7D Mark-II from B&H in New York City is a better buy because you don't have to pay sales tax.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&Q=&A=details

California sales tax is in the area of 8.5%. I don't know how much the tax is in Ohio but, I would, if I were you, research that.

If, however, you see a camera online for significantly less than B&H charges, I would be extremely wary or that seller...

Note: The 7D Mark-II is a great BIF camera, especially with a 400mm f/5.6L lens and that lens can be found for $75 to $800 USD used on eBay...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th November 2016 at 01:37 AM.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Actually, a new 7D Mark-II from B&H in New York City is a better buy because you don't have to pay sales tax.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&Q=&A=details

California sales tax is in the area of 8.5%. I don't know how much the tax is in Ohio but, I would, if I were you, research that.

If, however, you see a camera online for significantly less than B&H charges, I would be extremely wary or that seller...

Thanks for the link Richard! Yup, I actually have that page saved on my browser favorites. Sales tax in Ohio is 7.25%. I didn't know the tip about the NY sales tax, so thanks for that!

From what I researched of the 7D Mark II so far, I am perfectly fine with paying that price. I love the 65-point AF system, the 10-fps shooting, and the high image quality I know I'll receive from using it! The list of benefits goes on, when considering an upgrade from the entry-level T3.

A wildlife photographer I follow uses the 7D Mark II. She, too, is just a hobbyist, but her work is of incredible quality. In fact, she is the one who sparked my interest in this camera model. About a year-and-a-half ago, I traveled 700 miles to shoot at The World Sanctuary, in Valley Park, MO. She was there that weekend, and so I got to meet her in person.

Jeff

Real Name
    Richard

Jeff, there are lots of extra goodies available to 7D Mark-II users including the ability to auto-focus (using the center spot) at f/8. That means I can use a 1.4x TC on an f/5.6 lens and retain auto focus.

The focusing capability is mind boggling and you can shift focus areas quite easily - see videos below...

Although I don't use it, the two memory card system could be handy to some shooters, especially those folks who like to shoot RAW + JPEG.

New also is a "Bulb Timer," which means you can program the length of your long exposure in a menu. Press the shutter, and if you want a 2 hour, 35 minute and 23 second exposure, the 7D Mk II will do it while you go back to sleep — no external anything required.

Can record time, date, location, elevation above MSL as well as direction the camera is pointed, all in EXIF. But it doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi...

It has a mode lock button which prevents the photographer from accidentally turning the mode dial. I have used a large number of Canon DSLR cameras without the lock button (D60, 10D, 30D, 40D and 7D) and have never once accidentally switched the mode dial because of a lack of a lock. OTOH. I used a Canon 350D for a while and switched the mode accidentally many times...

I wish that this camera had ISO 50 capability (or even ISO 25) and I wish that this camera could shoot more than three bracketed exposures automatically when AEB and burst mode are selected.

I also wish that Canon had not been cutting pennies and supplied a complete owners manual in hard copy instead of an abbreviated version in hard copy and the complete manual on the CD that accompanies the camera.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/030001...-mk2-im-en.pdf

I think that the Grant Atkinson YouTube series on the 7D Mark-II focus capabilities and adjustments are excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYFMVnCDqig

There are lots more great videos on the &D Mark II on the YouTube channels.

In fact, this video on using the 7D Mk ii Q-Button, by Grant Atkinson, is also useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCzXB-ZaA-k
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th November 2016 at 02:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12