Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is SWAY?

Real Name
    Richard

What is SWAY?

I just opened my computer and a program named SWAY appeared and stated, Guess What? We have put your best photos in an album,

So I deleted the album and then uninstalled Sway

Real Name
    Dan

Re: What is SWAY?

Doesn't sound promising, Richard

Real Name
    Richard

Now I have a section called ACTION CENTER at the right of my monitor screen. It has a lot of useless (for me) crap that I certainly don't need like "airplane mode". Honestly for my desktop computer Is this the S_ _ T that I can expect from Microsoft with Windows 10

Real Name
    Ken

You might need airplane mode next time you take your desktop computer with you on holiday. Would make the seating in cattle class a bit cramped!

Real Name
    Richard

But... Cattle Class is all that I can afford

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Richard,

SWAY is a presentation app in Win 10, kinda like Powerpoint. Ah think it's one of Microsoft's better apps. Ye can create presentations, reports, newsletters etc., all cloud based. Given yer involvement in yer rescue dog association, ah think yer mebbe a wee bit pre-emptive in deleting it, as it may be advantageous tae you particularly. Secondly, Action Centre is a handy bit of software, with a number of tasks at hand which used tae take several mouse clicks and folder finding in the past.Ye can also switch off some of Microsoft's "nanny state", like UAC, for example. Ah'd give them both a second look...

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    Hi Richard,

SWAY is a presentation app in Win 10, kinda like Powerpoint. Ah think it's one of Microsoft's better apps. Ye can create presentations, reports, newsletters etc., all cloud based. Given yer involvement in yer rescue dog association, ah think yer mebbe a wee bit pre-emptive in deleting it, as it may be advantageous tae you particularly. Secondly, Action Centre is a handy bit of software, with a number of tasks at hand which used tae take several mouse clicks and folder finding in the past.Ye can also switch off some of Microsoft's "nanny state", like UAC, for example. Ah'd give them both a second look...
    Tao2,

Can you tell me why win10 is so much cloud based? Not only win10, many other programs like ps. Is this a way to bind you to microsoft,google, apple,ps etc?? Getting easily access to the content in any way?
    Though it might seem to give me some advantages I don't like others to tell me to use a cloud where I don't have control over. And using all kind of apps I don't know what they're doing. I'm allready loosing control over my pc.

George

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Tao2,

Can you tell me why win10 is so much cloud based? Not only win10, many other programs like ps. Is this a way to bind you to microsoft,google, apple,ps etc?? Getting easily access to the content in any way?
    Though it might seem to give me some advantages I don't like others to tell me to use a cloud where I don't have control over. And using all kind of apps I don't know what they're doing. I'm allready loosing control over my pc.

George
    Photoshop isn't cloud based. You can access extra content or share your own content via the cloud but those are extras that come with it that you can chose to use or not. I for instance don't use others content not do I share mine with others - I do use the sync facility in Lightroom to connect my iPhone and iMac but that is something I had to actively sign into and if I signed out the content would still be there on my own devices.

I don't get this "I'm losing control over my PC" train of thought.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Photoshop isn't cloud based. You can access extra content or share your own content via the cloud but those are extras that come with it that you can chose to use or not. I for instance don't use others content not do I share mine with others - I do use the sync facility in Lightroom to connect my iPhone and iMac but that is something I had to actively sign into and if I signed out the content would still be there on my own devices.

I don't get this "I'm losing control over my PC" train of thought.
    Richard starts using win10 and without asking the os starts with a preference for the cloud. He never asked for that.

When I buy a new pc or cell phone it's full of apps meant to make life easy for me. I never asked for it. Why should I use an app, a stand alone prog, to bring me to a certain website?????

Picasaweb doesn't exist anymore. Google want's us to uses Google+ at first and now Google Photo's. I tried to figure out what that means. I get lost. I think Google preferres me to use an app.

A few years ago I opened an account on Flickr to try things out. Never used it and tried to use it now. It says it doesn't recognise the device from which I try to log in.

