Thread: On1-Raw replacing On1-10 or not?.

Real Name
    Philippe

On1-Raw replacing On1-10 or not?.

Dear all,
    I have a registered On1 v10 and am happy with it (together with LR and Nikon Raw processor for handling first the Raw pictures). Now I get a mass of mails about their next software On1 Raw, that looks like the previous one with many improvements together with its purpose as a RAW processor. Now I ask you if this new software will replace the previous PP software or eventually only complete it, e.g. will we see an On1 v11, v12 etc in the future or not? I did not clearly understand this point through the mails I received up to now.
    Thanks a lot to everyone able to clarify this point.
    PhilT

Real Name
    Dan

Re: On1-Raw replacing On1-10 or not?.

As I understand it, yes, On1 RAW will replace v10. However it is not a free upgrade. There is a reduced price to upgrade vs buying outright. You can go to their website and read the FAQs.

Real Name
    Richard

I have ordered On1 RAW and have been using On1 since version 7.

Nice thing about On1 is that the upgrades are very simple to accomplish (I have had some extreme problems with Adobe updates in the past) and you have the option of keeping the previous edition of On1 alive on your computer. The advantage of this is if you like something on the old edition that is not included on the new edition.

On1 also has a customer service which really gives you service. This is not always the thing with Adobe customer maybe-service.

I have also purchased a year's worth of Adobe CC. I will see if I like the new On1 RAW enough to stop using Adobe CC or if I will keep and use both of them...

Richard

Real Name
    Philippe

Thanks for the answers. I didn't wanted to upgrade so soon, didn't realized that On1 Raw IS the v10 upgrade. Now the question is: is it worth to upgrade now or wait and see?

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    ...wait and see?
    IMO yes wait. Changing your method of RAW conversion will surely change workflow. No small thing. Try the free demo first.

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I have ordered On1 RAW and have been using On1 since version 7.

Nice thing about On1 is that the upgrades are very simple to accomplish (I have had some extreme problems with Adobe updates in the past) and you have the option of keeping the previous edition of On1 alive on your computer. The advantage of this is if you like something on the old edition that is not included on the new edition.

On1 also has a customer service which really gives you service. This is not always the thing with Adobe customer maybe-service.

I have also purchased a year's worth of Adobe CC. I will see if I like the new On1 RAW enough to stop using Adobe CC or if I will keep and use both of them...

Richard
    If I understood well, On1-Raw will be a concurrent to LR as It will work in non destructive process, I like On1-10 I think I'll like On1-Raw.
    If I'm wrong let me know I'll be less stupid

Real Name
    Russell

Most everything you need to no is here https://www.on1.com/blog/qa-with-dan...tm_content=nav
    Way I see it this is on1's answer to Lightroom not a replacment of On1 Photo 10.
    Russ

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the link, Russ.

Having read through the material, I see the new product as nearest to Photoshop.

It has Browse (Bridge), the RAW editor (ACR) and what we currently call On1 Photo 10 (Photoshop "proper", including On1's equivalent of Smart Layers)

Of course there are differences in functionality, but I'm pretty sure that's the architecture.

Personally, I won't be buying it. I shoot in RAW, and my workflow is based around Lightroom, with a round trip to DxO if I'm not happy with Lightroom's RAW conversion. I use Photo 10 as a plugin for the things Lightroom can't do.

Dave

Real Name
    Philippe

Thanks Russel for the link: "https://www.on1.com/blog/qa-with-dan...tm_content=nav
    Way I see it this is on1's answer to Lightroom not a replacement of On1 Photo 10.
    Russ".
    I went there and there are many interesting questions but few answers. Someone asked the very same question as I did, but I did not find an answer But my feeling is that indeed On1 Raw is replacing On1 Photo10.5, as Dan quoted before.
    It could be very useful to have an independent comparison between LR and On1 Raw. Is there already one (I understand that CiC is not doing this kind of stuff)?
    Thanks a lot for everyone taking time to help .
    PhilT

Real Name
    Jean

If you have "Plus membership" of On 1 products, in their Q&A I found:
    Will I Get ON1 Photo Raw as part of my Plus membership?

Yes. As long as you are a “current member” of Plus, you will get whatever updates and new versions of the ON1 apps that come out.

Real Name
    Jean

To understand how works On 1 RAw, I suggest you to follow this link https://www.on1.com/free-ebook/?utm_...utm_source=All
    PS : I'm just a user, I have no attach to this company

Real Name
    Dan

I have been VERY disappointed thus far with On1 RAW. So much so that I am not using it at all. It is so buggy and does not contain some of the most useful masking tools that were in previous versions that I was accustomed to using. Historically I have been a strong proponent of On1. But currently I recommend sticking with prior versions until they get issues corrected and enhance the tool set.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I have the On1 RAW program as I have been very happy with all the previous iterations. I am not so pleased with the On1 raw processor at this time. I find it introduces a cross hatch sort of texture to my images particularly in blue skies that I do not find in my ACR conversions. It is subtle and only seen when at 100x when adjusting sharpening or denoising but it is there in my images. So, I am now using it as a plug-in to Elements as I did in the past. And, for those purposes it is better than PE 10. One can now adjust each part of a stack in Perfect Effects without leaving that layer and returning. All the layers are adjustable at any time. This is a nice advantage. There are nice things about the raw set up. One can do local as well as general adjustments, a feature that is absent in my Elements home base. Similar to Lightroom, I imagine. But, until they get a cleaner background texture, I am not going to bother with the On1 raw conversion for now.