Thread: Newbie and grieving death of Aperture

Real Name
    Ken

Newbie and grieving death of Aperture

Yes, I was so looking forward to purchasing Aperture and then Apple withdrew it. Now I'm waiting for ON1 to release their RAW converter, which I will use with Apple's big disappointment, Photo. Guess I will have to continue with my Nikon DF's in-camera pre-processing and Jpegs until then. This is a super group on this forum, from my first impressions! Glad to be here.

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Newbie and grieving death of Aperture

Welcome to CiC!

As one who has been where you are, I'd suggest you take a look at Serif's Affinity Photo, which can be used with Apple's "big disappointment". I don't use Apple Photos but do use Affinity and it's a great editor at a great price. If you want to try it, go to the Affinity web site where you can get a free trial - something that you can't obtain from the Apple app store.

Real Name
    Robin

Try Lightroom, its as close to Aperture as you'll get and to be honest I feel a bit better. Oddly enough I had kept Aperture on my system until a week ago but when I was having a clear out I noticed it hadn't been used in over two years so it went in the trash.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Welcome to CiC. If you wouldn't mind clicking on the "My Profile" button at the top of this page and at least filling in your first name and where you are from, that would be very much appreciated. We are a fairly informal group here at CiC and go about on a first name basis.

I cannot comment on the OnOne product, but I tend to be a bit leery of new products and their performance, so I would probably be a bit cautious with it. As you shoot Nikon, the raw converter (View NX-i?) would get you into using raw data quite easily without having to spend any money. So far as I know, it and the more advanced Capture NX-D are available in iOS versions.

When Apple dropped Aperture most people went one of two ways. Adobe Lightroom and Phase One Capture One for the people that did not want to go the Adobe route.

Real Name
    Bill

As far as I can tell, Manfred is spot on with the comment that most Aperture refugees have gone Lightroom or Capture One. If he wants to jump ship entirely then the best advice would probably be to download a free trial version of each of those and try it for himself.

However, it seems that the OP is looking at sticking with Apple photos in which case based solely on the posts I have seen on the Affinity Photo forum + my own experience in using it as an external editor (with Capture One and, long ago, Aperture) I'd suggest checking out Affinity as a complement to Apple's Photos.

However, the most important part of the above is to try it for himself (or herself ...). I had two separate trials of Lightroom and did not like it one bit, but the fact is that it's the market leader in numbers and has lots of happy users (including Robin).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    As far as I can tell, Manfred is spot on with the comment that most Aperture refugees have gone Lightroom or Capture One. If he wants to jump ship entirely then the best advice would probably be to download a free trial version of each of those and try it for himself.

However, it seems that the OP is looking at sticking with Apple photos in which case based solely on the posts I have seen on the Affinity Photo forum + my own experience in using it as an external editor (with Capture One and, long ago, Aperture) I'd suggest checking out Affinity as a complement to Apple's Photos.

However, the most important part of the above is to try it for himself (or herself ...). I had two separate trials of Lightroom and did not like it one bit, but the fact is that it's the market leader in numbers and has lots of happy users (including Robin).
    Bill - I was merely suggesting some alternatives that are well known and used by a lot of people, especially as he is looking at the updated OnOne release.

I am personally not a fan of Lightroom, but use it so that I can help others with it. I have been using Adobe Bridge for a long time and as I use other Adobe software (Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Indesign, etc.), the common workflow approach that Bridge offers simply works a lot better for me.

I have started using Capture One and my initial reaction is that the raw converter is a bit better than Adobe's. This view seems to be shared by quite a number of photographers, but Capture One is aimed at a slightly different demographic than Lightroom (i.e. the professional publishing side of photography), so it has a number of quirks related to that part of photography (i.e. a very strong adherence to publishing industry standards).

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by miatab View Post
    Yes, I was so looking forward to purchasing Aperture and then Apple withdrew it. Now I'm waiting for ON1 to release their RAW converter, which I will use with Apple's big disappointment, Photo. Guess I will have to continue with my Nikon DF's in-camera pre-processing and Jpegs until then. This is a super group on this forum, from my first impressions! Glad to be here.
    I get good results with Capture 1

Real Name
    Bill

Manfred - I understood that that was your intent. I was trying to add some balance to my comments and not put the OP off at least looking at LR, and the reference to your post seemed a good way to do that.

I agree with what you say about C1's RAW converter, and that was one of the things that influenced me. The other was that it did a much better job than LR (or any of the others I tried) in converting my Aperture library.

Real Name
    Ken

Thanks for all the replies/advice, guys. Busy getting our Casita ready to visit Birch Bay for a week, so I'll think about all this stuff on my return.