I can go on with this.

George

Real Name
    Yes

The cloud is a way for big data to make money - and find out just what you have.

If you need cloud a suitable device connected to the web gives you full control over what what is accessable by you over the web, and whats not, and all unseen by hosting companies.

However airplane mode is useful - if you don't need to access the web - and all those notifications of updates and so on whilst you just want to get on with image editing - airplane is a switch that turns off wi fi, simple

Real Name
    John

It's because PC's do things and interfaces change when there is no user control Robin. It didn't ask about loading Richard's shot's into some application or the other it just did it. People also get used to a certain way of working and often don't like that being interfered with. I'm as bad on Linux. I still keep links handy on the desktop and bar. I could have activities probably AKA actions, came long time ago but don't have to use them so don't.

Must admit I didn't like the way win 10 came. It was set up for doing a number of things I generally don't do and little for what I actually do on a PC. The only reason I bought it and the lap top that it is on is because my one with Vista on it was getting a bit long in the tooth and rather cranky but it was set up for what I do. Win10 - well I hardly ever use the machine, just maybe a few times a year. Interesting area. Going on people I know this is all tending to get them to switch to mac.

Can't understand why you should have problems with Flickr George. I don't even on Linux. All sorts of oddities a while ago but none of late. They even seem to allow more browsers to work now but keep suggesting I should switch to Firefox. I mostly use a downgraded version of Chrome or a Linux browser.

John
    -

Real Name
    Brian

Sway is basically free power point. For bloggers students teachers or someone who does collaboration work it can be useful.

Real Name
    Remco

From my point of view, what SWAY is or isn't is not all that important.

What I do find important in Richard's opening post is that a program acted on my data without my permission. If that album was just created on a local disk, that's one thing. But nothing guarantees that a next time, it isn't created on a remote server with public access

New possibilities can be good. E.g. the 'activities' under linux John mentioned (would that be with KDE/Plasma?). But that's giving you as a new and different way of doing things, it's not forced upon you with you having to spend effort to get rid of it. I do not like having to spend time and energy to get rid of something I never even asked for (and there's a good chance I'll never look again at a program that acts like SWAY does, probably not what the creator intended)

Real Name
    John

That's correct Remco. I took one look at it and thought oh they have more or less put a desktop in it's own window and called it something else. It's interesting that win seem to have done something similar. The people at home have switched to Mac's. I'm lost on those but they seem to have retained a more traditional feel to them. My wife for certain has fewer problems and doesn't manage to create as many either. Hardly any at all.

I am a bad pc user though. My desktop does get cluttered and I have learned to only have links to folders that contain things that I want to keep in them - just in case I delete one by mistake when I clean it up. It's easy to miss that one is highlighted when selecting lots with cntrl right click.

John
    -

Real Name
    Robin

Richard starts using win10 and without asking the os starts with a preference for the cloud. He never asked for that.

When I buy a new pc or cell phone it's full of apps meant to make life easy for me. I never asked for it. Why should I use an app, a stand alone prog, to bring me to a certain website?????

Picasaweb doesn't exist anymore. Google want's us to uses Google+ at first and now Google Photo's. I tried to figure out what that means. I get lost. I think Google preferres me to use an app.

A few years ago I opened an account on Flickr to try things out. Never used it and tried to use it now. It says it doesn't recognise the device from which I try to log in.

I can go on with this.

George
    I'll come at it from my experience then.

I own an iPhone, an iPad, an iMac and an Apple Watch and by there very nature they are both smart (ish) and connected. When I take photographs with my iPhone (I do this every day) they automatically populated via cloud based interconnections onto the other devices so are there whenever I want them. They are GPS tagged so I can map out where they were taken, search by location and make location based notes should I want to go back with a 'proper' camera. If there is a face, typically the missus or the bairns, the software will see it, typically know who the person is and add the photo to the appropriate smart album so I can search by person. That is before the ability to share photographs directly on social media, via text, email and via countless other applications - that interconnection isn't something I feel is wrong - it is at the very core of my reasoning for buying such devices.

