Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go next?

Real Name
    Viv

Where to go next?

Hello ...as a novice I believe have have almost mastered my trusty Nikon D3100 ... and achieved the odd photo which I like even if nobody else does I have now made the leap of faith and don't tend to shoot in AUTO. I like taking images of most subjects ...landscape, animals, people, buildings ..and have no real desire to focus on any specific style.

I have a few Nikon lenses and so want to stay with Nikon, but my question is where to go next? I was thinking about a D5300/5500 and from a budget perspective thought the D5300 would be a better buy. Then again with Christmas coming along I thought I could treat myself and go D7200.

Every time I sit down and try and decide on a particular model ...I end up changing my mind ...so any advice welcome. I thought I was indecisive ..but now I just don't know

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Where to go next?

First question Viv - If you feel you have almost mastered the D3100 and are just moving off Auto ...... Why do you want to change the camera?

What is it you want from a new camera body that you cannot get or do with the D3100?

ps - It's great to have you here, I hope you enjoy being part of the forum.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd September 2016 at 10:05 AM.

Real Name
    Robin

Until you can quantify and put clearly into words how your current camera is actually holding you back then I would stick with it and keep learning.

The D5xxx and the D7xxx bodies do offer more in the way of features but you don't need them you might just be throwing money away.

Real Name
    John

Hi Viv,

You would only get a few enhancements moving from 3100 to 5500 or even 7200, some users of those cameras will tell you otherwise. I've tried both the 3200 and 5200 and didn't feel much was improved, what really made the difference was the lens used and I saw a drastic improvement on both cameras based on the glass used. I've used a 50mm 1.8/D but the lens that really made the difference for me was the 85mm f/1.8. If you have the opportunity, try a few lenses on the 3100 before moving to a new body.

Real Name
    Viv

Good question ...I guess the answer is to try to get better images. For instance taking moving objects - like with my dog agility / wildlife (birds of prey) - the active focusing is better(?) with more focal points, and higher shutter speed and fps. I also take pictures inside buildings and believe a higher ISO would improve the shots. AE bracketing would be useful as the D3100 does not have this feature. Improved sensor / pixel and colour depth etc I assume would let me get better images. I maybe reading too much into all the specifications and stuff ...but then I am easily led .

Real Name
    Bill

Viv, along with countless others, I've been down that road. My experiences have led to the following conclusions:

You can take great photos using your phone

If you are treating photography as a serious hobby then of course you will want something that can do things that a phone can't. You are clearly on that track, and are probably wise to stick with the brand that you are used to.

So what may you want in the DSLR move-up? There are basically only 3 things to consider: the electronics (the D in DLSR), the glass (the L in DSLR), and the "how you make it work" things.

Within the 3 you mention, the D7200 has the best electronics but at a price. If you shoot (or want to shoot) movies you may prefer one of the D5XXX models since they have a tilt screen. My first significant move up was from a D3200 to a D7100, they both use the same sensor and while I preferred the D7100 it was not because of image quality, as there was no difference.

All three will take current and recent Nikon lenses (and those from good quality third parties), which means that your choice of body is not important in regard to the glass.

All of which leaves us at "how you make it work" and similar things. First thing I'd do is go to a camera store and hold one, and not just a 30 second lift up of the one tied down to the display. Your hand size is going to affect how comfortable it feels as the 3 bodies have different "shapes" in the hand grip region. They also have different weights. For me, the grip and weight of the D7100 was a step forward but not all users agree. Next is not going to be easy for you - you say you are looking to move from "Auto" (and good for you!) but that opens another potential Pandora's box, as the D5xxx models are more menu driven than the D7XXX. The ability to select what you wanted without cycling through menus was a BIG plus to me for the D7100 over the D3200, but YMMV of course. If you are looking at value for money, and are happy with menu-driven setting selections, I'd seriously consider choosing one of the lower cost D5XXX models (or even a D3400) and using the money saved over the D7200 to buy a decent lens (or 2).

Next, is go to a site such as flickr and look at posts in the Nikon D5300, 5500, and 7200 groups, and reflect for a time ...

Finally go to a few web sites and look at what's available in second hand bodies for the 3 models. I have purchased and been unreservedly delighted with goods from Wex and Ffordes ... and you'll save a packet.

Good luck - and if you look at my signature you'll see I have traded the D7100 for a D750 but that's a whole other story ...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

No, you're not reading too much into the specs. The question is - do you need to go there YET.

We always think (and, yes, I've been there as well) that a new camera will definitely improve our photography. Buy you wrote an interesting thing. You wrote - "...and achieved the odd photo which I like...". I would say that the time when you need a new body (and you will if you want to develop as a photographer), is when you are saying to yourself - 'I am consistently making high quality images and, now, the camera I have got is limiting my development as a photographer. I'm ready to move on to the next level.'

Because great images are not made by the camera, but by the photographer, the camera you've got just now is capable of helping you make great images. Yes, it will limit you once your skill levels start to get to a more advanced stage.

Don't not get a new body if that's what you want and what you can afford. But think seriously about truly becoming the master of the equipment that you have now before deciding what you want next.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd September 2016 at 11:10 AM.

Real Name
    Dave

Viv, this is all excellent advice. On the other hand, if you want to treat yourself to a new camera for Christmas - well, why not , if you go down the 7200 route you won't NEED a new body for a very long time.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Viv,

I moved from a D5000 to a D7100 and the usability increases were significant; as you say, it gives 1/8000s (which I do use occasionally), also the faster fps (ditto), not to mention a host of other things, like very quick access to change things via two control wheels in combination with a few more buttons and top LCD for settings view. The exception being that I lost the tilting LCD screen, which I really, really miss for framing in Live View when the camera is held down low, held up high, or just on a tripod (sob)

Therefore, I am considering moving to a D500, when I feel I can justify it - I don't currently shoot enough, although a new Grand-daughter is helping out there!

