Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old lenses Never Die

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Old lenses Never Die

While not "old lenses" in the context of this posting, I have used my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on four generations of DSLR cameras (30D, 40D, 7D and 7D2) and if you consider the 70-200mm alone, you can add the 5D2 to that lineup.

They are expensive lenses but the pro-rated cost over quite a few years and thousands upon thousands of images is really quite low.

I purchased a used 300mm f/4L IS lens years ago and used it on the 40D, 7D 7D2 and 5D2. After I sold the lens, I calculated the bottom line cost over the years of use. Pro-rated after selling the lens, my bottom line cost was about one U.S. Dollar per month. That is a pretty darned low priced LENS RENTAL

BTW: I replaced that lens and the 400mm f/5.6L lens with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II lens which I do like better. However, the 300L and 400L are still very capable of producing great imagery and are amazing bargains...

Real Name
    Pete

They just keep on going with the aid of adapters and that newfangled device that is the mirrorless digital camera
    There is just something about the older legacy lenses and how they have a gentle character for portraits.
    I have exactly the same cheap adapter and my wife appreciates the rendering of portraits I get from the Nikon 100mm 2.8 E.

I recently found this Nikkor 50mm f1.2 on a Nikon FM2 camera. Had to buy the camera to get the lens.
    I didn't mind, $100 is not a lot to part with for that lens, let alone the camera.
    YOU WHAT!!!??? what a steal. I wish I had beat you to it. Lucky you

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    You don't need any electronics for focus peaking so just get a cheap adapter - the K&F ones are £12.99 which isn't bad. The Fuji will meter with any aperture so you don't even need fancy controls to stop the iris down, you just pre-select it and go.
    One question Robin, do you get focus peaking with the XT-1 and the 28mm attached via the adapter? With the Nikon 100 E attached I don't seem to get any peaking even though it is set to ON and RED. Still easy enough to focus with that big bright EVF, though.

Thanks and regards,
    Pete

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

...they just keep contributing tae make interesting photos...especially FSU lenses,,,

All shots using Sony α700...

Jupiter 11 f4/135mm -

Old lenses Never Die

Old lenses Never Die

Old lenses Never Die

Helios 44 f2/58mm (8 blade aperture, black enamel)

Old lenses Never Die

Old lenses Never Die

Helios 44m-4 f2/58mm (6 blade aperture)

Old lenses Never Die

Beautiful shots Boab.

Pete - I couldn't believe it when the seller said I could have it and get it that day. I thought for sure it'd be sold already. The ad was 15 hours old after all. These things don't sit around forever when priced like that.

Real Name
    Bill

Boab, three words spring to mind: jings, crivens, braw.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    One question Robin, do you get focus peaking with the XT-1 and the 28mm attached via the adapter? With the Nikon 100 E attached I don't seem to get any peaking even though it is set to ON and RED. Still easy enough to focus with that big bright EVF, though.

Thanks and regards,
    Pete
    I get focus peaking with any lens when I switch the camera to MF. I have the viewfinder set to split view so the 100% bit shows the peaking at the selected focus point and the main area is clear. I have the rear screen set to show focus peaking over the entire image.

Real Name
    Ted

I get focus peaking with any lens when I switch the camera to MF. I have the viewfinder set to split view so the 100% bit shows the peaking at the selected focus point and the main area is clear. I have the rear screen set to show focus peaking over the entire image.

Almost makes me wonder why I keep struggling on with my Sigmas which have none of the above . . .

Real Name
    Pete

Ah ha! I never actually flick the XT-1 over to manual mode with a legacy lens as it is a manual lens so I just turn away.
    Thanks for the tip, Robin, and yes I do have focus peaking when I switch the body to MF.

Regards,

Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12