Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ross Bridge - Tasmania

Ross Bridge - Tasmania

Ross is mid way between Launceston and Hobart in the Midlands region of Tasmania. This bridge (which spans the Macquarie River) is the third oldest in Australia which is still in constant use. It was built in 1836 using convict labour. Much of the ornate carving is attributed to the convict stone mason Daniel Herbert.

The late afternoon light really brought the colour of the local sandstone to life.

C&C appreciated. Cheers, Richard.

Ross Bridge - Tasmania

----------------------------------------------------
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32094656@N04

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Ross Bridge - Tasmania

very nice indeed Richard; perfect colours, excellent composition. If you hadn't given us its location and history, it would also pass well for English midlands!

Personal and very minor, but if it was mine I would heal-brush out the top of the electric or phone pole above the stone wall at right and the twig coming down towards it and ending up mixed with the bushes at far right - very minor distarctions from the main focal area

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    very nice indeed Richard; perfect colours, excellent composition. If you hadn't given us its location and history, it would also pass well for English midlands!

Personal and very minor, but if it was mine I would heal-brush out the top of the electric or phone pole above the stone wall at right and the twig coming down towards it and ending up mixed with the bushes at far right - very minor distarctions from the main focal area

Chris
    Hi Chris, I've taken your advice - it does look better. I guess if you are going to build a bridge with english labour - even if they are convicts - it is going to look very english. Certainly a beautiful part of the world.

Cheers, Richard.

Ross Bridge - Tasmania

Real Name
    Chris

Great Richard.

History, not photography...I think the intention was to make the whole
    of the world as like England as possible! Although we have been brainwashed into thinking the transported convicts would have been the scum of the earth, more modern historians point out that it was virtually impossible for skilled and honest tradesmen to earn a 100% honest living in Victorian London and one false move in cutting a corner to feed your kids was all that was needed to secure a passage.