I always considered the D3xxx range as too compromised on features and usability for me, that's why I went straight to the D5000, so having moved on again already, I'd recommend the D7200, or even (if your birthday is near Christmas and there's someone to treat you), a D500 IF you are serious. I love spending other people's money

Being serious, it would help if we knew which lenses you have, because it is true that the lenses are more important to image quality (IQ) than the camera body and as someone has already suggested, that may make a bigger improvement.

That said, I rate better ergonomics higher than some other members, so we're all different.

Welcome to the forums, Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

When I upgraded my camera body six years ago, I did so for one reason. It doesn't matter for the purpose of the discussion what that reason was but it is important to know that it had to do with a capability that made it possible to capture images I could not have gotten using my earlier camera. If you have just one similar reason to upgrade and can justify the expense, my wholehearted recommendation is to do it.

Similarly, if you could make photos using manual methods that can't be made using auto methods, by all means learn how to use those manual methods. Otherwise, don't feel the pressure to stop using your auto methods.

Viv - The one thing that helped me get off 'auto' was getting a manual lens that would work on my body. A manual lens will cause you to 'think' more when taking the picture. At least it does for me. If your present camera can use manual lenses (I'm not sure if it can or can't) I'd suggest getting a cheap one and using it exclusively for a while. Doing that may show up deficiencies in your present body and you'll be better informed as to what you want/need/desire in your next one.

Strictly as background my digital legacy has been CoolPix 995, D80, D7000, Sony Nex-7, Sony A7ii. This over the course of 25 yrs or so.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by wibble View Post
    Hello ...as a novice I believe have have almost mastered my trusty Nikon D3100 ... and achieved the odd photo which I like even if nobody else does I have now made the leap of faith and don't tend to shoot in AUTO. I like taking images of most subjects ...landscape, animals, people, buildings ..and have no real desire to focus on any specific style.

I have a few Nikon lenses and so want to stay with Nikon, but my question is where to go next? I was thinking about a D5300/5500 and from a budget perspective thought the D5300 would be a better buy. Then again with Christmas coming along I thought I could treat myself and go D7200.

Every time I sit down and try and decide on a particular model ...I end up changing my mind ...so any advice welcome. I thought I was indecisive ..but now I just don't know
    For the past few years I have been a member here. People tell me I have improved dramatically (which doesn't make me ojne of the top shooters here just really better than I was). But my better shooting did not come from a better camera. It came from seeking and listening to advice from this group. Eventually I found myself smacking up against the limitations of my gear on a consistent basis.

I asked about which way to go with an upgrade and eventually got a Sony that answered my needs and would allow me to expand.

When I once again found myself hitting the wall I added a lens.

Your post states that you are just getting into manual? That being the case there might be a lot more potential in the gear you already have?

But we all follow our own path. This is a great place to get good information on upgrades to your equipment.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Aah...that old want/need scenario, there's never a day goes by that I don't see that question.
    Just for grins...show us a picture that your camera cannot take with aplomb.

Real Name
    Philip

My advice is that life is too short for "waiting until" so treat yourself to the best you can afford now, while you can afford it. As you already have some lenses, go for the D7200 and, as you have mastered the controls of your D3100, you will soon find your way around the new model and appreciate its extra capabilities.
    Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Dan

Viv, I'll leave the philosophical arguments/advice to others. From a functional standpoint there's not much difference from 3xxx to 5xxx. If you really want improved features in the camera body it makes most sense to jump to the D7100/7200. The D7200 is an excellent camera with many pro features. But the only real advantage it has over the D7100 is the larger buffer and arguably a half stop or so better ISO performance. You could likely pick up a lightly used D7100 for less than the cost of a new D5xxx. I own three pro level bodies and regularly shoot the D7200 as a second body on important shoots. If you go that route it will likely do everything you need out of it for years.

Real Name
    John

Action shots were mentioned. My belief is that focus speed may be more dependent on the lens than the camera but both play a part as focusing capabilities vary, eg tracking etc and I understand some cameras do focus more slowly than others. Not something I have noticed with any I have owned. In the action area the ability to shoot bursts can be useful as well. Bracketing in my view is of limited use. I'd rather do it via the viewfinder by hand than reprogram the camera.

John
    -

Real Name
    Paul David

This hobby can get expensive fast. When you do finally decide and purchase the D7200 then Nikon will come out with something new and you will wish you had waited.

Just my thoughts.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    This hobby can get expensive fast. When you do finally decide and purchase the D7200 then Nikon will come out with something new and you will wish you had waited...
    With rare exception(e.g. the long awaited D500) I don't buy latest release cameras. By purchasing the previous/outgoing generation one can take advantage of sale pricing and still get more/better technology than one is likely to fully utilize. Doing it that way also allows time for any design/manufacturing flaws with new models to be sorted out. I do realize that while this philosophy works for photographers it likely won't satisfy the serious technophile.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    By purchasing the previous/outgoing generation one can take advantage of sale pricing and still get more/better technology than one is likely to fully utilize.
    For example, for Canon users who aspire to go to a full-frame body, there are going to be good prices going on 5DIIIs now that the IV is launched. And of course the 5DIII has not stopped being a superb camera just because the IV is launched.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

When I made my most recent purchase of a camera body, I told a friend that I wouldn't need another one for at least five years. She told me in an endearing way that I was full of ____. I reminded her of her comment a few months ago, which was six years after I bought the camera. I still have no desire for a more recent model.

For me, it's all about using a camera that meets my most important needs and my current equipment does that. I have plans to buy a lens soon that will make it possible to make photos that can't be made with my current equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast