Thread: The CN Tower and it's moods.

Real Name
    John

The CN Tower and it's moods.

Not really moods I suppose but different viewpoints. Just got back from three weeks in Canada and loved every minute of it despite the fact that apparently, it was the hottest September ever. Spent about a week all told in Toronto. It's a modern vibrant city full of interesting architecture and amazing spaces. Despite the fact that you feel like you are walking in canyons between the high rise buildings, one structure dominates and so not surprisingly, it has featured quite a lot in the images I brought back. These are some of my takes on it. Hope you approve. Comments very welcome.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: The CN Tower and it's moods.

All are really nice. The fourth one is magical.

Real Name
    Jean

Nicely shot, my preferred # 1 and particularly # 6 .... though # 4 is not bad too

Real Name
    Maurice

John, great series, 6 for me.

The last one, John, was obviously a tricky shot but for me it has turned out to be the best of the bunch.

The first image is technically good but with all that plain blue sky it seems just a bit on the bland side. A few nice clouds would have made all the difference.

Just a thought, how about cropping to something like 5 x 4 ratio to lose a bit from the sides which would show off the height a bit better?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nicely done series, John.

September was certainly a bit warmer than usual for this part of the world, but that means I got to wear shorts for a few more weeks than usual this year. I grew up in Toronto and was in my last years of high school when they started building the CN Tower but had left Toronto to attend university before it was completed.

I remember one of the complexities of the design required a continuous pour approach to pouring the concrete, so that went on 24/7. There were some special agreements that were involved in the construction that provided for a guarantee of no work stoppages during that phase of construction.

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for the comments. They were all basically straightforward holiday shots taken as we walked around the city except for no.4 which has had some PP (It's my favourite as well). Can't really take credit for the last one. It was inspired by a picture on the wall of the hotel room we had in downtown Toronto (of a different scene). When I looked out of the window, that's the view I saw and thought the same treatment would work.

Geoff, 5x4 would work but I wanted to capture the whole breadth of the Toronto water front. It is impressive but even at 18mm, I couldn't include all of it (from the island ferry).

Manfred, a bit warmer? Having left the UK trying to reach the high teens, we walked around in 34 degrees for five days in what the Canadian weather service described as "feels like 38 degrees". My description was sight seeing in a microwave oven. But as I say, loved every minute of it. The Tower is impressive. We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary in the restaurant at the viewing level but I couldn't persuade Sue to do the outside walk - and of course, I wasn't going to do it unless she held my hand.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent set of images and i really love 3D framing which i rarely use now a days

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    They were all basically straightforward holiday shots
    Sometimes we forget that straightforward holiday shots in the hands of so many people here at CiC are so superior to the typical tourist's straightforward holiday shots. Your photos in this series are a good example of that superior quality.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Manfred, a bit warmer? Having left the UK trying to reach the high teens, we walked around in 34 degrees for five days in what the Canadian weather service described as "feels like 38 degrees". My description was sight seeing in a microwave oven. But as I say, loved every minute of it. The Tower is impressive. We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary in the restaurant at the viewing level but I couldn't persuade Sue to do the outside walk - and of course, I wasn't going to do it unless she held my hand.
    A former work colleague did the walk. He definitely suggested it is not something for the faint hearted. I personally have an issue in paying a large amount of money to do something that does little more than scare the %&@* out of me, regardless of who is holding my hand.

The view at this time of year is not great, especially on those humid and hazy late summer days. In the late winter (March) you can see Niagara Falls from the tower (at least the mist rising from the falls). I always found it a bit strange sitting in the restaurant and watching the airplanes landing below at the Toronto Island Airport.

Regardless, I'm glad you had a great trip!

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice set John, my favs are #4 and #6

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Very nice set John, my favs are #4 and #6
    I agree.

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Joe

Great series! #4 and 5 are my faves.

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for the continued comment.

Manfred, the walk obviously was never on the cards although I teased my other half with it but until your comment, I no idea that the privilege costs so much. Just looked at the Web Site and the price is more frightening than the event.
    Last edited by John 2; 27th September 2016 at 07:44 PM.