Thread: Abstract architecture

Real Name
    Mark

Abstract architecture

Took this in Londpon - National Art Gallery, the stairwell, its pretty much monochrome as the marble is black and the walls are painted white - the hand rail is 'brass' so I pushed it to more mono toned and pushed the contrast a bit. Standing on the stairs, looking across and up to the landing on the left

Abstract architecture

feedback welcome

Real Name
    Jean

re: Abstract architecture

Sorry Mark, but even with your explanations I cannot see the rail nor the stairs.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Good one; i think, including the curvature fully within the frame at the top would have been better; but not sure

Real Name
    Mark

Jean, the stairs are under my feet bottom right - the handrail is the lower right white diagonal bar against the black marble wall of the stairs

Thanks, Nandakumar, the curvature is looking up from underneath to the wall of the half circle landing and thats all of it you see from the point I stood to take the image

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm surprised you explained the realism in the photo, as an abstract that is purely abstract doesn't suggest realism. A lot of photos are a blend of realism and abstraction but for me this one is pure abstract. It not only needs no explanation, in my mind it doesn't benefit from an explanation. An abstract very well done!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

When i opened this thread earlier, the curvature was not visible; now it is there!!!!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The only thing that hints of realism is that little tiny corner of the marble sitting on the left hand side, near the top of the image.

As for how well the abstract works is more down to personal taste.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Mike, much appreciated, for me it was to be an abstract but if others want to know the 'structure' happy to oblige - it was taken with the specific intent to make it abstract so happy that you feel it works well.

Manfred, indeed, appreciated. I did consider other crops but felt this one with the 'realist' aspect worked best - possibly there were other angles I could have taken it at that would have retained the aspects I wanted as an abstract without that bit but in, limited oportunity both from the position on the stairs and time with people using them. In this frame it does not work so well if I crop that and associated areas out - to my mind that is

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Mark, the image works for me as an abstract

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Abstract architecture

Thank you Binnur, appreciated.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

It is abstract and as has been said, having an explanation doesn't aid this because now I'm trying to 'map' this two dimensional abstract shape in to 3 dimensions, and like Jean, failing miserably.

Because there's no depth to perceive, at least, not that my brain can decipher, it doesn't work for me I'm afraid.
    I can see from a reflection on the edge of the curve that I ought to be able to 'think' myself in to seeing it in 3D, alas, no.

The combination of straight lines, triangles and curves, also doesn't work unfortunately, if I move the LyteBox to crop off the entire upper part, I'm happier with it (when all curves are banished).

Sorry, Dave

PS
    I can't 'see' those colourful matrix 3D pictures either, so don't be put off.

Real Name
    Mark

Dave, the explanation was directed to a query, it was not for an aid as such to 'understand' the image. My error was to try to place the image initially via the text I think Mike was spot on really and no text should have been placed with the image The image is abstract and does not need to be mapped to 3d the pattern of the lines,shapes and curves was exactly the point of it. As others say - personal taste.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by marlunn View Post
    The image is abstract and does not need to be mapped to 3d
    Indeed, many successful abstracts are two-dimensional by design.

Real Name
    John

Nicely seen and captured.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks John, appreciated