Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wacom Graphire 3 Pen Tablet

Real Name
    Richard

Wacom Graphire 3 Pen Tablet

I was given a small Wacom Graphire-3 Pen and Tablet which looks like it is in pretty good shape.

This is an older tablet; the CD which comes with it says it is designed for use with Windows XP. However, I can download a driver from the Wacom Site.

Is this worth setting up with my new Dell computer, BenQ monitor and Photoshop CC running under Windows 10

There is a lot of stuff in Photoshop CC in which I think a tablet would be more helpful than using a mouse

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Wacom Graphire 3 Pen Tablet

Speaking generally ...

Assuming it plugs in via USB (without a converter from an old serial port), you could just try plugging it in and see if it starts working (after waiting for Windows 10 to install a suitable driver).

If Windows 10 doesn't 'see' it, then it may be necessary to install a driver first from Wacom - however, I doubt you'll find a Windows 10 one, you may have to try a Windows 8 (or 8.1) version to see if that works.

Be very wary of getting drivers from other sites, they may contain malicious code, so stick to Wacom for support - might even be worth asking them if you don't get any joy.

Good luck, Dave

Tablets and Pens are very useful for serious editing work, Richard. Particularly when brushing to edit a mask etc or create a selection around an object. I use the Wacom Intuos tablet all the time when working on photos, although I sometimes revert to an old fashioned mouse for some text work etc.

Real Name
    Richard

I was able to set this up with my computer but, the small tablet is really too tiny for my uses. I keep getting to the end of the tablet screen before I complete my selection etc...

I purchased a refurbished Wacom Intous Pro Medium Tablet from eBay. At $249 U.S. Dollars with free shipping, this price was less than many used tablets of that type. I received a one year warranty which no used tablet would offer. The seller has a 98.7 reliability for many thousand purchases.

Phlearn has a very decent intro video on the use of a tablet. I like being able to configure one of the buttons on the pen for my use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTBjcuyhmq0

Since I have a new computer, new monitor and have opted for the Photoshop CC, I decided to go all the way and get the tablet and pen setup.

Real Name
    Denny

I also have a medium Wacom Tablet and find that it works very well with Bridge and Photoshop. I do use the Wacom mouse as much or more than the pen however. I haven't found out how to right-click with the pen so use the mouse when right-clicks are needed.............

Real Name
    John

If it works go for it, always good to have some backup connection when your main computer is bogged down updating.