I am typing this on the Mac at the moment, my iPhone is in another room but the text my mum just sent popped up, I read it, responded and went back to replying - adding this to my response. That is frankly a brilliant bit of cloud based interconnection and I didn't have to do anything - it just works.

I took a few images for a friend recently and after I ran them through Lightroom pushed them to Lightroom Mobile so I could pop round and let him see the results. Why? Because he is a photographer too and I knew would want to tweak them a bit - we did on my iPad and when I got back to the Mac the desktop version of Lightroom had the updated images - AND - the history of changes we had made still in an editable form. Why would I possibly not want such cloud based interconnection.

They are some of my experiences, cloud based interactions form part of my every day whether it be photography, communications, notes, reminders, the ability to set my Sky box to record something while I'm not at home or the ability to turn my central heating on as I'm travelling home so the house is toasty when I get in.

Isn't life fantastic.

Real Name
    Charles

Yes, life is fantastic, for those who want all this. But many of us don't! And that's the point.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by charzes44 View Post
    Yes, life is fantastic, for those who want all this. But many of us don't! And that's the point.
    if you don't like what W 10 offers don't use it.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Now I have a section called ACTION CENTER at the right of my monitor screen. It has a lot of useless (for me) crap that I certainly don't need like "airplane mode". Honestly for my desktop computer Is this the S_ _ T that I can expect from Microsoft with Windows 10?
    I'd say "yes".

Based on what I've read here, Microshaft is getting more into installing stuff unannounced - whether you like it or not. Witness Windows 10 showing up on Win 7 computers, requiring extreme knowledge to prevent that and no clear instructions how to revert after the fatal error, IIRC.

If I wasn't so old I would likely have moved to Linux long ago, grump.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I'll come at it from my experience then.

I own an iPhone, an iPad, an iMac and an Apple Watch and by there very nature they are both smart (ish) and connected. When I take photographs with my iPhone (I do this every day) they automatically populated via cloud based interconnections onto the other devices so are there whenever I want them. They are GPS tagged so I can map out where they were taken, search by location and make location based notes should I want to go back with a 'proper' camera. If there is a face, typically the missus or the bairns, the software will see it, typically know who the person is and add the photo to the appropriate smart album so I can search by person. That is before the ability to share photographs directly on social media, via text, email and via countless other applications - that interconnection isn't something I feel is wrong - it is at the very core of my reasoning for buying such devices.

I am typing this on the Mac at the moment, my iPhone is in another room but the text my mum just sent popped up, I read it, responded and went back to replying - adding this to my response. That is frankly a brilliant bit of cloud based interconnection and I didn't have to do anything - it just works.

I took a few images for a friend recently and after I ran them through Lightroom pushed them to Lightroom Mobile so I could pop round and let him see the results. Why? Because he is a photographer too and I knew would want to tweak them a bit - we did on my iPad and when I got back to the Mac the desktop version of Lightroom had the updated images - AND - the history of changes we had made still in an editable form. Why would I possibly not want such cloud based interconnection.

They are some of my experiences, cloud based interactions form part of my every day whether it be photography, communications, notes, reminders, the ability to set my Sky box to record something while I'm not at home or the ability to turn my central heating on as I'm travelling home so the house is toasty when I get in.

Isn't life fantastic.
    You're talking about the ease of use. I'm talking about my privacy. And they conflict.

George

Real Name
    Robin

You're talking about the ease of use. I'm talking about my privacy. And they conflict.

George
    We're talking about the same thing.

I embrace interconnectivity and cloud interactions and the ability of modern operating systems to talk to each other across multiple devices and suggest scenarios and connect to services and share the data I allow them to and ultimately connect me to the world at large ultimately enriching the experience I have with them and my life in general.

You seem to mistrust it all.

I'm not saying either of us are right or wrong but I will say if anyone is going to buy a modern device running a modern operating systems then they are going to have to understand they are no longer stand alone.....the world has moved on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast